Plain Old Tele

Product Placement in Movies and TV

I actually quite like product placement if it's done sensibly. If a film is set in the real world and someone is, for example, searching online for something using some mysterious unnamed search engine, then that actually takes me out of the movie. In the real world we all use branded products all the time, so I feel that characters in movies and TV shows should too. It only becomes a problem when either the camera or the writing makes a point of focusing on the product.

• Like 3

I actually quite like product placement if it's done sensibly. If a film is set in the real world and someone is, for example, searching online for something using some mysterious unnamed search engine, then that actually takes me out of the movie. In the real world we all use branded products all the time, so I feel that characters in movies and TV shows should too. It only becomes a problem when either the camera or the writing makes a point of focusing on the product.

Andrew Garfield usng bing instead of google in TASM always distracted me lol

It's weird, my roommate was just watching Big on tv the other day. When he takes Perkins back to his loft, he has the Pepsi machine, but it doesn't say Pepsi! It's got the red and blue but it's just blank in the middle!

I haven't seen this in forever, but I hope it wasn't always like this, lol. Surely they just lost the rights to show it? But even then it's really fucking weird that Pepsi would say they can't show it anymore. It's not like it's an offensive movie or anything.

To be fair, we see product placement all the time in the real world. Right this second someone on the board could be using an HP computer while drinking a Coca Cola or Pepsi while playing a Blu-ray on their Samsung Blu-ray player watching it on a Vizio television. 

:P

Anyway, bring on the man-eating dinosaurs I say :D

I'm currently:

- Viewing Box Office Theory

- On a Hannspree monitor

- Via Google Chrome

- On a Windows operating system

- Controlled by a Mad Catz mouse

- Typing with a Genius keyboard

- All powered by an Intel processor

- Combined with an Nvidia graphics chip

- Plugged into a Gigabyte motherboard

- Supporting my actions with Corsair memory

- Powered by an NZXT power supply

I'm also

- Drinking Coke Zero

- While listening to Avicii

- Using iTunes media

- Through Razer headphones

If someone were to film me and release a movie based on my writing of this post (and what a movie that would be, eh?), and all these products had their labels removed, then it would look odd and distracting.

• Like 1

If someone were to film me and release a movie based on my writing of this post (and what a movie that would be, eh?), and all these products had their labels removed, then it would look odd and distracting.

It wouldn't be distracting because (1) no one would know your personal taste in electronics except you and (2) if they shoot/frame things correctly, no one's gonna be paying attention to the little logos on every little thing. If it's a movie and they feel like making a deal with one company, then sure, maybe you're using an Intel machine or something.

In terms of OSes, I agree that it's nice when you see a real operating system... or at least something that approximates what that character would be using. (If you're a skilled hacker, for example, show me a terminal window using actual code.)

The best use of product placement (and funniest prayer) Ive ever seen. Theure so blatant with it, but unlike that Hawaii 5-0 Subway thing, it feels natural to the scene, and they get really clever with it.

• Like 2

It wouldn't be distracting because (1) no one would know your personal taste in electronics except you and (2) if they shoot/frame things correctly, no one's gonna be paying attention to the little logos on every little thing. If it's a movie and they feel like making a deal with one company, then sure, maybe you're using an Intel machine or something.

In terms of OSes, I agree that it's nice when you see a real operating system... or at least something that approximates what that character would be using. (If you're a skilled hacker, for example, show me a terminal window using actual code.)

I agree that when framed correctly it's not a problem. What I mean is that if the camera is focusing on something that in the real world would obviously be a labeled product, and instead the products get changed on the film due to legal issues - I personally find that distracting. I don't mean that every single product has to be labeled on screen, I just mean that if it were usually labeled, I don't want that to be removed/changed (though I understand why they have to do it).

Edited by Treeth Simanton

Product placement is brainwashing pure and simple.

One word : APPLE.

Except for Sony movies for very obvious reasons, Apple products have been present for the last 15 years in 98% of American films, from blockbusters, to comedies, to Sundance indies to horror and everything in between, every fucking time, it s an Apple computer they are using. 

Steve Jobs was a very smart salesman.

Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 1

One word : APPLE.

Except for Sony movies for very obvious reasons, Apple products have been present for the last 15 years in 98% of American films, from blockbusters, to comedies, to Sundance indies to horror and everything in between, every fucking time, it s an Apple computer they are using. 

Steve Jobs was a very smart salesman man.

Apple doesn't pay for product placement, though.

I noticed in Spy when they flew from Paris to Rome they showed a LAN Chile flight landing. I found it doubtful LAN would fly Paris-Rome. I just had a look and they don't even fly into Rome.

It was a LAN Airbus A320 which would never leave South America.

Edited by DeeCee