CJohn

Weekend Estimates: Minions - 115.2M; JW - 18.1M; Inside Out - 17.1M; Gallows - 10M; Self/Less - 5.4M; MMXXL - 9.6M; T5 - 13.7M

I always think that a ROTJ->Menace type of admissions jump (not including re-releases of cause) could be applied to Sith->JW7. Don't know what kind of attentance doesn't that translate into for JW7.

That would put it around 62m admissions, similar to B89. Enormous for sure, but not quite what the fans are probably hoping for. The release date should help. It's got that glorious Avatar/Titanic release date. Could help boost it quite a bit.

Pixar fans were so sure Toy Story 3 would beat Shrek 3's OW record...

For some reason, everyone was predicting a Saturday increase. That weekend was basically the turning point for people realizing that increases on Saturdays are not a thing for animated films during the summer.

Shrek 2 is to animation what Titanic is for movies in general in regards of admissions? Or even more surprising?

Titanic performance definitely more surprising than Shrek 2 performance, but Shrek 2 admissions are pretty much impossible to beat for animation movies today. Toy Story franchise is beloved and the supposed trilogy capper with "finale boost" and unanimous critical/audience praise still came up around 20m admissions short of Shrek 2.

• Like 1

No, that would be The Lion King. TLK's first run outsold S2's first run by 4-5m admissions. Around 75m for TLK and 70m for S2.

BOM says 74.6 for Lion King and 71 for Shrek 2, but they they are both higher than that when you account for child ticket prices. Lion King probably close to 80.

• Like 1

Titanic performance definitely more surprising than Shrek 2 performance, but Shrek 2 admissions are pretty much impossible to beat for animation movies today. Toy Story franchise is beloved and the supposed trilogy capper with "finale boost" and unanimous critical/audience praise still came up around 20m admissions short of Shrek 2.

Yeah, truly nothing has touched Shrek 2's admissions in animation since. Frozen didn't even get 60% the admissions of Shrek 2 for example.

• Like 1

The Lion King's run feels less like a monster to me than Shrek 2, probably because it got beat out by a film that came out just a few weeks later, whereas Shrek 2 wasn't beat by a film in the US until four years later.

The Lion King is probably the most revered animation film of the last 30 years, though. I mean, just look at how fucking massive its 3D release was. Gotta wonder if Disney will ever make a live action version.

The Lion King's run feels less like a monster to me than Shrek 2, probably because it got beat out by a film that came out just a few weeks later, whereas Shrek 2 wasn't beat by a film in the US until four years later.

The Lion King is probably the most revered animation film of the last 30 years, though. I mean, just look at how fucking massive its 3D release was. Gotta wonder if Disney will ever make a live action version.

It got beat by a live action historical drama/comedy that sold 78.5m tickets. Imagine a movie like Gump getting released today. Hard to imagine the audience and theater owners would give it enough of a chance to really sprout some legs for that kind of enormous run. 1994 was an incredible year between Gump/Lion King and stuff like Pulp Fiction, Shawshank Redemption, and Ed Wood.

• Like 3

TDK sold less tickets than Shrek 2 :ph34r:
  • Like 2

1994 just happened to have two additions to the 75m first run admissions club. But that's a very elusive club. So much so that even the monster hit Shrek 2 likely isn't a member. So yeah, TLK was massive. I was 4 during its run, so not like I can really objectively recall just how big it was then, suffice it to say I know there was TLK merch everywhere and that it was a pop culture phenomenon like Frozen was. That much I do remember. Shrek 2 was huge, but in a lot of ways its success kind of stayed at the box office. I don't recall abundant toys, tie ins, and everyday pop culture infiltration at the time.