K1stpierre

The Man From U.N.C.L.E. (2015)

31 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it:

Good fun. This is the sort of smart, stylish mid-budget action movie that Hollywood should ideally put out every 2 or 3 months, instead of doing it once a year and then not knowing how to properly promote it.

Cavill and Hammer were both excellent and Alicia Vikander just dancing in the hotel room to "Cry to Me" is one of the most charming scenes of the year. 

• Like 1

• Community Manager

Ironically, this is the one scene I felt made no sense in terms of the characters.

She was drunk. It made perfect sense. :lol:

Anyways:

Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation and now The Man from UNCLE. Also, I guess that McCarthy movie. This is a pretty fantastic year for these kind of movies so far. It's a pity the Man From UNCLE won't get a sequel because it really made a strong case that this could be an excellent franchise.

I can't say how much I loved the style of the movie. It really drew me in and with one exception (the burglary scene) it never went too over-the-top. The plot was a bit basic but you know what? I'm happy it was kept basic because it's really the relationship between the two male agents and eventually the female agent that really sold me. It's always fun to see characters who are so dynamically different to each other, characters who should be enemies, be forced to partner up. The sequel would have lost some of that charm since they are really emotionally bonded now...but oh well.

The Man from UNCLE is a great cinematic experience and I wouldn't be surprised if this becomes a cult hit.

A-

It was a fun movie. The style was good and the action was ok but the three leads are what makes the movie work. They were so good that made me think the movie would have been much better with smaller stakes and smaller scale. Cavill has charisma to spare which I wasn't expecting since I've only seen him in Man of Steel, Vikander is amazing and so is Hammer who I think is good in every role that has a comedic element even in disasters like Lone Ranger. Too bad the sequel won't happen.

Not great but certainly enjoyable. Cavill and Hammer are charming, Cavill especially. Nothing I'd say was noteworthy but a fun way to spend a couple of hours with well shot action scenes and the cool 1960s factor that isn't obnoxious, though if I didn't see Guy Ritchie's name in the opening credits, I swear this was directed by Steven Soderbergh and George Clooney and Brad Pitt were going to show up at some point.

***½/*****, (B, 7.2/10, 3/4)

Edited by TheMovieman

Dat Beckham cameo :lol: 

Anyway, standard plot for a spy movie but great direction and the chemistry between the leads is what made this a more than enjoyable affair. Too bad we won't get a sequel because I could watch Hammer and Cavill banter all day (now there's a sentence I never expected to write). Also Cavill should talk more, he's actually good at it Zack!

8/10

Edited by darkelf
  • Like 1

I appreciate that Ritchie tried something slightly different with this spy flick, but this kind of movie can't work without properly charismatic lead actors giving good performances. I wanted to cringe every time Cavill opened his mouth, he was struggling hard to fake an American accent, he not being a very talented actor didn't help either. Hammer is less bad in his role, even though his Russian accent is equally painful to listen. 

Another thing that bugged me quite a bit was the "omit certain details just to reveal it later" gimmicky, felt like it belonged to a parody. 

One thing is indisputable, everyone in this movie was crazy hot. 

40/100