K1stpierre

The Man From U.N.C.L.E. (2015)

31 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it:

Liked it a lot. The dialogue in this was great (especially Cavill and Hammer's banter at each other) and was also hilarious at times. Ritchie nailed it in my opinion, pacing was perfect. The cinematography was very stylish as well, you can definitely tell this was directed by Guy Ritchie. Its very balanced between sticking to the material while not being taking itself seriously at the same time. 

Good spy movie fun.

A-
Edited by BoxOfficeZ
  • Like 3

Really enjoyed it. It wasn't at all the UNCLE movie I was expecting,but was good nonetheless. The cast were all good in their roles and Hammer, Cavill and Vikander had good chemistry with one another.

Ritchie's visual tricks are used sparingly, although I did feel that they diminished one sequence slightly. The humour is effective, the action adds to the story without slowing the film's brisk pace.the recreation of the 60s is sumptious.

Hugh Grant is underused and the narrative style may not appeal to less intelligent audience members, which is a loss for them.

I liked it a lot.

Good chemistry (I liked Hammer the most), a strong sense of style and direction, and a nice story twist or two.

Really loved the '60s aesthetic and the use of music in this one.

Definitely would want to watch this again.

3/4

Cavill is very good and Hammer is okay, but overall it just didn't hold my attention. It's got style galore but perhaps it's too much style. A lot of the flourish just feel empty to me, and the entire film had a feeling of off-ness to me. It's fun and I enjoyed watching it, but I won't remember anything from it in two weeks. Disappointed. C+

• Like 1

This was a good movie.  I really don't have any complaints.  It was stylish and interesting and I thought the acting was serviceable to good.  Hammer was fine, Cavill played his character convincingly.  I thought Vikander stole the show while Hugh Grant was a charming addition.  There was humor spread throughout the film and several laughs along the way.  The starring trio had good chemistry.  All in all a pretty good film considering what Hollywood normally puts out.  Unfortunately, I knew the film would not do well.  The setting (Cold War Europe) is just not an interesting time for this day and age.  Mission Impossible smartly moved their timeline to the present but unfortunately UNCLE couldn't (or wouldn't) do the same.  And the result was a bland set of bad guys and a potential catastrophe that just lacked any real tension.

I would give this movie a solid B and on the verge of a B+.

hmm wasnt follwoing this & pretty ignorant about the source & any background (but I will check the tv series out now!)

But as usual HW gives me life with its spy movies with its constant caricatures of us, pesky russians B) So it wasnt a question to go watch this or not 

& this didnt dissapoint. Instead of ironic & sarcastic smiles that this kind of product constantly draws from me this time it did evoke some genuine smiles even not breaking away from what I love about HW,

Well at least Ilia is not as stupid as I thought (well not every time), doesnt have a bottle of vodka sticking out from his pocket, wearing a cap not some ushanka & all but still its 'cranberry' of high caliber with Siberia, Gulag, cyborg-like abilities  & he's as 'russian' as Natasha RomanoFF or Anton Yelchin or our fave - Ivan from the Red Heat :lol:

Still the way Guy plays with these stereotypes really in a funny & genuine way.

Prod design, action & music is all top notch so its a feat for my senses.

But sadly this won't sell as well as 'Chechen terrorists' taking off with bombs from 'Minsk' & so on.

& With no sequel I'm sad that I won't see the kiss! :P  (Guy, this cruel man was trolling me, poor romance lover, with all these interruptions <_<)

& Cavill actually is more than bland pretty boy here. yay

so E was right, there's something in him :lol: I finally saw it (lol better late than never)

Hugh is getting old. It seems I haven't seen him onscreen for a while but still a 100% gentleman I fell in love with & this part suits him to a T

Personal thanks to Debiki, she was a classic catty, villainess

all in all its a great year for spy movies (at least the ones I watched) Hopefully my most anticipated - SPECTRE will be a cherry on top

I went into this one with relatively low expectations and actually ended up liking it quite a bit. The two leads are excellent and the action sequences are a lot of fun to watch. It begins to wear out its welcome towards the end, but still manages to be a pleasant way to spend 2 hours for the most part. It's a highly accessible film that wasn't marketed particularly well and ended up being released at a bad time (MI5 drawing steady business and Straight Outta Compton breaking out), unfortunately.

7.5/10 

It seems like the consensus on this thread is that this wasn't a great, groundbreaking film but it was a solid, enjoyable Spy flick that deserves more than it seems to be getting box office wise.

I guess this just goes to show that its not just about making a good movie but you have to make a movie in a genre or with a hook that people care about in order to find success these days.  I don't see a lot of movies at the theaters these days but a sequel to this is something I'd definitely give the benefit of the doubt to on my future viewing list.

Usually loathe Richie's work (all obnoxious style and a hollow center) but even as just a genre exercise, UNCLE works! It's pretty good! The three leads are super well cast, the costumes are on point, and it's never not entertaining.

Cavill is a standout. He's wasting his time playing a young mopey Superman. This guy belongs in so many great period roles.

• Like 6

I know partly the original TV-series, so I knew the basic story / premise beforehand

I watched (unfortunatedly) as a dubbed / translated German version, that can influence the impressions, will definitivly watch it in English again, if I find a cinema or latest after buying it as a DVD/Blu-Ray

I think they did a great job rebuilding the early 60' without the often 'dull' looks of the early '60 as I remember that time.

It was fun, fast, ... had a fresh feeling IMHO.

Some scenes and characters started in a way you expect a cliche, but they managed to twist both to something else, what I liked a lot.

I liked the chemnistry of the 3 leads, think the Italian baddies were in style / matching to the movie's world, the German male relatives seemed less ... a bit like out of the movie's style/time.

Without knowing the TV-series I'd give it at least ~ 7.5/10, but I think for it's very impressive ability to also catch the original series' gist and at the same time being able to freshen that up it earns at least an extra 0.5 so my rating is a strong 8 to 8.5 (or 8+). Not sure how that translate to your letter system, an A- ???

I very rarely give high ratings, so an 8+ by me is meant as a high praise, very recommendable

I took my son, who didn't know the TV-series...

he says:

blithe,... action movie using a lot of well known tropes not used in recent years, but with a twist. Music is 'super', the 3 lead 'good' actors are being perfectly casted, liked the male Italian baddie best for his 'Italian-cliche', not 100% about the female baddie (still good),... He didn't said anything about the other cast members or their work

That is one of the movies I am WE are (wow, with that he surprised me, he never had said that before today) the most sad about it will probably not get a part 2, seemingly got a rather unfavorable release date and the US marketuing seems also not be the most ideal ever???

• Like 1

I really liked this movie, which surprised me seeing I don't like any of Ritchie's movies outside the Sherlock Holmes franchise. It had great comedy and action and man oh man, that soundtrack!

A

• Like 1

I wasn't as crazy about it as some of you, but I easily had a good time. Cavill and Hammer have excellent chemistry and give brilliant performances. They're a total joy to watch.

I wasn't fully captivated at times, with it being a relatively standard spy plot, but it's still a decently fun ride propelled by its stars.

• Like 1