Bishop54

Monday Actuals: Ant-Man $6.40M, Minions $5.78M, Trainwreck $3.54M, JW $1.37M

This whole idea of calling movie with massive box office reminds me of an article I read that said that SW7 was almost guaranteed to make $2 billion and if it didn't make that then the blame would be on Abrams, it literally actually said that. Kind of interested to see the reaction to SW7 on OW given how many people seem to have forgotten that it's opening in December.

SW7 is already so overpredicted everywhere (mostly talking about people who don't really follow box-office), it's gonna be interesting to see how it plays out.

It's gonna be huge, no doubt, but seeing people talk as if it's locked to take the OW record (in December), or as if 700m is the bottom for it... just no.

Minions 2nd Monday 1.2 million below Inside Out. I think the ceiling is now 340. It won't be able to match DM2 3rd 4th and 5th weekday holds. Interesting to see next week if it's holds collapse even more.

Collapsing. Disaster. Flop.

• Like 2

SW7 is already so overpredicted everywhere (mostly talking about people who don't really follow box-office), it's gonna be interesting to see how it plays out.

It's gonna be huge, no doubt, but seeing people talk as if it's locked to take the OW record (in December), or as if 700m is the bottom for it... just no.

lol even ESB and ROTJ didn't make 700M adjusted when discounting the re-releases XD

• Like 1

I'm sorry, but the general audience isn't considering Minions as a (spin-off). Heck, kids even call the first movies (Minions Movies). This movie has poor word of mouth and that WILL have an effect on the franchise going forward, no matter how much this profits.Don't forget to add to that 75million budget what could be the one of the most expensive marketing campaigns ever, aside from consumer product tie-ins.

And? God you're desperate.

Even THE most expensive marketing campaigns ever are $175 million, add the $74 million production cost to that and you have a $249 million investment. Even using the lowest possible percentages for what Universal will get back from the domestic and international grosses they're doubling their money before merchandise, home video, OnDemand, and TV.

• Like 3

Minions may have had a low budget but add in the marketing campaign and it probably cost just as much as inside out to produce and distribute. Still, it will be a bigger success due to its worldwide tally but it is a brand so it's entirely expected.

IO's production cost is $101 million bigger than Minions. They did not spend only $74 million on marketing and distributing IO globally.

Relax PDC1987. We all know Minions is a big financial success for Universal. That's undeniable. That's not interesting to debate anymore. What is interesting, is it's place all time, it's place against another animated flick released around the same time and it's positive or negative possible effect on the franchise. Don't get your panties in a twist. Do we all need to gather around for a circle jerk on the movie and give three clears for its financial success to be able to move on to what it will do from here and other interesting facts about its theatrical run?

Relax PDC1987. We all know Minions is a big financial success for Universal. That's undeniable. That's not interesting to debate anymore. What is interesting, is it's place all time, it's place against another animated flick released around the same time and it's positive or negative possible effect on the franchise. Don't get your panties in a twist. Do we all need to gather around for a circle jerk on the movie and give three clears for its financial success to be able to move on to what it will do from here and other interesting facts about its theatrical run?

That's not what you're doing and you know it.

What's a more realistic number for December for a movie like this??

The current December OW record holder is in the 80m range. Star Wars will fairly obviously do more than that, but 120m more seems like quite the jump.

Edited by Orestes

Just saw AntMan..... I loved it. I would put it on par with the first Iron Man and Paul Rudd definitely has as much charisma as Robert Downey junior.

B, I'm going to need you to come back to your senses before our debate. I can't have my partner talking all gibberish like this. 

This would be fantastic news!

Competition among the trio of new releases could allow “Ant-Man” to retain its box office crown. The film debuted to $57.2 million and could be headed to a sophomore weekend of roughly $30 million.