BoxOfficeZ

Monday 6.8 IO, 6.4 JW, 3.6 TED2

Omg, really? Mind my asking where you're from, bb?

Ahh, I'd love to hear your review after you've seen it! Hope you like it. :D

It is so fabulous. Number 3 on my Top 10 of the year so far. I've never cried more during a movie.

• Like 1

Have you read the book? I purchased it the other day. Sadly the film isn't at my local theatre

I haven't! The film is adapted by the author of the book so I am sure it is a suitable companion. The screenplay was really zany and quite fabulous. I hope it breaks out big when it goes wide.

It definitely has a fair share of critics who vehemently hate it. I am on the awardswatch website too and it just gets panned there. I don't agree with the comparison to other melodramatic YA movies, because this one is self-aware and shows some true moments of sincerity. I personally have it a 4/4 on my site and think everyone, especially millennials, need to see it.

I feel like Everest could be that "anonymous" breakout. Maybe not 300 big, but 250 perhaps. Blockbuster-esque movie to fill that fall void, cast is great, and Beaufoy's got an excellent screenwriting track record.

Maze Runner 2?

The Walk?

Pan?

The Martian?

Crimson Peak?

Everest isn't the only blockbuster esque film this fall. I'm actually thinking this Fall approaches 2002/2003 attendance due to how well-rounded it is

how theater owners are feeling  that they have to give their IMAX screens from Jurassic World to Terminator Genisys

4322kOT.gif

In Australia they are not from this week you have Imax screens play Docs(some locations) + IO + JP4 + T5 all on single screens

JP4 in particular is too big for them to pull completely even if they did for 1 week of T5 it would have been back next week.

Having said that London BFI Imax last day is Wed(on wkend JP4 @ BFI Imax was highest grossing of any movie at any cinema and its coming off, I gather they will bring it back, Wed sessions JP4 are pretty much sold out)

• Like 4

Except for IO, THG and Minions and some anonymous movie that no one sees coming.

Well Spectre and Good Dinosaur are way too obvious.

MI5 would need to be Fury Road good to have a shot at $300 million+

Ant-Man wouldn't be anonymous due to the Marvel brand and GotG doing the exact same thing last summer

The Martian is based on a #1 best seller and could be Ridley Scott's return to form, so not exactly anonymous especially since Gravity did $275 million 2 years ago

I'm thinking Pixels as the last 'huh????' mega-breakout for 2015 - $250 to 300 million, with Straight Outta Compton pulling a surprise $180-200 million a close second. Both of those would be odd. Trainwreck or Vacation or both breaking $200 million DOM would be 'huh????' too

Maze Runner 2?

The Walk?

Pan?

The Martian?

Crimson Peak?

Everest isn't the only blockbuster esque film this fall. I'm actually thinking this Fall approaches 2002/2003 attendance due to how well-rounded it is

One of those is bound to underperform; but I completely agree that late Sept/early oct look incredibly strong this year. Once we can get past that low point of late August/early September...

Mad Max Fury Road hit 360 million this week

with a budget of 210 million 

doubled for break-even at 420 million

Net LOSS = 60 million

It may be able to pull in another  10 million the rest of the way but it will finish it's run a loser.

50 MILLION DOLLAR LOSS- NOT A WRITE-DOWN LOSS BUT STILL A NET LOSS

Such a great film also. I still think they pulled to many theaters to fast IMHO! 

and no FRICKEN CHINA

China would have broke it even for sure....

Edited by Mitch

One of those is bound to underperform; but I completely agree that late Sept/early oct look incredibly strong this year. Once we can get past that low point of late August/early September...

Honestly, I'm thinking it'll be similar to fall 2003 where everything did solid, but not gigantic. (Except Martian)

September

1. Hotel Transylvania 2: $130 million
  2. The Maze Runner 2: $115 million
  3. Black Mass: $100 million
  4. Everest: $80 million
  5. The Intern: $60 million
  6. The Visit: $50 million

October

1. The Martian: $205 million
  2. Bridge of Spies: $145 million
  3. Crimson Peak: $120 million
  4. Pan: $110 million
  5. Goosebumps: $105 million
  6. Steve Jobs: $70 million
  7. The Walk: $55 million
Edited by mahnamahna
  • Like 1

Mad Max Fury Road hit 360 million this week

with a budget of 210 million 

doubled for break-even at 420 million

Net LOSS = 60 million

It may be able to pull in another  10 million the rest of the way but it will finish it's run a loser.

50 MILLION DOLLAR LOSS- NOT A WRITE-DOWN LOSS BUT STILL A NET LOSS

Such a great film also. I still think they pulled to many theaters to fast IMHO! 

and no FRICKEN CHINA

China would have broke it even for sure....

...but the budget isn't 210m (unless you're combining marketing in that total, in which case it's probably more). But we need to break things down further: it's a co-production between Warners and Village Roadshow. We don't know how much each invested; we know Roadshow got Australian distribution, at least.

The classic rough calculation for profitability is 2x production budget. In this case, 360m off 150m puts MMFR in a good spot. Even assuming WB shouldered most, if not all, of the marketing expenses, when you take ancillary revenue into account it's gonna be a solid cash cow for WB over the years.

Edited by Telemachos
  • Like 1