CJohn

Bad Boys: Ride or Die | June 7, 2024

Have just seen this and this has been the most fun I've had in the theater this year. [Although there were only four of us in the cinema.] I haven't seen part III so I might have missed some references here, but I thought the story was pretty much easy to follow.

First, we don't get to see movies like this often and I am glad they still exist. Visually, this looked good. I was surprised that some scenes were like made for 3D. The camerawork was insane. Adil & Bilall definitely put their signature here. Although at times I thought the camerawork tricks were too much, but overall, it worked for me. I would not be surprised if the duo gets the SPIDER-MAN IV gig. I loved the action scenes, and there was one in particular that I think a lot of the audiences would love because of how tensed and amazing it was. Lawrence was absolutely hilarious here. His comic timing and delivery was just effortless. I think 99% of the time I laughed was because of him.

What I really liked about this is that it gave a lot of the cast time to shine. I had expected this would just be more of a Smith-Lawrence show, but it wasn't, and I thought that kind of balance was cool. Every member of the cast, known and not much known, did a good job.

I really hope this finds an audience, not just because of how dire the box office has been, but simply because this is a really great, fun, and funny time at the theater.

7.75/10.0

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, efialtes76 said:

Underwhelming OD in France&SK.

It is a disappointing overseas start but hardly surprising. The overseas share for the last one was barely over 50% and that was before international market was more friendly to Hollywood product. And black-led movie tends to underperform internationally (See LM, Creed 3 and ATSV). This round Will Smith (probably the most welcomed black star internationally) isn't very forefront in the center of marketing. 150m overseas finish would be ok assuming domestic take 175m this round.

Sounds like this is a crowdpleaser.  So even if it does not break out as much as we want it to this weekend due to the current marketplace woes , it should have legs and no real competition for the R rated action comedy genre until DP and W.  Got to love the post strike light schedule so these movies are having legs. 

That was a ton of fun, biiiiig step up from For Life (liked it but very generic). Probably the craziest and coolest camerawork I'll see all year, at least tied with Challengers, Adil and Bilall shoot the hell out of this movie. Very much a crowdpleaser, the audience (and myself) were laughing a lot throughout. I wish there was a bit more action though, felt a bit sparse but what we do get was great.

4 minutes ago, TheDude391 said:

That was a ton of fun, biiiiig step up from For Life (liked it but very generic). Probably the craziest and coolest camerawork I'll see all year, at least tied with Challengers, Adil and Bilall shoot the hell out of this movie. Very much a crowdpleaser, the audience (and myself) were laughing a lot throughout. I wish there was a bit more action though, felt a bit sparse but what we do get was great.

Good to hear. I love Bad Boys For Life. Don't get the generic and underwhelmimg complaints from people.  So the fact that this may be better is great.

• Like 1

Really enjoyed this. It's good old summer popcorn fun. However I feel like it was underbaked in a way. Like there were some scenes that could have hit harder but just didn't. Could be tied to the frenetic pacing and editing.

Still extremely entertaining and definite recommend! These movies are fun!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, PrinceRico said:

98 verified audience score so far 

GPeVmKybEAAamTR?format=jpg&name=smallThe onl

Lower critical score than "Bad Boys For Life" but same good Audience score.  As I said, Audiences score for this franchise has always been high.  I think the critic score has to do with this film channeling Michael Bay more.  It was definitely "Bayhem" influenced.   

• Like 1

11 hours ago, filmscholar said:

GPeVmKybEAAamTR?format=jpg&name=smallThe onl

Lower critical score than "Bad Boys For Life" but same good Audience score.  As I said, Audiences score for this franchise has always been high.  I think the critic score has to do with this film channeling Michael Bay more.  It was definitely "Bayhem" influenced.   

Critics are always looking for more (which isn't always a bad thing). Audiences more and more are just looking for a fun time for their buck.

GPipi05bAAAzQKq?format=jpg&name=900x900

They Did It.  4th Straight "A" Cinemascore.  Though this is the first "A -" but still an A.   Told you guys audiences absolutely love this franchise.  There's a reason "Bad Boys" and "Bad Boys II" have constantly been on television for the last two decades plus because it's just a crowd pleasing franchise.  Every "Bad Boys" is a fun and enjoyable movie.  

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Mad Max007 said:

The second one is still the best, peak Bay. The third one actually feels like the fourth, was good enough.

I will always love the first one best because it was like the perfect timing.  It was literally like "Martin" and "The Fresh Prince" THE MOVIE.  Them coming together at that time was electric.  Yes it was Michael's first movie but the rawness of it really shines.  After that movie Michael, Will and Martin's movie careers exploded.  The Sequel was crazy.  Bay went nuts in that movie.  "Bad Boys II" was the longest one and had the biggest budget.   I also think based on admissions it sold the most tickets too, I could be wrong.  I have to look it up.   

Edited by filmscholar

I love BB 2 for all it's Bay excess but For Life is the best overall movie of the first 3 easily. I am surprised how many people say they think it was just okay or were underwhelmed it. One of those audience/critic disconnects where a portion of the fanbase likes the movie with a RT critic score of 24% over one with 76%.   For me it goes 3 2 1. I am seeing ROD today. Will see where it lands.

19 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

I love BB 2 for all it's Bay excess but For Life is the best overall movie of the first 3 easily. I am surprised how many people say they think it was just okay or were underwhelmed it. One of those audience/critic disconnects where a portion of the fanbase likes the movie with a RT critic score of 24% over one with 76%.   For me it goes 3 2 1. I am seeing ROD today. Will see where it lands.

I just think fans lived with "Bad Boys" and "Bad Boys II" much longer.   "For Life" feels much more tame action wise in comparison to the other two.  It had a really good story and brought the drama that's why I liked it. It was a nice comeback for them after a long hiatus.   "Ride or Die" brings back the energy of the first two though.   

Posted (edited)

Between this and Apes maybe Cinemascore is just getting better at factoring in nuanced opinions

That is, an A- actually means an A- in the school grade sense here

Edited by AniNate
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, filmscholar said:

I just think fans lived with "Bad Boys" and "Bad Boys II" much longer.   "For Life" feels much more tame action wise in comparison to the other two.  It had a really good story and brought the drama that's why I liked it. It was a nice comeback for them after a long hiatus.   "Ride or Die" brings back the energy of the first two though.   

Yeah makes sense. I think the action is really good in For Life even if it is scaled back a little. The mid movie chase scene is great and the climax in the villian  base is so well shot and exciting. Glad to hear they step it up though in ROD and yet still did not raise the budget that much.

5 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

Quite surprised by the A- cinemascore since the Posttrak at 5 Stars and 97% VA score all suggest an at least A cinemascore. 

Not really directed at you but the focus and concern about the CS is getting a little overblown, The biggest grossing movie of the summer and the only one to cross 100 million Apes  had a B CS.