kayumanggi

MARY POPPINS RETURNS | Disney | 12.19.18 | Rob Marshall directing | Emily Blunt, Lin Manuel Miranda

Honestly, everything probably is best staying put. As crazy as that release schedule looks, it's really not that bad when you consider that late December has given us 4 weekends between 250-305m. So that's literally the one time of year the box office can probably support a release schedule like this. Imagine something like this:

MPR: 65

AQM: 45

Bumblebee: 40

Holmes and Watson: 25

Alita: 10

Marwen: 10

That doesn't even total to 200m, still leaving plenty of room for Spider-verse and Mortal Engines to add another 30-40 or so that weekend. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Jake Gittes said:

No it's not. November 30 is, that's the post-Thanksgiving weekend. December 7 is fine. I can understand studios hesitating to release a movie on that weekend when they had to face Star Wars a week later, but this year is not gonna have that problem, and if they put something big there (like Aquaman) they can get a nice headstart on the season. 

if they have it in that spot, they'll lose screens when the most profitable period starts....around christmas.  I think...that's the explanation for studios avoiding that weekend

Just now, Jake Gittes said:

December 7: Aquaman and Holmes & Watson

December 14: Mortal Engines and Spider-Verse

December 19-21: Mary Poppins, Alita

December 25: Bumblebee, Welcome to Marwen

Pay me Hollywood

Yes, I'm sure WB and Sony will be jumping in line to pay you for killing their holiday releases with that death spot. ;)

Just now, Jake Gittes said:

Move something to December 7. There's literally nothing apart from some Global Road drama coming out between November 21 and December 14, it's ridiculous. 

I try to keep a schedule of what I'll try to see each week/weekend and every single studio seems to be working as hard as possible to prevent this from being easy.  Here's what it looks like from late September to December:

9a1beee5621dd84f0b913974a83c8db8.png

look at this fucking overcrowded mess (yes I'm aware that there are some films I shouldn't have to see on here, I don't care)

• Like 2

November 3: Aquaman

December 7: Holmes and Watson

December 14: Mortal Engines/Spider-Verse

December 19-21: Mary Poppins, Alita, Bumblebee

December 25: Marwen

Boom. Done.

Edited by CoolEric258

1 minute ago, That One Guy said:

I try to keep a schedule of what I'll try to see each week/weekend and every single studio seems to be working as hard as possible to prevent this from being easy.  Here's what it looks like from late September to December:

look at this fucking overcrowded mess (yes I'm aware that there are some films I shouldn't have to see on here, I don't care)

...maybe I should try that. :thinking:

Here's the last samurai. i guess i was wrong. it didn't lose that many theaters, but the performance is mediocre

Date
(click to view chart)
Rank Weekend
Gross
%
Change
Theaters Change / Avg. Gross-to-Date Week
#
Dec 5–7 1 $24,271,354 - 2,908 - $8,346 $24,271,354 1
Dec 12–14 2 $14,087,074 -42.0% 2,908 - $4,844 $46,874,330 2
Dec 19–21 4 $7,769,301 -44.8% 2,938 +30 $2,644 $59,487,166 3
Dec 26–28 8 $8,326,947 +7.2% 2,557 -381 $3,256 $74,324,104 4
Edited by Alli

2 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

November 2nd really makes the most sense for Aquaman.

5 minutes ago, Alli said:

if they have it in that spot, they'll lose screens when the most profitable period starts....around christmas.  I think...that's the explanation for studios avoiding that weekend

They won't lose many more screens than an early November release does by Thanksgiving. They'll still be around. And they can make more money in the first week by capitalizing on the empty marketplace. 

The second weekend of December probably has a bad reputation more because The Golden Compass, The Day the Earth Stood Still and Exodus all bombed there. But they collapsed quickly not 100% because of the competition but in large part because they sucked. If Aquaman is actually good it wouldn't have to worry as much. If it's bad, the word will quickly spread and it'll get suffocated where it is anyway. 

Anyway, now that MPR is no longer opening on the 25th I think there's no way at least one movie doesn't get pushed back to that date. 

• Like 3