baumer

Weekend Thread JW 54.2M, hits 500 | IO 52M | pg 99

WALL-E didn't do 320 million

Using WALL-E's multi from a $90 million OW would give Inside Out $320 million. I think it'll do more since it should be at $300-305 million by July 12th. And July/August will give it 15-30% drops after Minions. 

I don't think IO will do more than $350 mil (Minions will be strong), but a little less than is extremely possible and commendable considering what ppl thought may occur.

Minions targets little kids, while IO has more teen/adult appeal. After Minions' OW, IO will have some great holds until after Labor Day since Shaun and Underdogs won't be big. 

If IO does $54-55 million this weekend, and manages to hold decently next weekend, it should be over $15 million against Minions even with a 50% drop. I'm thinking 30-33% since Terminator/Magic Mike aren't exactly kid-friendly. Every other Pixar animated film had major family competition over July 4th (Ice Age 3/Transformers 2 for Up, DM2/Lone Ranger for MU, Amazing Spider-Man for Brave, Superman Returns for Cars, Transformers 1 for Ratatouille, Transformers 3 for Cars 2) except WALL-E. 

85m budget. It will make 250m+ WW  so its gonna be profitable. But there wont be Ted 3 of course

Well at least for another 5 years until they think short term nostalgia will come back and make it sucessful again.

So far we have 3 movies from 2015 that would have outgrossed 2014s biggest movie (that made 99% of its money in 2015), with the possibility of at least 4 more movies surpassing it as well (Inside Out, Minions, Mockingjay 2, Star Wars)

There's also a moderate to slight chance all of these movies have a crack at going for 300m (all of them have good to great 200m chances)

Spectre - 50%, it could ride the success of Skyfall or Skyfall may be the peak, it's a crackshot.  90% it makes 200m

The Good Dinosaur - 20%, this would have been lower earlier, but Inside Out broke out huge and it could easily ride the waves of both it and Jurassic World's success.  Plus there is an open december all the way to Star Wars (which would very likely double feature the Good Dinosaur with it). 85% it makes 200m

Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation - 5%, It hasn't been getting much attention, so the aim should be Ghost Protocol.  But it has a good spot to leg out in a fairly weak August.  60% It makes 200m

Ant-Man - I'd say around 5% if it pulls a Guardians, very unlikely.  60% it makes 200m

Pixels - 5%, it's a unique comedy that could pull in the late summer attention, 2015 has shown audiences are looking for fresh franchises (or old, nostalgic reinvented ones that are making their comeback).  50% it makes 200m

The Peanuts Movie - 5%, it is a nostalgic film and has a good distance from the last family one giving it room to breakout in a year that's been great for both mediums.  45% it makes 200m

Terminator: Genisys - 5%, it could break out similar to Jurassic World (not as big obviously), and has gained a lot of attention.  It's more likely it'll be moderate (150-200m)  40% it makes 200m

The record for most 300m movies in a year is 5 from 2012, it's pretty much inevitable this year ends with at least 6-7.    The record for most 300m movies adjusted is 6 (back in 2004), which makes it highly likely that 2015 can set the record for most 300m movies actual and adjusted ever.

• Like 2

Terminator: $30.5 million/$52 million 5 day

Jurassic World: $36 million/$58 million 5 day

It's certainly possible. Especially if Terminator has a lackluster Wed and Thurs.

I expect Terminator to Surprise some people

• Like 1

Saw Minions last week, and I can assure you WOM won't be good among teen, adults, and ever older kids. I LOVE minions (I have minion key chains and things like that) but the movie was super boring. I was asleep for like half of it. I mean, I enjoyed Turbo, Epic, or other mediocre animated films, even Home. I asked some of my friends who had already seen it, and literally ALL of them said they fell asleep too. But the little kids seemed to enjoy it. That's why I think Minions will affect IO only on OW. I hope it won't outgross IO, at least in NA.

They've been super conservative over the last two weekends.

I'd like to see them buck the trend, but I'm not expecting it.

$500m is a big deal. Doesn't even need that good of a Sunday number to get there. Hopefully they will show some guts and declare $500m this morning.

• Like 1

I expect Terminator to Surprise some people

All I was saying is that there's a real possibility of IO and JW finishing above Terminator/Magic Mike for the 3 day. Terminator is getting awful reviews and XXL is going to be extremely frontloaded. 

• Like 1

All I was saying is that there's a real possibility of IO and JW finishing above Terminator/Magic Mike for the 3 day. Terminator is getting awful reviews and XXL is going to be extremely frontloaded. 

Yup, I read some awful Terminator reviews. Think WOM will be rotten for it.

Okay, I will agree it is possible, but I don't except it to happen

• Like 1

Wednesday opening is a bad idea when your movie is getting trashed and doesn't have enormous fanbase guaranteed to watch (TF2).

• Like 2

Yup, I read some awful Terminator reviews. Think WOM will be rotten for it.

Why do some of you continue to do this?  Why do you equate critical reception to WOM?

• Like 2