kayumanggi

UNDERWATER | Fox | 10 JAN 2020 | William Eubank to direct

10 hours ago, JB33 said:

Nobody said a female character having more to do is a bad thing. I specifically said it's annoying when filmmakers have to contrast that with stupid, useless male characters.

Isn't a common trope to have a straith competent hero surrounded by pretty flawed/goofy characters, say in a 5th element type, lot of horror movie.

That become a think to some only if there is a gender/anything different identity wise between them ?

2 hours ago, dudalb said:

Her Twilight partner Pattinson has certainly played his post Twilight cards a lot better.

I doubt she would have said no to a Nolan movie or an icon like Batman by a director of the level of Reeves.

Those are purely dealt and easy to play card not played one (like he would have use is money and influence to make project happen)

On 1/14/2020 at 2:17 AM, Krissykins said:

Which is what has been happening for literally decades, the opposite way round. 

That's fair. I know i'm beginning to have a bit of a rep around here but I do genuinely like that we're making strides in terms of how actresses and female characters are presented in film. I just don't think there's a need to simply flip the situation around. You're seeing with the race issue too. I'm not necessarily crying wolf here, but white people are taking a beating lately in pop culture. They're everyone's punching bag. The point is to truly move forward, not simply turn the tables. We can't change the past.

• Like 1

On 1/14/2020 at 11:27 AM, Barnack said:

Isn't a common trope to have a straith competent hero surrounded by pretty flawed/goofy characters, say in a 5th element type, lot of horror movie.

That become a think to some only if there is a gender/anything different identity wise between them ?

Goofy is one thing. Truly incompetent is another, or at least incompetent characters without an arc that shows the audience how useful they truly are.

• ...wtf 1

On ‎1‎/‎15‎/‎2020 at 8:23 PM, JB33 said:

Goofy is one thing. Truly incompetent is another, or at least incompetent characters without an arc that shows the audience how useful they truly are.

I disagree, I think incompetent charecters can work if the plot calls for them to be incompetent or if their incompetence is played for laughs.

It when you try to portray incompetence are being somehow charming you get into problems.

And then there are charecters meant to be amusingly goofy that turn out to be just plain annoying instead.That happens quite a bit. I give you Jar Jar Binks as an example.