Impact

Best Score-2015 predictions!

Predicting this category pretty much is down to any non franchise auteur/Pixar project (movies that actually deserve it typically) plus whatever Oscar bait is trendy when the members start voting. Anomalisa is as good a bet as any with its late release date

I don't agree with that. Besides, the score is very underdone and all of its tender moments are sold with zero music.

The biggest music moment involves "Girls Just Want to Have Fun."

I'd say the opposite is true for Desplat and THE DANISH GIRL. The score is incredible smarmy and is hugely tied in with the drama. It is very apparent and quite lovely when listened to alone but with the film it just comes off quite strong.

Obviously you are entitled to your opinion, but I don't think that you'll think so after seeing the movie. The score is pretty forgettable, which isn't a bad thing! It just doesn't need overtures and huge string and woodwind sections to elevate the effect.

I may end up agreeing with you, but I never thought The Hurt Locker's score would be nominated either

Fair. Beltrami was nominated the year before which I think had something to do with it.

This year seems to strong for something weird to happen even if things always do. I don't know.

Hope I didn't come off attacking.

what's the chance that Atticus Ross's phenomenal score for LOVE & MERCY could make the cut? It received widespread acclaim (as did the movie, which helps) and he has won an Oscar before. But I haven't seen any talk of it whatsoever in terms of awards.

is it ineligible? it partially uses mixes of beach boys songs, would that disqualify it?

Listening Love & Mercy. Anything special, IMHO. If the stronger/innovative Birdman score was not nommed in a weaker year (on paper) and despite being a BP contender, L&M is sure to be out of the conversation.

Um why are you trying to judge a score without watching the movie?

Um why are you trying to judge a score without watching the movie?

Well, a score might work for a movie, but that doesnt mean it is a good / innovative / memorable score. It could just be an effective one. I have not seen the movie (I have heard is really good), but Atticus score is quite plain, noisy and arty-crafty. It doesn't develop in any way through the cues...

Anyways, remember the Academy branch that select the scores nommed mostly judges each score not looking carefully to the movies they are in.

Inside Out is the one for me so far. Crazy that Giacchino only has one Oscar nom (also a win) to his name thus far.

As for the eligibility of scores, I think the Academy makes it up as they go along. I'm still dismayed that Jonny Greenwood's incredible score for There Will Be Blood was deemed ineligible.

Listening to Steve Jobs score right now. Looks pretty solid.

1. Williams - Star Wars 7

2. Giacchino - Inside out

3. Newman - Bridge of Spies

4. Morricone - Hateful 8

5. Pemberton - Steve Jobs

alt.

Desplat - danish girl

Lang - Youth

Johannson - Sicario

Newton Howard - Concussion

Danna - Good Dinosaur

Good Dino is composed by 2 people-isn't there a rule against nominating 2 or more people in this cat? (though in 2009 2 people were nominated for Mr. Fox)

BTW-though it probably wont be nominated for a Oscar-wouldn't surprise me if Southpaw gets a Globe nom due to it being the composers last film.

Thanks-there are so many rules at the Oscars that some we don't even know!

One of the oddest is that the category best adaptation of a musical still exists even if the category hasn't been used since 1984!