baumer

Weekend Thread JW 54.2M, hits 500 | IO 52M | pg 99

Seems like IO will probably limp its way to 300 mil which isn't bad at all... some people feared that this would be Pixar's first flop and nope. One of their bigger hits, no matter how you slice it at this point. For Disney, who are reeling from the failed TL, I'm sure they are more than pleased with the result here.

As for Ted 2... I know ppl are saying that it should have been huge but I just knew it. The trailers sold a completely boring story, and it's all due to Seth going in a safer, lazier direction rather than doing something legitimately insane again.

Nah I still think IO will cross 320m atleast. We should atleast wait for the final weekend numbers. As long as its above 50m this weekend. 320m should happen.

Yes, second is The Incredibles

Yeah it had a 28.7% weekend drop for a 50m weekend!! Third would be Up with 48m. Fourth Finding Nemo, I think, with a 46.5m. Mu would be fifth probably with a 45.6m second weekend.

Edited by Infernus

Do they explain what happened to Kunis character from the first Ted movie? I honestly think her character kept the movie together.

Yes

They divorced and the first half of the movie is him still depressed about it.

That's such a cop out ugh.

And there's a silly montage that doesn't really work

with Ted, Marky Mark and Gollum(yes, that's a running gag)

Edited by DeeCee

It can pass Avengers, but easy is not the term I'd use to describe it.

Assuming it does 47-47.5m this weekend, it will do 70m for the week. From here, 50% weekly drops will take it to 585m finish, 45% drops will take it to $600m finish and 40% drops will take it to $620m.

$600-610m is my range atm.

No way it misses Avengers. It is already leading by 43M on dailies. It has late June/July weekdays which will give that extra push. Only question is about 650M

• Like 1

No its definitely going to pass it. The worst case scenario is 620m. These are its late weeks its not gonna start dropping 50 or even 45% from here when it didn't drop that much even in its first two weeks. Plus it will have July weekdays for its late legs. Also we have the 4th of July week incoming. I dont see how its gonna drop so bad so as to lose a 43m lead over Avengers.

Should drop 45-50% against Ant-Man, Pixels, MI5 and F4. But July 4th could have a 25% drop since Terminator isn't exactly going to be huge, and Minions double features could keep JW at a 30-35% drop the week after, which would be enough for at least $620 million.

From a $50 million 3rd weekend:

$35 million over July 3rd frame 

$40 million for weekdays ($571 million) 

$23 million over July 10th frame

$21 million over weekdays ($615 million)

$10 million over July 17th frame 

$9 mlilion over weekdays ($634 million)

$5.5 million over July 24th frame 

$4.5 million over weekdays ($644 million)

$3 million over July 31st frame

$2.5 million over weekdays ($650 million)

$1.5 million over August 7th frame 

$1.5 million over weekdays ($653 million)

$660 million or so DOM finish 

@Fake:

Here's how I break it down:

If I had to guess, I'd say it starts dropping in the high 30's to low 40's after this.  So a pure guess would be:

After this weekend:  495 mill

Weekend 4:  30 mill

Weekend 5: 19.5

Weekend 6: 13

Weekend 7:  7

Weekend 8: 5

Weekend 9: 3.5

Weekend 10:  2

That's 80 mill 

That 32-34% hold against Ant-Man's $55 million-$75 million OW is questionable. Same with the 25-30% drop against MI5. I can see the rest of your predicts happening, though. 

No way it misses Avengers. It is already leading by 43M on dailies. It has late June/July weekdays which will give that extra push. Only question is about 650M

I think it'll hold decently enough over the next two weekends to just get over $650 million. If it has a sub-40% drop against Ant-Man, also, then I'd say $650 million is a near-lock. 

• Like 3

Yes, its legs are in line with Pixar's last few movies, but one may have been hoping for more given its original status and the more overwhelming praise compared to Brave

But unlike Brave, IO had a $90 million OW. $24 million than Brave's OW. Having a better 2nd weekend drop than Brave despite a $25 million lead would be phenomenal. 

Monsters Inc, Incredibles, Up and Finding Nemo are the only semi-recent Pixar films to have had sub-35% drops in their 2nd weekends, anyway. 38-40% was the lowest IO would have gone. 

Plus, Terminator and Magic Mike having minimal kid appeal should help Inside Out drop 20-30% next weekend. Assuming $48.7 million 2nd weekend, I would say $37 million next weekend, $43 million weekdays, so $80 million for the week. That's $263 mililon DOM. 

After that

$17 million (Minions' drop) - $296 million 

$13 million (Ant-Man double features) - $321 million 

$9 million (Pixels not being direct comp) - $338 million

$7.5 million (MI5/Vacation not being direct comp) - $352 million 

$5 million (Shaun hurts it slightly) - $361 million 

$3.5 million (Underdogs hurts it again) - $366 million 

$2.5 million (no comp) - $369 million 

$2 million (no comp) - $371 million 

$3 million/$3.75 million - $376 million 

$1.5 million - $378 million 

$382-385 million DOM finish. That's my best-case scenario at this point. 

I don't see this missing $300 million DOM, which is a win for this. Anything more is gravy, especially with Minions coming up and JW breaking out big time. 

• Like 2