CJohn

Official Weekend Estimates: Straigth Outta Compton - 56.1M; The Man From UNCLE - 13.5M; MI5 - 17.3M; Fantastic Four - 8M

Technically, I don't think so. A narrative movie that is just a bunch of continuity errors is not a good movie because it confuses the viewer to even understand the movie's narration. A narrative movie in which the sound editing is mushy, botched to no end and not synchronized to the dialogue at times is not a good movie. A narrative movie that messes the 3 acts structure skipping one or two for no reason is not a good movie. There are rules and conventions that are universally recognized, you don't have to respect or adhere to those but let's not act that "good art = bad art" just because "it's art, it's subjective!". Your appreciation is subjective, crafting is not because if I want to make a blue sky and convey a blue sky to the viewer whereas on my palette I made some kind of purple that I apply on the canvas nonetheless, the viewer will think I failed because I wanted to convey a blue sky and not a purple sky.(Or he'll think I'm colorblind). Same as a violonist that just plays false notes. Intent and technical means to convey intent is important. And that can be judged on a scale.

Yes and no, too generalized IMHO.

~ Pace in a movie is something, that changed a lot to give an example. What was a 'great' movie in the e.g. '40 a lot of people nowadays rate way lower bcs of 'pace'.

Something I disagree strongly with

Expected a strong Friday from SOC, but couldn't imagine such an impressive Saturday, really happy for the film. AM had an amazing hold, CA is going down. Sub 40 drop against Uncle is mighty good for MI5. Sub 30 drops the next two weeks would put 200m on the horizon.

hey, praise from you for it, super! ;)   thumbs-up smiley is missing here IMHO

What helps MI5's case for 200m that FF and Uncle tanked, so it will be playing in more theaters in September than it would have otherwise and might get IMAX back as well.

Agree, 2 weeks into e.g. Ant-Man MI5 got released, 2 weeks into MI5 no real competition out of the ~ similar to expected audience, but even without that help, I really like MI5s numbers sofar

$328 to 332 million is my guess for Minions with a 3.5x-4x from a $4.7 million weekend.

$108 to 111 million is my guess for Trainwreck with a 3x-3.5x from a $3.8 million weekend. 

Thank you as always for your insights!

If MI5 crosses the 200M I promise a new gif party on the day it happens on Tele's lol club. 

I honestly don't see why Paramount wouldn't let MI5 go to 200M. They're gonna have to find a way to either re-release it or expand in more theaters.

MI2, despite the mixed reception, got to 215M. But this one has more stellar WOM and it shall get to 200M in the end.

I honestly don't see why Paramount wouldn't let MI5 go to 200M. They're gonna have to find a way to either re-release it or expand in more theaters.

MI2, despite the mixed reception, got to 215M. But this one has more stellar WOM and it shall get to 200M in the end.

It is incredibly hard to reach 200M. The OW was not that big. Lets see how it goes. I am thinking 180-190M DOM right now. 

It is incredibly hard to reach 200M. The OW was not that big. Lets see how it goes. I am thinking 180-190M DOM right now. 

It is hard, indeed (Unless, the sequel opens huge). We just never know exactly what it's final DOM gross will be.

Edited by MrFanaticGuy34

Maybe the upcoming public holiday (7 September) will give it (nd other movies) a big enough boost?

BO.com starts with their Saturday update of the weekend studio estimates.

Means all my posts are about weekends and not dailies:

= sum

Southpaw    $2,460,000    -48%    1,727    -547    $1,424    $45,667,290    4    
Irrational Man    $435,891    -48%    425    -500    $1,026    $3,114,751    5
The Diary of a Teenage Girl    $112,387    115%    22    18    $5,109    $194,781    2    
Kahlil Gibran's The Prophet    $30,901    13%    10    8    $3,090    $66,256    2

• Like 1

JW...made alot of money.

Yes it did, by being exactly what most of the crowd wanted to watch this summer.

Nobody said it's a cinematic masterpiece, but I get the sense that a lot of this hate comes from some notion that it didn't "deserve" the success it got.

IMHO "deserve" has nothing to do with it. A movie makes what it makes, whether I liked it or not. Box office is a popularity contest. Whether I think a movie "deserves" its popularity is irrelevant - popularity and quality are two entirely different things - one is objective and quantifiable, the other is entirely subjective.

• Like 4

Swaggering into theaters across North America, Straight Outta Compton beat all expectations, grabbing an estimated $56.1 million — and leaving The Man from U.N.C.L.E., the weekend’s other new wide release, which pulled in a meager $13 million, in its dust.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/box-office-straight-outta-compton-815650

MI5 place #2

If SOC makes over 140 m, Hollywood is going to be greenlighting quite a few music biopics.

I doubt any of them come close to SOC though. It just happened to be release when police brutality is a hot topic and the urban crowd had little options at the theater.

• Like 1

The Man from U.N.C.L.E. The $80 million Warner Bros. /Time Warner Inc. stars Henry Cavill and Armie Hammer in Guy Ritchie’s adaptation of the 1960′s spy TV series. Reviews were mezzo, Cavill and Hammer aren’t stars, and there was absolutely no buzz on this one heading into the weekend. As such, a $13.5 million weekend is almost a gift, although that makes it no less pleasant. It won’t even beat the third weekend of Mission: Impossible Rogue Nation, which will earn around $16m for the weekend.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2015/08/16/box-office-straight-outta-compton-scores-huge-56m-weekend/

5TH UPDATE, first Sunday AM post: Refresh for updates: Even though its Saturday slipped 20% from Friday, Universal/Legendary’s Straight Outta Compton remains on a strong path for a dramatic film in August, now looking at a $57.4M weekend opening per industry estimates. Universal figures have it lower at $56.09M.  That’s definitely the highest opening ever for a musical biopic. Many are saying Compton‘s opening beats Fox’s Johnny Cash film Walk the Line which made $22.3M. I’m of the mind set that Compton bested the first weekend of Universal’s 2002 Eminem hip hop headliner 8 Mile ($51.2M) as far as the musical genre goes. As pointed out by critics at the time, 8 Mile was arguably a semi-biopic as Eminem played a white Detroit rapper with a similar storyline to his own.

http://deadline.com/2015/08/straight-outta-compton-man-from-u-n-c-l-e-weekend-box-office-1201499183/