CaptainJackSparrow

Transformers One | September 20, 2024 | Prequel | Paramount | Animated

I'm gonna be honest that Deadline figure makes no sense considering the animation studio being used and generally how expensive they are. Deadline will report whatever the studios want out there though. The real number is probably somewhere in-between but not my business how their profits work out for them. I'm still hoping for a 40 mill weekend and keeping the faith, budget doesn't matter to my hopes for that number as a boone for the franchise and for theaters and theatrical animation at the end of the day. 

15 minutes ago, wattage said:

I'm gonna be honest that Deadline figure makes no sense considering the animation studio being used and generally how expensive they are. Deadline will report whatever the studios want out there though. The real number is probably somewhere in-between but not my business how their profits work out for them. I'm still hoping for a 40 mill weekend and keeping the faith, budget doesn't matter to my hopes for that number as a boone for the franchise and for theaters and theatrical animation at the end of the day. 

I mean, ILM did strange magic for 70 million. Hell, Rango was 130 but that was also one of the most hyper-realistic looking animated movies made. 

46 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

I know the Deadline article says the budget was $75 mil, but this kind of stunt isn't something you do when an animated film costs that little. Unless the film is projected to do extremely poorly...?

Cross promotion. Both movies are the same studio so costs nothing for Paramount to do this. They probably asked Keanu take 5 minutes to sign a few posters while he was voice acting Shadow.

Prizes were probably meant for Sonic 3 ticket buyers, but that movie doesn't need this gimmick.

54 minutes ago, wattage said:

I don't think you can really generalise "how expensive" an animation studio has been when they've only done 3 movies and all had wildly different budgets. Rango $130m, Strange Magic $70m, Wish Dragon $25m.

The animation in Transformers certainly doesn't look like anything special so I don't see why $75m sounds too low. 75M sounds pretty normal for a mid tier animated movie.

1 hour ago, Avatree said:

I don't think you can really generalise "how expensive" an animation studio has been when they've only done 3 movies and all had wildly different budgets. Rango $130m, Strange Magic $70m, Wish Dragon $25m.

The animation in Transformers certainly doesn't look like anything special so I don't see why $75m sounds too low. 75M sounds pretty normal for a mid tier animated movie.

Good point on Strange Magic though my memory of the film in its entirety was that the overall animation was not on the level with Rango. That's going off memory of that one admittedly since I haven't watched that one in a long time vs Rango which I rewatch pretty often. Wish Dragon wasn't ILM as far as I know, that's Sony Animation. Neither was Mutant Mayhem which Mojo brought up. 

I wouldn't agree that it looks mid tier either. There's clearly a ton of extremely detailed rendering happening here which is generally what drives up the animation costs especially for domestic and union based projects. 

Edited by wattage

2 hours ago, CheeseWizard said:

I mean, ILM did strange magic for 70 million. Hell, Rango was 130 but that was also one of the most hyper-realistic looking animated movies made. 

Rango inflation adjusted is higher than the 147 figure, that movie is old after all as is Strange Magic. I said in my other comment that my memory of Strange Magic can't really be trusted and trailers aren't everything so I can't speak to the quality of that one anymore. Just fuzzy memories. I can say that if you adjust that one too it's still bigger than the current figure by a significant amount.

Edited by wattage
typo

My opinion on budgets is as I said earlier, not my business to bother with the financials on their end if I think the number is suspiciously low then thats what I think and that's it. The world keeps turning. We get a number and then sometimes years later we get an article saying that actually the budget was a lot higher than originally reported which is why I raise an eyebrow on occasion. And none of that affects me, as long as Paramount is happy with the result on their end and we get more stuff. I don't track to look at their profits, I don't work there. It's largely about the theater end to me and looking at audience interest.

Edited by wattage

2 hours ago, Avatree said:

Rango was also done  when Computer animation was still costly. Since then, the cost of doing good computer animation has gone down a lot. probably due to new software being developed that does it cheaper.75 Million seems in line for Transformers.

4 hours ago, Mojoguy said:

Also Mutant Mayhem cost $70M.

But believe who you want to believe.

I didn’t include mutant mayhem cus it isn’t ILM, and I feel like it’s too non-standard to compare.

Honestly I think Strange Magic is a good point of comparison here, at least in the sense that both have somewhat realistically styled backgrounds and textures to them, and both cost similar amounts. 

Plus the more I think about it, even though in the live action films, the transformers are very expensive since every single part of them is designed to move, maybe the animation could be cheaper here since the transformers in this movie are likely much more simplistic rigs, maybe even moreso than most animated human rigs since they don’t have to deal with clothing and hair? Idk I can’t really understand how it’d still be less than 100mil but I mean, that could be an explanation at least.

Edited by CheeseWizard
  • Like 1

Not surprised this is doing poorly. Unless you’re a hardcore Transformers fan over like 45 years old and saw the 1986 film in theaters, you’ve only ever seen animated Transformers stuff on TV. Like idgaf about this movie and I’ve even seen Rescue Bots lol.

And relative to advancements in animation tech, the quality of the animation here looks on par with Predacon Rising, which was a TV movie.

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Like 1
  • Astonished 1
  • ...wtf 1
  • Knock It Off 1

I know I'm probably in the minority, but I didn't like this movie. Pacing was atrocious, it was boring and I was fighting to stay awake. The animation was also mediocre, imo. The action scenes were basic, paper thin. 

It's one of the worst animated movies I've ever seen. I don't understand the hype at all. I'm not even a Bayverse fan ( only enjoyed the first Transformers and a bit of the third one ), but his movies are miles better than this.

• Like 1
  • ...wtf 1

11 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

Not surprised this is doing poorly. Unless you’re a hardcore Transformers fan over like 45 years old and saw the 1986 film in theaters, you’ve only ever seen animated Transformers stuff on TV. Like idgaf about this movie and I’ve even seen Rescue Bots lol.

And relative to advancements in animation tech, the quality of the animation here looks on par with Predacon Rising, which was a TV movie.

“animation on par with predacons rising” 

I mean I kinda get that? I agree the bodies do animate near identically to the show albeit with slightly more moving parts and details, like visible hinges and segmented sections to make it so they have a high range of articulation without parts clipping into each other. 

But while the movement of the characters themselves are similar (though honestly I don’t actually see a way they could animate the bots better), i think the movie vastly improved in every other aspects, like lighting, reflections, textures and ESPECIALLY the backgrounds when compared to Prime. Like yeah, we get it, Nevada is 90% rock and desert. 

Also kinda worth noting that Transformers Prime was really fucking expensive aswell. Like, “1.6 million dollars per episode for a 2010’s show that on average had only 100,000 viewers” kind of expensive 

Edited by CheeseWizard

I have just seen this, and it's probably the most fun I've had in a cinema so far this year. The animation style and visual language of this one was gorgeous. There were multiple scenes especially in the 2nd act that were so beautiful to me. The action was great as well, especially the final fight. Although I must admit, just like in the live-action movies, there were times I couldn't see what exactly was happening. 😅 The voice cast was good as well. Keegan-Michael Key as B-127 is my favorite. Some parts of the story were kinda forced to me, but that didn't really affect my enjoyment of the movie, because I think the visuals and action alone are worth the ticket price. I'm curious where they'll go next. I don't know about you, but I think this deserves a Best Animated Feature nom at the Oscars. This is the surprise of the year for me.

9/10

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1