Halba

Brooklyn | 11.06.15| starring: Saoirse/ Domhnall

7 hours ago, Orestes said:

If she hasn't it's mostly her fault. She passed on Scarlet Witch, a character Joss wrote with her in mind, for Star Wars, who passed on her.

Of course she would. Scarlet Witch is a B-team Avenger at best, while Ronan was gunning for the Daisy Ridley role which is THE lead of the trilogy. Disappointing for her that she didn't get it, but she was right to take a chance and go for the lead in an iconic franchise. 

2 minutes ago, moviesRus said:

Of course she would. Scarlet Witch is a B-team Avenger at best, while Ronan was gunning for the Daisy Ridley role which is THE lead of the trilogy. Disappointing for her that she didn't get it, but she was right to take a chance and go for the lead in an iconic franchise. 

I look at it as more of an example of a bird in the hand. She went for the two in the bush and ended up with none. Fortunately she's young enough and apparently talented enough that she'll probably get more chances.

Edited by Orestes

5 minutes ago, Orestes said:

I look at it as more of an example of a bird in the hand. She went for the two in the bush and ended up with none. Fortunately she's young enough and apparently talented enough that she'll probably get more chances.

I think ultimately she is better off not being tied to down to Marvel, especially with a character like Scarlet Witch who isn't some kind of standout. She'll most likely be getting her second Oscar nomination soon, which is pretty great for her age. There will probably be a better franchise role for her in the future anyways. 

• Like 1

Just now, moviesRus said:

I think ultimately she is better off not being tied to down to Marvel, especially with a character like Scarlet Witch who isn't some kind of standout. She'll most likely be getting her second Oscar nomination soon, which is pretty great for her age. There will probably be a better franchise role for her in the future anyways. 

Think of the possibilities with being in two franchises, a Marvel and Star Wars.  Many actresses don't get that kind of chance.

1 minute ago, Klingo said:

Think of the possibilities with being in two franchises, a Marvel and Star Wars.  Many actresses don't get that kind of chance.

Maybe, but that would be near impossible for her to schedule (plus get in some good dramas like Brooklyn). I think she's far better off finding a lead or strong supporting role in a franchise and then using the rest of her time for smaller projects. I do think eventually she may get offered something in Star Wars since they seem to keep the list of actresses they've auditioned previously and potentially use them for later roles. 

3 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

Not everyone wants to be Jennifer Lawrence

True not everyone does, but Ronan I think does want some level of franchise/blockbuster success. Otherwise she wouldn't keep trying for these parts and she expressed disappointment over not getting the SW role. And she did The Host for gods sake. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, moviesRus said:

Any character can be interesting with good writing. The Avengers seem to exist in some strange alternate universe where people actually judge the characters on how "cool" or how "powerful" they are. 

Just now, tonytr87 said:

Any character can be interesting with good writing. The Avengers seem to exist in some strange alternate universe where people actually judge the characters on how "cool" or how "powerful" they are. 

Well, we do have a movie with Scarlet Witch and she wasn't all that memorable. I think Ronan probably saw that on the page and wanted to hold out for something better. 

12 minutes ago, moviesRus said:

Well, we do have a movie with Scarlet Witch and she wasn't all that memorable. I think Ronan probably saw that on the page and wanted to hold out for something better. 

I thought she was fine. But regardless of our opinions on the movie's depiction of her, the character itself isn't inherently "B-level." 

As far as Ronan, yeah, she probably didn't think much of what was on the page. Age of Ultron's biggest problem for me was not focusing enough on the new blood. 

4 hours ago, tonytr87 said:

I'm glad to see Emory Cohen getting good marks for this. He was really underrated in Place Beyond the Pines. 

He's excellent in this, though the character, like Ronan's, is basically written without any flaws. He also looks and sounds like James Franco's long-lost twin brother. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cochofles said:

Holy shit at the reviews for the movie itself and for Ronan's performance!!

Oscar frontrunner for Best Actress in a Leading Role?

Brie Larson is currently the frontrunner, but Ronan is looking like a likely nominee at least. 

• Like 1

On 11/1/2015, 9:11:51, moviesRus said:

True not everyone does, but Ronan I think does want some level of franchise/blockbuster success. Otherwise she wouldn't keep trying for these parts and she expressed disappointment over not getting the SW role. And she did The Host for gods sake. 

To be fair The Host was a very challenging role, playing the character inside the character, but it completely backfired commercially and critically (tho I remember she got pretty good reviews)

I don't think she was really offered/auditioned Scarlett Witch, it seemed more like shenanigans from blogs online.

• Like 1

I am definately rooting for Ronan to get more parts like these to shine. She (together with Tucci) made "The Lovely Bones" bearable... she certainly has some great talent.

Apparantly, she was close to become part of TH, Marvel and SW universes... she sure has enough talent so it might look like a blessing in disguise one day none of them worked out.

To me, Ronan is like Kidman before her: gorgeous, talented, and intriguing, yet oddly cold and distant. Meanwhile, J. Lawrence and S. Bullock are warm and approachable. Well, at least the personas they present are warm and approachable, Maybe that's why the latter two have had so many hit films while the former two have not been able to fully turn their technical talents into full-fledged box office clout. 

fantastic
fanˈtastɪk/
adjective
adjective: fantastic
  1. 1.
    imaginative or fanciful; remote from reality.
    "fantastic hybrid creatures"
    • (of an object) seeming more appropriate to the imagination than to reality; strange or exotic.
      "a fantastic, maze-like building"
  2. 2.
    informal
    extraordinarily good or attractive.
    "she's got a fantastic body"
    antonyms: ordinary, poor
    • of an extraordinary size or degree.
      "she had spent a fantastic amount of cash"
Origin
late Middle English (in the sense ‘unreal’): from Old French fantastique, via medieval Latin from Greek phantastikos, from phantazein ‘make visible’, phantazesthai ‘have visions, imagine’, from phantos ‘visible’ (related to phainein ‘to show’). From the 16th to the 19th cents the Latinized spelling phantastic was also used.