WrathOfHan

Weekend Thread | Official estimate: The Martian 55M. Rth Sunday Est Pg43: 13.4M. Gravity will remain October OW record holder.

The Martian wont have problem to make a 3.8-4.2 multiplier. Could go higher though. I'm pretty sure it wont go lower. Gravity and Interstellar proved this is a good date to develop legs, and i'd say the reception is better than Interstellar. That one almost end with a 4 multiplier. It has an entire month for itself before Spectre. 200m will happen.

• Like 1

Gravity did not have to go toe to toe with any big movie competing for the same audience until late November with CF, and you could argue that wasn't even targeting the same audience. However, Spectre is coming in less than a month and it should target the exact same audience as The Martian. And then it has another THG movie to deal with after. So I don't expect much for late legs. October legs should be fantastic however and maybe enough to get it to 4x. 

• Like 1

Gravity did not have to go toe to toe with any big movie competing for the same audience until late November with CF, and you could argue that wasn't even targeting the same audience. However, Spectre is coming in less than a month and it should target the exact same audience as The Martian. And then it has another THG movie to deal with after. So I don't expect much for late legs. October legs should be fantastic however and maybe enough to get it to 4x.

Thor?

Thor?

Well Thor 2 maybe should've been a big event. But it was a relative non-event. I suppose the same fate could befall Spectre, though that seems much less likely. Also Thor was far younger skewed than Gravity/Martian/Spectre's target audiences. 

Edited by MovieMan89

More importantly, Gravity had pretty much a monopoly on IMAX and 3D screens for 5 weeks before Thor 2. It earned almost 50M in IMAX domestically (15% of its total gross). With Pan, The Walk, Goosebumps, Crimson Peak, The Last Witch Hunter and Paranormal Activity 5 all releasing in 3D, The Martian will find it harder to hold on to 3D screens for the upcharge to actually benefit it a lot. 

Edited by grim22

If The MARTIAN'S Opening stirred up this kind of nonsense, imagine what December will be like with SW7??? Remember, anything less than what FORBES has projected and it will be seen as a Failure..

Actually, pretty much everyone here thought Forbes' projections were stupid.

• Like 1

Actually, pretty much everyone here thought Forbes' projections were stupid.

Forbes SW prediction will only upset people if they don't use their brains and refuse to look at things realistically.

The Forbes article was actually just one of 3. He wrote 3 articles, one with "absolute best case", second was "worst case" and third was "realistic". For some reason, the worst case and the realistic ones never got much traction anywhere.

• Like 2

Also, Scott Mendelson also thinks the whole "AOU was a failure" meme is a load of BS (and this despite having problems with the movie itself), and he often calls out silly media narratives based on overzealous predictions (he still talks about how films like Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle and King Kong were unfairly framed as failures based on unrealistic pre-release forecasts), so he would be the first to argue that SW shouldn't be considered a disappointment just because it doesn't meet the loftiest expectations.

In fact, he HAS stressed this point, on multiple occasions.

Edited by TServo2049