WrathOfHan

Weekend Thread | Official estimate: The Martian 55M. Rth Sunday Est Pg43: 13.4M. Gravity will remain October OW record holder.

Got the absolute worst group of trailers before my showing. Bomb after bomb. 

Started with a trailer for The Forest, then a Chris Pine Coast Guard rescue film, then a Moby Dick film, then a  Leo/Tom Hardy wilderness film, and all capped with the Joy trailer (audiences are going to be baffled on what that film is about).

Edited by Bishop54

I'll always defend Lindelof. Always. :lol:

I won't defend him, in the sense that none of the movies he wrote are well written. However, I will absolutely defend him in the sense that he is not solely to blame, and his co-writers are every bit as responsible for a poorly written film.

Started with a trailer for The Forest, then a Chris Pine Coast Guard rescue film, then a Moby Dick film, then a  Leo/Tom Hardy wilderness film, and all capped with the Joy trailer (audiences are going to be baffled on what that film is about).

Wat? The Revenant trailer gave me goose bumps in the theater.  I got it in front of both The Martian and Sicario this weekend, its now easily my most anticipated movie of the year.

Then why was Mission Impossible 4's IMAX early release so successful?

I didn't say that early IMAX release cannot be successful. I am simply saying that their success is not built on whether the film was shot on IMAX or not. I would suggest that MI4's IMAX run would have been just as successful had it been standard film projected on to an IMAX screen.

Ugh, I'm getting more and more upset I have to see The Martian in 3D. Seems like a massive waste of money. Fuck you AMC for not having reasonable 2D showtimes.

Don't worry, I hate 3D and found 98% of the film's 3D not bothersome. Only bits I didn't like were some shots towards the beginning, and some of the vlogs in which the UI comes out of the screen.

• Like 1

I won't defend him, in the sense that none of the movies he wrote are well written. However, I will absolutely defend him in the sense that he is not solely to blame, and his co-writers are every bit as responsible for a poorly written film.

Neither you nor I have any idea who's responsible for the material that bothers you.

• Like 1

Neither you nor I have any idea who's responsible for the material that bothers you.

Right, exactly. It might have been one person, it might be another, but I don't have any real objective information, so I'm not going to arbitrarily single out one of them. All the writers responsible for the screenplay can take the responsibility - whether it's for a good or bad script.

Edited by 99 Trees
  • Like 2

Don't worry, I hate 3D and found 98% of the film's 3D not bothersome. Only bits I didn't like were some shots towards the beginning, and some of the vlogs in which the UI comes out of the screen.

I mean I don't see the point of 3D unless it is noticeable. Like I was hoping I could save my money for 3D Walk and Peanuts later this year; likely I'm gonna have to cut one for The Martian. :(

I had a bad batch as well, Steve Jobs and maybe Bridge of Spies were the only good trailers. Got stuck with Burnt, Our Brand is Crisis, and Rock the Kasbah.
  • Like 1

Right, exactly. It might have been one person, it might be another, but I don't have any real objective information, so I'm not going to arbitrarily single out one of them. All the writers responsible for the screenplay can take the responsibility - whether it's for a good or bad script.

Right. Except it's even more so: all you (and I) know is that you didn't like the movie that resulted from the script. So, basically assign blame to all creative principals (including director and possibly producers). That's especially true when you have a huge heavy-hitter like Scott in charge.

• Like 1

I think if anything The Martian only proved all over again that Scott is only as good as his material. I can easily see him going back to mediocrity after this. I hope he doesn't, but I'm still gonna be cautious about anything he puts out. 

Thats more or less true of any director, its just that Scott green lights mediocre scripts more often than other top directors.  He's always been a master visualist and he does get good to great performances out of actors most of the time.

• Like 2