Asyulus

Not So Fantastic Weekend Thread | MI5 29.4, F4 26.2, Gift 12, Ricki 7, Shaun 4, Vac 9, AM 7.8

I've detected zero tangible hype for The Martian, so I don't understand how it's supposed to perform so much better at the BO than the insanely hyped Prometheus? Scott does not make movies the general public like for well over a decade, so it having great WOM seems next to impossible.

The Martian is unlikely to do more than Interstellar.

I've detected zero tangible hype for The Martian, so I don't understand how it's supposed to perform so much better at the BO than the insanely hyped Prometheus? Scott does not make movies the general public like for well over a decade, so it having great WOM seems next to impossible.

Interstellar didn't have franchise hype yet opened strong and held its own against everything else to almost 200M. It's hardly impossible for Martian to do the same.

Pan and the Martian are not doing 200M. You guys. Maybe half of that for Pan. A lot less for Martian.

BO has Martian at 170m+. It's a popular book. Space themes are in.

It has a much more universal message than Interstellar - Bring him home.

'Stranded on mars' is also more GA friendly than Interstellar's mumbo jumbo.

If wom is good, 200m could happen.

Edited by a2k
  • Like 1

'Stranded on mars' is also more GA friendly than Interstellar's mumbo jumbo.

This. If it's enjoyable for audiences then they may connect much stronger with it than Interstellar, which had mixed reactions to say the very least. I think it has a broader appeal.

Interstellar didn't have franchise hype yet opened strong and held its own against everything else to almost 200M. It's hardly impossible for Martian to do the same.

Um, Interstellar was the new Christopher freakin' Nolan film with the award winning McConaissance attached. And even it missed 200. So that should really prove the Martian doesn't have a shot.

• Like 1

Um, Interstellar was the new Christopher freakin' Nolan film with the award winning McConaissance attached. And even it missed 200. So that should really prove the Martian doesn't have a shot.

Also was nearly 3 hours long.

imo folks are gonna connect with 'bring our guy from mars' more easily as opposed to - gravity as the other dimension, love is quantifiable, space bookshelf tesseract build by future us, and the solution encoded in the second hand of a watch in morse code

• Like 2

No one cares about Nolan in the real world lol.

I didn't even know Interstellar was a thing until after it came out.