#ED

Weekend Estimates: JW: 102 IO 91...RTH: Sun JW 38.3 | IO 25.3 with possible upsides PG 287, possible 107M for JW weekend

When all's said and done I think TA's run will still be more surprising to me in that there was no precedent for it from earlier Marvel movies. JW's numbers are incredible but you can at least look to the first one to see something similar, not to mention the pre-release online hype being far more palpable than TA's. That's splitting hairs, though. A phenomenon is a phenomenon.

I completely disagree that JW had more pre-release online hype than TA. TA was fucking everywhere. The hype was real. JW was lower which is why its success is strange.

8TH UPDATE,

Monday, 8:34AM: Our sources this morning tell us that Universal’s Jurassic World crossed $400M yesterday with a cume of $403M-$404M. Universal hasn’t made it official yet. That makes JW the fastest to cross that mark ever at the domestic B.O., doing so in 10 days. It took 2012’s Disney Marvel’s Avengers 14 days. Sunday was just awesome thanks to Father’s Day when dads and sons take in action fare. Industry calculations show JW falling 2-3% from its $39.37M Saturday for a total of $38.2M-$38.6M. Weekend looks to be at $106.7M-$108.1M, which means that JW owns another record: Best second weekend ever, beating Avengers’ $103.05M haul. In addition, JW becomes the highest grossing title in the Jurassic Park franchise at the domestic B.O., beating the first installment which including its 3D re-release money made $402.45M. Even if Sunday dropped 5% from Saturday, JW‘s 10-day domestic cume is still past the $400M mark.

Wow!

$404M for JW. It beat JP1 in its 2nd weekend.

• Like 1

Look mate, numbers are numbers, adjust them correctly with a fair 3d share and 2004's top 2 movies from that weekend of May together end up higher than this weekends. Two 100m earners in one weekend is simple more impressive. I don't know why you are tryng to argue this if, you disagree with it then you are disagreeing with simple math.

And let's not pretend IO is this complex story which is hard to sell, the trailers looked appealing and relatable to anyone

Again... We have no idea how 3d would play for some movies, so you have to compare without the 3d, not downplaying 2004, but may be if you payed premium in 2004 the audience would be smaller may be! there isn't just simple math we can't say for sure how 3d would affect!

I don't get this negativity around this amazing weekend. Can't we just have both? like we were impressed in 2004 the same way we are impressed for todays numbers!

Edited by Mike Wazowski
  • Like 1

I completely disagree that JW had more pre-release online hype than TA. TA was fucking everywhere. The hype was real. JW was lower which is why its success is strange.

Dinosaurs are more universal than superheroes, so it is likely appealing to more people who wouldn't even think of watching a superhero movie (like old people). And that also explains why it doesn't get the WOM credit online that it deserves. I think JP4's WOM in the real world with regular moviegoers is just as good as TA1 or TDK, maybe even better.

• Like 2

Given the substantial number of 3D tickets Avatar sold, should Jurassic World approach/surpass $700M DOM, will it have actually sold more tickets than Avatar

I doubt it due to inflation and also IMAX/PLF increase since 2009. For instance, Regal and Cinemark didn't announce their PLF formats until spring 2010 (largely due to IMAX grosses by Avatar and TDK). They have expanded those PLF formats big time over the last 5 years. IMAX has gone from around 100 screens to over 350.

• Like 1

TA was fucking everywhere. The hype was real. JW was lower which is why its success is strange.

Yes, this success is very strange.

Should start crumbling any second now.

Edited by JennaJ