WrathOfHan

Weekend Thread | Official estimate: The Martian 55M. Rth Sunday Est Pg43: 13.4M. Gravity will remain October OW record holder.

Anything less than Jurassic World will be considered a failure for Star Wars.

:stirthepot:

People can say it's as ridiculous as they want to, but this is the stone cold truth. You better believe it would be beyond disappointing for one of the most, or the most, anticipated movies ever to do less than JW, a movie 4 SW films have easily beaten in admissions. Obviously possible since 650m is guaranteed to nothing, but still incredibly disappointing.

• Like 1

Even ROTS admissions plus IMAX/3D inflation gets it in the ballpark of JW's gross. So 5/6 films in the franchise slant the argument heavily in favor of the side I'm on. 

I remember when I used this logic to predict DOFP gross.

I failed.

I remember when I used this logic to predict DOFP gross.

I failed.

As in Days of Future Past? No offense, but the X-Men franchise at the box office has literally no business being brought up in relation to Star Wars. In fact nothing does. Hence why Star Wars is the only franchise with multiple movies in the all time top 20 admissions list. And not just 2, but a whopping 4. 

Robin Hood cost 200m+...

That's one movie, one movie with tons of production problems.

Exodus and Prometheus both cost less than 140m, in the hands of less experienced and/or less efficent directors, those movie would have cost a lot more. And now we have The Martian, which looks pretty great for a 100m sci-fi.

As in Days of Future Past? No offense, but the X-Men franchise at the box office has literally no business being brought up in relation to Star Wars. In fact nothing does. Hence why Star Wars is the only franchise with multiple movies in the all time top 20 admissions list. And not just 2, but a whopping 4. 

I remember predicting around 250m, which was already 30m less than the first X-Men (the lowest seller of the trilogy) adjusted + 3D + IMAX. DOFP made 20m under my prediction.

the lesson: never take things for granted. 450m would be disappointing but still not a disaster, 500m to 600m would be fine to quite good, anything above 600m would be very very good.

Edited by Goffe

More importantly, Gravity had pretty much a monopoly on IMAX and 3D screens for 5 weeks before Thor 2. It earned almost 50M in IMAX domestically (15% of its total gross). With Pan, The Walk, Goosebumps, Crimson Peak, The Last Witch Hunter and Paranormal Activity 5 all releasing in 3D, The Martian will find it harder to hold on to 3D screens for the upcharge to actually benefit it a lot.

I am pretty sure Ender's Game had IMAX so make that 4 weeks.

I am pretty sure Ender's Game had IMAX so make that 4 weeks.

Not all IMAX screens. Ender's Game had IMAX in the same way Fury Road had IMAX 2 weeks ago, only the Liemax screens which were way out of the way for everyone.  :P

Hmm...since Martian didn't take the record....what other movie will be the next one to try and successfully beat the October OW-record in the future?

Probably some crappy horror movie will break the next October OW record.