Asyulus

Not So Fantastic Weekend Thread | MI5 29.4, F4 26.2, Gift 12, Ricki 7, Shaun 4, Vac 9, AM 7.8

JW and AOU completely saved this summer box office wise, without them this summer would pale compared to last year. It would have been interesting to have two animated movies be the top two, has that ever happened?

I still hold that most movies this summer did meet expectations or exceed them though. The only ones that truly underperformed are Tomorrowland, Terminator, Ted, and now FF. So it was always going to be a top heavy summer. Nothing beyond the top 4 ever had 200+ potential, imo. Well, I originally thought Tomorrowland did, but obviously I was living in a fantasy there.

• Like 1

Wow. So it was frontloaded after midnights. I don't think that's because of anything other than people had already prepaid for their preview tickets before the WOM bomb that went off yesterday. When a director disowns a movie and that makes the news, apparently word does get around pretty fast. It's at 31% liked by users on RT and dropped to 4.1/10 on IMDb(from 4.3 last night). This will be looked back on as how online WOM can actually kill a film before it's even released. Even though I never thought I'd like it, I'm astounded by how much of a debacle this film has quickly become.

• Like 7

I still hold that most movies this summer did meet expectations or exceed them though. The only ones that truly underperformed are Tomorrowland, Terminator, Ted, and now FF. So it was always going to be a top heavy summer. Nothing beyond the top 4 ever had 200+ potential, imo. Well, I originally thought Tomorrowland did, but obviously I was living in a fantasy there.

Many thought MI and Ant-Man could have crossed 200M.

• Like 2

Wow. So it was frontloaded after midnights. I don't think that's because of anything other than people had already prepaid for their preview tickets before the WOM bomb that went off yesterday. When a director disowns a movie and that makes the news, apparently word does get around pretty fast. It's at 31% liked by users on RT and dropped to 4.1/10 on IMDb(from 4.3 last night). This will be looked back on as how online WOM can actually kill a film before it's even released. Even though I never thought I'd like it, I'm astounded by how much of a debacle this film has quickly become.

I was fully intending on seeing it this weekend, even if it had gotten a 30-40% RT score, until the actual reviews came in. No way in hell am I wasting my time now.

• Like 2