CJohn

Weekend Estimates: Minions - 115.2M; JW - 18.1M; Inside Out - 17.1M; Gallows - 10M; Self/Less - 5.4M; MMXXL - 9.6M; T5 - 13.7M

And clearly u dont understand the simple concept of competition. My post went over your head.

Nope. I understood

You were saying IO would drop 40-45% no matter what it was up against this weekend.

I was just pointing out that it would have held better if Minions wasn't the big opener this weekend. It did $20-21m in weekdays, so a smaller opener (sub-$75m) would have allowed $21-22m for it and JW

a $55-60m opener that has slight crossover (Ant-Man, Pixels) wouldn't hurt IO as much as a $115-120m opener that's direct competition (Minions)

Just common sense.

hey red firebird, you were talking about a Jedi to TPM bump, I realized I should have given you the grosses for the original runs of the entire Star Wars trilogy:

SW77: $221.3 million

ESB: $181.4 million

Jedi: $252.6 million

So that makes the original run admissions:

SW77 - 99 million

ESB - 67 million

ROTJ - 80 million

It was a small bump to be sure, so you're right that Episode VII needs a bigger bump. Also, while the segment of the population who hated TPM was smaller during the theatrical run, the film did get mixed reviews, and there were people disappointed or even angered. We just didn't hear much about it then (and more people seemed to turn against it after it left theaters - myself included).

ESB's admissions drop is surprising, the film actually did get a mixed reception from audiences. (ESB's statute grew in the 90s, as the kids who saw it grew up, examined it from a more mature viewpoint, and embraced it. Watch the scene in Clerks where Dante talks about the downer ending, and life being a downer ending. Also pay attention to Randal's "blasphemy" remark that Dante prefers Empire to Jedi - I used to think that was just sarcasm, but in the early 90s, I'm not sure Empire was yet seen as the superior movie...)

But a key difference between then and now is that it was not EXPECTED to outdo Star Wars in any way. And also interestingly, the "darker/more introspective sequel drops from more upbeat mass-appeal original" effect seems to be in line with what would later happen to Batman Returns (though that had controversy over content as well), Spider-Man 2, and How to Train Your Dragon 2. (And Kung Fu Panda 2 as well? Never saw it, that's why I ask.)

Edited by TServo2049

How the fuck does the-numbers have actual weekend #'s when the studios only have estimates for their movies?

Because Universal seemingly has already released their numbers. the-numbers was just the first site to post them. It's no rocket science.

Edited by Elessar

hey red firebird, you were talking about a Jedi to TPM bump, I realized I should have given you the grosses for the original runs of the entire Star Wars trilogy:

SW77: $221.3 million

ESB: $181.4 million

Jedi: $252.6 million

So that makes the original run admissions:

SW77 - 99 million

ESB - 67 million

ROTJ - 80 million

It was a small bump to be sure, so you're right that Episode VII needs a bigger bump. Also, while the segment of the population who hated TPM was smaller during the theatrical run, the film did get mixed reviews, and there were people disappointed or even angered. We just didn't hear much about it then (and more people seemed to turn against it after it left theaters - myself included).

ESB's admissions drop is surprising, the film actually did get a mixed reception from audiences. (ESB's statute grew in the 90s, as the kids who saw it grew up, examined it from a more mature viewpoint, and embraced it. Watch the scene in Clerks where Dante talks about the downer ending, and life being a downer ending. Also pay attention to Randal's "blasphemy" remark that Dante prefers Empire to Jedi - I used to think that was just sarcasm, but in the early 90s, I'm not sure Empire was yet seen as the superior movie...)

But a key difference between then and now is that it was not EXPECTED to outdo Star Wars in any way. The "darker/more introspective sequel drops from more upbeat mass-appeal original" effect seems to be in line with what would later happen to Batman Returns (though that had controversy over content as well), Spider-Man 2, and How to Train Your Dragon 2. (And Kung Fu Panda 2 as well? Never saw it, that's why I ask.)

Sith had the "finale effect" to end all finale effects and Darth freaking Vader, but was still 25m admissions behind TPM. I really do think this is because by 2005 a lot of people had realized just how much they disliked the prequels whereas in 1999 there was still enough denial to get the repeat viewings required for that enormous ticket total for TPM. I'm hoping we can see a much bigger admissions jump from Sith to Force Awakens when compared with TPM's jump over Jedi.

Nope. I understood

You were saying IO would drop 40-45% no matter what it was up against this weekend.

I was just pointing out that it would have held better if Minions wasn't the big opener this weekend. It did $20-21m in weekdays, so a smaller opener (sub-$75m) would have allowed $21-22m for it and JW

a $55-60m opener that has slight crossover (Ant-Man, Pixels) wouldn't hurt IO as much as a $115-120m opener that's direct competition (Minions)

Just common sense.

Nope. Its ok though. Doesn't really matter who understands what. IO was never going to make 22 mill this weekend.