WrathOfHan

Weekend Thread | Official estimate: The Martian 55M. Rth Sunday Est Pg43: 13.4M. Gravity will remain October OW record holder.

If that holds, CJohn is gonna flip out. :lol:

Shit weekend is part of Shitober is what he'll say

Garbage. This is October 2013 all over again. The next few releases are all gonna flop. Nothing in the next few weeks is gonna open over 25M. 

• Like 1

Garbage. This is October 2013 all over again. The next few releases are all gonna flop. Nothing in the next few weeks is gonna open over 25M.

Lol

Goosebumps, Bridge of Spies and Steve Jobs' wide expansion should all do quite well, while The Walk and the new PA do decent enough. Not to mention HT2, Intern, Sicario and Martian holding over throughout the month

October isn't that awful BO-wise. It'll be one of the bigger October's

No record? Fuck this weekend and fuck the box office. Where is Star Wars?

Btw, saw The Intern today. It was a good movie.

You have taken the Negative Nelly torch and ran well with it my friend

• Like 2

The Walk does seem like a return to form for Zemeckis. I wonder if studios are unwilling to give him huge budgets anymore or if he doesn't want to do big budget films anymore whereas Ridley Scott still get $100m+ budgets

Maybe Zemeckis was able to make The Walk for a smaller budget. Other then his mo-cap films, which were hugely costly, he is efficient and doesn't tend to go other budget after all.

It would seem odd if Zemeckis couldn't get big budgets, considering he has way more hits then Scott, but then again it seems like Sony let him down anyway, since they never seemed to have any confidence in The Walk to begin with.

Edited by FancyArcher

The Walk does seem like a return to form for Zemeckis. I wonder if studios are unwilling to give him huge budgets anymore or if he doesn't want to do big budget films anymore whereas Ridley Scott still get $100m+ budgets

The Walk is a complete bomb.

Maybe Zemeckis was able to make The Walk for a smaller budget.

THE WALK's budget was about $35m. I think it'll be fine in the long run.

Maybe Zemeckis was able to make The Walk for a smaller budget. Other then his mo-cap films, which were hugely costly, he is efficient and doesn't tend to go other budget after all.

It would seem odd if Zemeckis couldn't get big budgets, considering he has way more hits then Scott, but then again it seems like Sony let him down anyway, since they never seemed to have any confidence in The Walk to begin with.

His last non mocap film which was big budget was Cast Away which was $90m but that was hugely successful, What Lies Beneath cost $100m which for a thriller is excessive but did have big names and was successful too. I think the fact the mocap films didn't do that well probably have meant that execs are cautious of giving him huge budgets. 

His last non mocap film which was big budget was Cast Away which was $90m but that was hugely successful, What Lies Beneath cost $100m which for a thriller is excessive but did have big names and was successful too. I think the fact the mocap films didn't do that well probably have meant that execs are cautious of giving him huge budgets.

The question is whether he's been asking for big budgets and getting denied, or whether he's just using sensible budgets for his projects. He's a really savvy filmmaker and knows exactly how to maximize his VFX and shoot efficiently, so it's not like he's been really cramped with his last two movies.

• Like 3

Yeah, but aside from Beowulf, I don't think any of his mo-cap films were substantial money losers. It wouldn't surprise me at all if people in Hollywood think he directed Mars Attack, when he really didn't, he was just spearheading it.

I mean, Scott's made plenty of bombs, even a few in a row, yet Hollywood has no problem giving him money. Jeez! Maybe Zemeckis was able to make the film for a smaller budget, I dunna. I'm assuming it was the second of those.

Edited by FancyArcher
  • Like 1