baumer

Weekend Thread JW 54.2M, hits 500 | IO 52M | pg 99

Lol IO is not making more than JW on a Saturday. And I also like how you took the lowest estimate for JW's Friday gross and generously added a million to RTH's higher end for IO.

This is probably the worst case scenario for JW.

They could very well equal each other on Saturday, though. Definitely not loony. Especially if IO has $2 million on JW for Friday. And how is it generous? Last weekend, IO's estimate from RTH went up by $2 million and JW's went down by $2 million. I'm just using the standard from last weekend.

All I was saying is that JW isn't locked to win the weekend. I personally wouldn't be shocked if they're both within a million of each other by Sunday. 

• Like 1

Ohmygod I completely forgot about Max! Any numbers for Max?

Max: 16.7-19.83 Friday......source is Noctis disguised as rth

• Like 8

Wasn't a fan of the Hangover either. Haven't even finished it yet and I started it over a year ago lol.

Clearly teens have no good taste nowadays :)

Clearly teens have no good taste nowadays :)

Tell ya what, ill try it again sometime this summer and see if I like it any better :) When I saw it was about a year and a half ago so maybe my opinion will change but for now, not a great film.

It isn't Space Jam without Michael. That's like making a Jurassic Park movie without the T-Rex.

True...

And granted, Space Jam back in 1996 was a big hit when it came out. And it had The Looney Tunes.

It made $90M DOM and $230M WW....during the decade of the Disney Renaissance! And it was the highest grossing Non-Disney film at that decade for WB.

They could very well equal each other on Saturday, though. Definitely not loony. Especially if IO has $2 million on JW for Friday. And how is it generous? Last weekend, IO's estimate from RTH went up by $2 million and JW's went down by $2 million. I'm just using the standard from last weekend.

All I was saying is that JW isn't locked to win the weekend. I personally wouldn't be shocked if they're both within a million of each other by Sunday. 

Inside Out will likely win the weekend, but it's not hitting close to 60 and neither is JP hitting over 55 as you're projecting.

• Like 3

Inside Out will likely win the weekend, but it's not hitting close to 60 and neither is JP hitting over 55 as you're projecting.

Those were best-case scenarios for both. IO certainly can hit $54-57 million, though. 

$55 million for IO and $53 million for JW is pretty reasonable. I think both will be very close throughout the weekend 

Edited by mahnamahna

You mean actually "beloved", or "beloved" as used by BO prognosticators? In terms of the latter:

Anchorman was "beloved", Anchorman 2 barely outsold its admissions.

How to Train Your Dragon was "beloved", and we all know how the sequel performed domestically.

Kung Fu Panda was "beloved", its sequel also underperformed domestically.

Happy Feet was "beloved", and its sequel absolutely tanked.

And The Avengers being "beloved" didn't really help Age of Ultron.

The only recent films I can think of that were talked up as "beloved" and actually had their first sequel break out (or at least have a monster opening) were The Hangover and Pitch Perfect. Pitch Perfect absolutely fits the "original was beloved, sequel breaks out" template everyone always says is going to happen to other sequels that end up not actually taking off.

And in the case of TH2, I think it might have actually had the potential to outgross TH1 off of that huge OW, if the film had actually been good and hadn't gotten bad WOM from the people who did see it over the first weekend. (And just as TH2 opened huge off of the goodwill of TH1, TH3 dropped like a rock coming off of the buyer's remorse of TH2.)

Most of the big sequel breakouts in recent years have not been sequels to originals that people on BO forums have talked up as being "beloved". Despicable Me wasn't hailed as "beloved." Transformers wasn't hailed as "beloved."

Edited by TServo2049
  • Like 1