Alpha

Wednesday Numbers | Official Estimates: Magic Mike XXL - 9.3M; Terminator: Genisys - 8.9M

Actually, I was thinking within the last 40 years. I feel like we've built up somewhat of a myth of something which didn't really exist to the degree we "remember."

The only risky, original blockbusters I can think of off the top of my head is Star Wars, Titanic (if you count historical fiction) and Avatar. Almost everything else, I can think of ways it either wasn't risky or wasn't original.

Inception and Interstellar

• Like 1

Actually, I was thinking within the last 40 years. I feel like we've built up somewhat of a myth of something which didn't really exist to the degree we "remember."

The only risky, original blockbusters I can think of off the top of my head is Star Wars, Titanic (if you count historical fiction) and Avatar. Almost everything else, I can think of ways it either wasn't risky or wasn't original.

James Cameron: gambles big, wins big.

San Andreas did fine and it was also original. 

Different beast if it's star-driven. More of a rarity these days, sure, but give a movie to The Rock or Channing Tatum or Jennifer Lawrence or Leonardo DiCaprio or Scarlett Johannson Sandra Bullock or Bradley Cooper or a number of comedy stars (Ferrell, McCarthy, Wahlberg, Hart, Rogen, etc) and it'll probably open fine if it looks good/commercial enough (or if it looks better than The Judge). 

Similarly there are a small handful of directors that can open a movie--Cameron, Nolan, Spielberg--on their name alone. Even then though it has to have pretty good buzz/reviews going into its release. 

Edited by Gopher

OK, Inception is a good example, its concept was completely original and risky, but it was partially mitigated by being from the director of The Dark Knight and starring DiCaprio.

Interstellar was kind of a wash domestically, OS redeemed it.

• Like 1

OK, Inception is a good example, its concept was completely original and risky, but it was partially mitigated by being from the director of The Dark Knight and starring DiCaprio.

Interstellar wasn't as loved by American GA compared to many on this forum that were already hyped for it.

Different beast if it's star-driven. More of a rarity these days, sure, but give a movie to The Rock or Channing Tatum or Jennifer Lawrence or Sandra Bullock or Bradley Cooper or a number of comedy stars (Ferrell, McCarthy, Wahlberg, Hart, Rogen, etc) and it'll probably open fine if it looks good (ie if it looks better than The Judge). 

Similarly there are a small handful of directors that can open a movie--Cameron, Nolan, Spielberg--on their name alone. Even then though it has to have pretty good buzz/reviews going into its release. 

You are forgetting someone.

Michael-Bay-explosion.jpg

Interstellar did almost 190M DOM. Barely any original movies do that nowadays. 

• Like 2

Different beast if it's star-driven. More of a rarity these days, sure, but give a movie to The Rock or Channing Tatum or Jennifer Lawrence or Sandra Bullock or Bradley Cooper or a number of comedy stars (Ferrell, McCarthy, Wahlberg, Hart, Rogen, etc) and it'll probably open fine if it looks good (ie if it looks better than The Judge). 

No Chris Pratt yet?

After opening weekend a number of us were thinking under Prometheus. The legs were pretty good and the "low" opening itself proved hiw risky the project was.

It almost had a 4x multiplier from his OW. Legs were fantastic.