CJohn

Weekend Estimates: Minions - 115.2M; JW - 18.1M; Inside Out - 17.1M; Gallows - 10M; Self/Less - 5.4M; MMXXL - 9.6M; T5 - 13.7M

3D didn't save John Carter. (Has 3D saved anything?)

3D saves a ton of movies overseas. It suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks but it's clearly the smartest financial decision

Yeah, I was thinking that actually. If not for 3D, would it have even been deemed successful enough for a sequel?

Insurgent was also saved. It would have dropped big from Divergent without it. 

I'm gonna be out until 9-10 WST so I'm reasonably expecting everything to remain fine and calm and nothing to change until I'm back.

(my instinct is that Minions will land on the higher end of that range)

Edited by Gopher
  • Like 6

Mendes got plenty of creative control on Skyfall (and Spectre, from the looks of it), and it worked out swimmingly. It's clearly his movie and the film is all the better for it, and so was the box office. The last three Mission Impossible movies have had great reception (and by that I mean 3, 4, and 5, because apparently Rogue Nation is really good), and they've all had clear elements of their individual director's style and creative ideals. Raimi got plenty of power for the first two Spider-Man movies, and I'd say most people loved them. It wasn't until the studio forced Venom into the third one that their started being behind-the-scenes drama not related to Tobey's back, and it showed in the final product. For the first Avengers, everything tied into that movie, instead of the other way around, so for the most part Whedon got to make his movie, and it worked out. So while it is rare, there's enough examples to remain hopeful, I suppose.

Anyway, looks like the WC is going to determine whether Minions is just merely huge or whether it can potentially challenge Shrek The Third's record, but even 43 million would put the record out of reach.  And even if Minions looks mad annoying, a record is a record, so I'm rooting for it. I think that anything over 330 million domestic would (hopefully) put to rest any discussion of whether the Minions are the biggest part of this franchise's drawing power. There's still plenty of people who say its Gru. 

• Like 1