CoolioD1

Best Animated Feature 2011

Well, to be fair, animated films on average are of high quality than live action films. I remember there were a lot of people complaining that there weren't enough noms last year.This was just a down year for the medium; not much can be done about that. At least it's not as bad as 2006.

This is true and can't be disputed. In general these movies are made of much higher and consistent quality than live action films.If we remove dreck like generic action, rom-com, horror and comedy films which never have even the slightest intention of going for Oscar, that 30% doesn't look that great anymore.

Arthur Christmas was brilliant. I loved it more than Rango. Unfortunately it probably won't win the Oscar.Back to Wallace & Gromit and Chicken Run humour and not like Flushed Away.I'd like to watch it again sometime.

Edited by BK007

The Smurfs was disqualifiedhttp://www.altfg.com...imated-feature/Not huge news as far as the noms go, and there are still more than 15 so it'll still be more than 5 nominees. But it does reinforce just how confusing the Academy's rules are.

I get the feeling Sony only submitted it in order to boost the chance of getting Arthur Christmas a nomination.

Interesting THR roundtable with the directors of the movies in competition

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/hollywood-reporter-animation-roundtable-tintin-275984

I agree with what Gore Verbinski said about adult animation

Verbinski: What I’m saying is we could make animation that’s not for the kids to see, too. I don’t think you want to say, “Hey, bring your family to this movie that’s inappropriate.” But animation can be so much more if we let those boundaries loose. PG-13 can be action-adventure -- you could make a PG-13 version of Treasure Island. I think there’s room.

Doesn't look like it'll be happening at Pixar judging from Lasseter's responses, but I'm fine with that. Now that he's got Rango out of the way Verbinski would appear to have the most clout out of anyone to make a big-budget PG-13 animated movie. Maybe with a higher rating it could actually do better than Rango since the marketers would have a better idea of who their audience is.