CJohn

Weekend Estimates: Minions - 115.2M; JW - 18.1M; Inside Out - 17.1M; Gallows - 10M; Self/Less - 5.4M; MMXXL - 9.6M; T5 - 13.7M

Why would a movie studio be embarrassed about making horror movies? That makes no sense. I do remember hearing that about paramount when they did the Friday the 13th series but even that makes no sense to me.

Horror is kind of like the tacky side piece of Hollywood. The studios like the money it gives them but the image is just so trashy. It's like how the premium cable channels will do everything to trumpet Girls, Masters of Sex, Outlander, shows that will give them buzz or critical cache, but aren't sending out press releases about the ratings for stuff like The Cathouse or Gigolos.

Good to see Minions come in on the high side of estimates. Universal is having an outstanding year, wonder how long the "course correction" will take and we'll all be thinking, "Remember when..."

• Like 1

mahna where do you think IO's total will end up?

$365-375 million. Maybe $355-360 million if Pixels does $70-75 million OW lol.

Shaun and Underdogs are just so tiny in terms of kid competition that I really don't think they'll affect Minions/IO much at all. Sub-$50 million DOM between the two IMO

IO having sub-50% drops it's 2nd weekend, a deflated 3rd, and now a mega-blockbuster in its 4th gives me hope that it'll recover big-time. And leg its way out past Labor Day.

Pixels is the only major roadblock for the next 1.5 months after Minions OW

Horror is kind of like the tacky side piece of Hollywood. The studios like the money it gives them but the image is just so trashy.

Really really disagree.

The studios are the first to boast when they open well.

Actually maybe so. Gopher's last update was $4.7m and that it could maybe move by a couple hundred thousand. It ended up at $5.3m official estimate. Fudge, fudge, fudge. :lol:

Seemed like Minions and Jurassic both increased. Maybe the last update was a bit under for everything?

• Like 1