grim22

Cruddy Weekend Estimates: A-M 24.77m, Pix 24m, Minions 22m, Trainwreck 17.2m, Southpaw 16.5m, PT 12.5m,

Slightly different case, IMO. It was a sequel to a 600M WW hit. No Sandler movie comes close to that. 

But for some reason, Sony considered that Sandler was making money for them and they accepted to pay him shitload of cash for his movies.

Sandler is one of the wealthiest actors of his generation.

As other people mention, don't forget he has his production company, he gets acting, producing, writing paychecks/fees.

• Like 1

Ventura Blvd at Laurel Canyon and Laurel Grove has been shut down due to an active shooter on the loose. Doesn't Tele live somewhere in the Sherman Oaks area i.e. less than 5 minutes from there?

Less than five minutes?! Grim, you live in SoCal, you know *nothing* is ever five minutes from anywhere. :lol:

(I'm fine, wasn't in the area when it happened, but I got hammered by the ensuing traffic jam.)

• Like 3

Blended is his first movie in many many years with a normal budget. Just 40M. Pixels only cost 88M. That is the same as Grown Ups 2 :lol:

Because Blended was not Sony. WB probably saw the average return on a Sandler movie and made the budget lower which probably got them a decent return on investment at the end.

Less than five minutes?! Grim, you live in SoCal, you know *nothing* is ever five minutes from anywhere. :lol:

(I'm fine, wasn't in the area when it happened, but I got hammered by the ensuing traffic jam.)

Cool, good to hear you're fine. I did hear that traffic is a bitch right now

• Like 1

Apparently film festival acquisitions have not been doing so hot at the box office recently: http://www.wsj.com/articles/a-bad-summer-for-indie-movies-1437690182#pq=05819i

Eh...

I think the majority of industries have not yet figured out how to market in the digital age.

Yes, still.

That's not to say these indie movies will even get an audience though. These days, it's mostly what will reward me for my expense and with high quality TV, dramas/thrillers/comedies/romance films are normally shafted. It has to be an event to go hence why VFX films do well.

For myself, there has to be some amazing hook. I'm not even brought up in America, so where I live, it has always been blockbusters first. 

Me, Earl and the Dying Girl might have got great reviews, but many of these indie films do and many of them retread the same territory, so I can see why it didn't do as expected. The days of the non-star are not here yet though they are the future IMHO. It's exciting to see what the industry will turn into, but right now, especially in economically trying times, a couple unknowns in an indie coming of age story is, to many, yet another overplayed genre. 

There's also the fact that people get burnt when movies are generally crap. This year has been full of shit despite the BO. 

Furthermore, the way indies work to build up WOM, I don't think the current theatre climate is made for them. Films get dumped at extraordinary speed despite the amount of theatres and screens we have today. There needs to be more of a structure of support but how is it possible when the nature of indie filmmaking is independent and fractured? 

One way could be to make them "Events" by having a sort of rotational showtimes for a huge number of indie movies at specifically geared theatres. But unless your movie really stands out, and keeps selling out and demand increases to the point it gets to move to all the commercial multiplexes, not sure how people are getting back their investment. 

• Like 1

Because Blended was not Sony. WB probably saw the average return on a Sandler movie and made the budget lower which probably got them a decent return on investment at the end.

Every movie starting in Anger Management had a 80M budget, Sony or not :lol: 

That's my boy any good?

That's My Boy resolves its entire plot through taking the position "Incest is worse than statutory rape". If that sounds like a good movie, then yeah it is. I would rather watch Jack and Jill instead of That's My Boy.

• Like 1

Nothing will beat How do You Know s budget though : 120m.  :blink:  :wacko:

That movie had 2 sets, 3 different dresses for Witherspoon and a 20-25m$, 10 minutes Jack Nicholson cameo, who ever greenlit this must have lost his job ...

Edited by The Futurist

That movie had 2 sets, 3 different dresses for Witherspoon and a 20-25m 10 minutes Jack Nicholson cameo, who ever green lit this must have lost his job ...

Sony's management is magnificent. It is surprising they are still alive. 2015 should put an end to them. 

That movie had 2 sets, 3 different dresses for Witherspoon and a 20-25m$, 10 minutes Jack Nicholson cameo, who ever greenlit this must have lost his job ...

It was a clusterfuck of a budget, but three different dresses for Witherspoon? That's a drop of water in an ocean of overspending. The trouble was signing everyone to significant upfront money.

• Like 1

No idea what possessed Sony to not get the merchandise rights for their movies. More money is made from merchandise as opposed to movies nowadays.

They also appear to be having trouble with Ghostbusters, they barely own that franchise as a whole. Also there's no company mad enough to let go of merchandise rights in 2015.

Columbia's likely scenario is to start a partnership with a different studio. 

They also appear to be having trouble with Ghostbusters, they barely own that franchise as a whole. Also there's no company mad enough to let go of merchandise rights in 2015.

Sony's issue is that they have no IPs to exploit at a time when audiences won't show up for something that is not already well known. Ghostbusters, Jump Street and MIB all have finite life spans, they are not exactly IPs you can continue to mine unlike the comic books or Star Wars with a number of different characters (and even there we will run into much lesser known characters soon).

This is also the reason Paramount is doubling down on Transformers, Terminator, TMNT and Mission Impossible.

Edited by grim22
  • Like 2

That's My Boy resolves its entire plot through taking the position "Incest is worse than statutory rape". If that sounds like a good movie, then yeah it is. I would rather watch Jack and Jill instead of That's My Boy.

That's My Boy is insane. 0 funny jokes. The incest twist outta nowhere. I was embarrassed of being watching that in a theater. Never saw Jack and Jill or Grown Ups 2. 

That's My Boy is insane. 0 funny jokes. The incest twist outta nowhere. I was embarrassed of being watching that in a theater. Never saw Jack and Jill or Grown Ups 2. 

At least Jack and Jill has what may be Al Pacino's lowest moment ever on film