grim22

Cruddy Weekend Estimates: A-M 24.77m, Pix 24m, Minions 22m, Trainwreck 17.2m, Southpaw 16.5m, PT 12.5m,

Yeah I'm aware, but Netflix signed a four movie deal with Sandler, and I wouldn't be surprised if they already regretted the deal.

Sandler still has a huge fan base and many will gladly watch his films on Netflix. Whether they are still willing to go to the theaters to see his work is an entirely different thing. But the Netflix deal should definitely be profitable.

Online / streaming movies seem to be the future of cinema outside of blockbusters and potential comedy hits, it seems.

I'm not totally against this, I enjoy watching smaller films at home. But I'm not sure where the individual film profit for Netflix comes in? Why the big budget films? How does it really help them in the long run given they already have a large number of subscribers and a large base of films.

Sandler still has a huge fan base and many will gladly watch his films on Netflix. Whether they are still willing to go to the theaters to see his work is an entirely different thing. But the Netflix deal should definitely be profitable.

Maybe, but we have no idea how well Netflix's original movies will do, considering the first one hasn't been released yet.

I'm not totally against this, I enjoy watching smaller films at home. But I'm not sure where the individual film profit for Netflix comes in? Why the big budget films? How does it really help them in the long run given they already have a large number of subscribers and a large base of films.

All good questions.

I don't know, but I'd like to. How many views does it need before they go...yeah, that was worth it? I can't imagine downstream sales will be huge...how do you negotiate TV deals outside the Netflix window? Cause...there's so much money there...but...it's usually box office driven in pricing.

I don't know. I guess Netflix figured since they were doing so well with their own TV shows, that branching into movies was the next thing to do, and getting major stars involved was just a nice surprise.

Would go with arms wide open

6swcVYh.gif

Pink and the Bloody Souls: A Love Story

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lLmYLw0WRI

Followed by the sequel: Metal Gear Pink: The Kojima Affair

Edited by 4815162342
  • Like 1

I don't know. I guess Netflix figured since they were doing so well with their own TV shows, that branching into movies was the next thing to do, and getting major stars involved was just a nice surprise.

Surprise?

More like calculated decision.

Now...to see if it works.

Honestly I feel like from an outside perspective...the only way to truly judge if it's working is...if they keep doing it.

Online / streaming movies seem to be the future of cinema outside of blockbusters and potential comedy hits, it seems.

Hahaha, no. :lol:

With the home video market dying in recent years, releasing movies in movie theaters will still be the best way for studios to make money. I don't see that changing for a long time.

Netflix can't compete with the hundreds of movies Hollywood releases every year.

Edited by Mojoguy

All good questions.

I don't know, but I'd like to. How many views does it need before they go...yeah, that was worth it? I can't imagine downstream sales will be huge...how do you negotiate TV deals outside the Netflix window? Cause...there's so much money there...but...it's usually box office driven in pricing.

How do the views matter though? All of the content is ad-free and all payed for in one package. I mean I get they need attractive options to keep subscribers, but why invest millions into making your own movies instead of investing a quarter as much to distribute?

How do the views matter though? All of the content is ad-free and all payed for in one package. I mean I get they need attractive options to keep subscribers, but why invest millions into making your own movies instead of investing a quarter as much to distribute?

Netflix pays their employees very well.

So I'd be happy to answer these questions...but Netflix...you gotta pay me. Cause I'll be damned if I know right now. But I could...

Edited by kowhite

Hahaha, no. :lol:

With the home video market dying in recent years, releasing movies in movie theaters will still be the best way for studios to make money. I don't see that changing for a long time.

Netfliix can't complete with the hunders of movies Hollywood releases every year.

Like I said, blockbusters and big budgeted movies will still get released, but smaller films will likely get released online, before they head to theaters, and even then it'll be in a small amount of theaters.

Surprise?

More like calculated decision.

Now...to see if it works.

Honestly I feel like from an outside perspective...the only way to truly judge if it's working is...if they keep doing it.

Yeah, I remember some people were doubting their original shows, and most of those have been pretty successful.

Edited by Insidearcher