Plain Old Tele

Product Placement in Movies and TV

Yeah, people are just passive and credulous idiots who thoughtlessly follow and imitate what mass media show. Hypodermic needle model is impeccable, right? Surely influences of the media are not negligible. But is product placement the main culprit in the currently shallow and indulgent world? If product placement didn't exist, then certainly we would live in more noncommercial, mature society? I seriously doubt it. 

• Like 1

Watching this 7.000 costing movie called Primer that had Chevrolet and U Haul logos. If they got product placement deals would that more than cover the whole 7,000 budget?

When you're a micro budget indie you're not even sure you'll get distribution. So you roll the dice, because you can't afford to even modify props/sets/signage. You're so small the companies won't give a shit... but of course they're not gonna pay you either.

• Like 2

Yeah, people are just passive and credulous idiots who thoughtlessly follow and imitate what mass media show. Hypodermic needle model is impeccable, right? Surely influences of the media are not negligible. But is product placement the main culprit in the currently shallow and indulgent world? If product placement didn't exist, then certainly we would live in more noncommercial, mature society? I seriously doubt it. 

This.

this dystopian society that Dash describes doesn't exist/doesn't account for the majority of the population. It's a b&w logic.

According to Dash
A person buys a sport car because someone famous owns one, not because they are interested in sport cars, or because they have the money to buy a sophisticated car. 
People consume junk food because x someone is addicted to it (like seriously), not because it's easy, cheap or because they like it. 
iPhones aren't popular because the phone itself is great and easy to use.

He's not describing real people, in a real society. It's so much more complicated than that.

People have to stop blaming things/others and start looking at themselves, take the blame for themselves. Some are shallow, true, but that is their nature, it's not caused or aggravated by external influences.  

Maybe I'm brainwashed, so what do I know
Edited by Goffe
  • Like 1

We live in a country which is completely dominated and controlled by major corporations so this sort of thing is to be expected.

Honestly product placement I don't mind as long as its not in my face. It can take me out of a movie (MoS comes to mind immediately).

I don't remember MOS product placement besides IHOP and it didn't cause me to go to an IHOP as soon as I left the theater

Their mission is accomplished. Product placement is just to keep the brand reinforced. Like Coke pretty much is maximized, but they keep you aware of it forever. 

Seriously, watching Superman, and suddenly in the background, a 7-Eleven or Sears, like really? They could have easily done the fighting scenes near some houses or main street with some generic little shops. 

Their mission is accomplished. Product placement is just to keep the brand reinforced. Like Coke pretty much is maximized, but they keep you aware of it forever.

Seriously, watching Superman, and suddenly in the background, a 7-Eleven or Sears, like really? They could have easily done the fighting scenes near some houses or main street with some generic little shops.

So, I don't see the big deal here

You guys are all crazy. I don't even remember product placement in Man of Steel :rofl: And I didn't notice any in JW either. They have to drive a car. It is a Mercedes, what is the problem anyway? 

You guys are all crazy. I don't even remember product placement in Man of Steel :rofl: And I didn't notice any in JW either. They have to drive a car. It is a Mercedes, what is the problem anyway? 

no it is true. I was watching Lethal Weapon 2 with my friend the other day and we felt uncomfortable and began thinking of real world issues because the characters were eating at a Subway in one scene

also I felt that way during Roy Batty's death in Blade Runner because there was a giant TDK logo in the background. 

• Like 1

also I felt that way during Roy Batty's death in Blade Runner because there was a giant TDK logo in the background.

And you never asked yourself why there was a shot featuring a geisha promoting coke on a giant building sized billboard right when the hovering car passed by?

People have to stop blaming things/others and start looking at themselves, take the blame for themselves. Some are shallow, true, but that is their nature, it's not caused or aggravated by external influences.

Maybe I'm brainwashed, so what do I know

Yeah because people live in a vacuum...If you live in a society, you're influenced whether you like it or not. Maybe you're anti-social. We're influenced since the cradle, that shapes us. Do you have friends? The need to belong means that you're influenced, you don't buy something out of a pure simple individualistic drive, why a brand and not another, why the fidelity to one brand and not another? That's what is simplistic, that's pseudo-individualist mantra that prevails in american society like I'm totally free and in control of all my decisions whereas every corporations goal is to make you a mindless sheep in the herd hence the irony "Buy x item, the brand of the strong individual". Corporations alienate us and we're oblivious to that. Edited by MADash Rendar
  • Like 2

The need to belong means that you're influenced

is it? So, if there was just one person in the world, that person wouldn't ever feel lonely because there was no society to influence him/her?

why a brand and not another, why the fidelity to one brand and not another? That's what is simplistic

Because one is better than another? because x product appeals more to you than y? because you have been using that brand forever and you think it's perfect? you know the saying, If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Do you seriously think that if Apple starts to make bad phones or if Starbucks coffee gets worse, people will still buy from them? look at McDonald's, despite all efforts, their sales are dropping so much that they are considering shifting their business model, and their food didn't even get any worse (or better) for that to happen.

the thought that someone will consume x product just because of a product placement or because someone out there consumes it, is so simplistic, so simplistic that it's mind-boggling to me

I won't even bother with the rest because it's just rehash of your earlier post

However movies are made by big companies to make money. It is up to people to decide which movies they want to watch.

With no big money there are no movies. If they want to pay for ads to be in the film...then they can. If it is too much it hurts the films and hurts the return.

I do not understand your point Dash? Are movies a government program for the greater good of society so they should be more impartial?