kayumanggi

Weekend estimates: 15.90 M THE MARTIAN | 15.50 M GOOSEBUMPS | 11.37 M BOS | 10.83 M TLWH | 9.00 M HT II | 8.20 M PA: TGD | 7.27 M STEVE JOBS

Do you really think Damon deserves an Oscar for The Martian?  I love him and think he's great in a lot of stuff, but I just don't see it in this role, not complete enough...

No. I don't think he deserves a nom. But the movie's popularity will probably carry him to one. I doubt he'd really win. 

Is Jem possibly under $1,000,000 not interesting enough then?  Until Jem, Universal had avoided a place in the Top 10 "worst very wide opener" list.  And unlike the other members of that list like Oogieloves, Jem and the Holograms is a known brand.  That is what separates it from the others.  People knew about this movie before its release.

Maybe not. lol

Leo must be giddy watching the box office report this weekend. Lol. 

It it really is his to lose now. The Revenant just needs a good reception and not flop. I don't see any of the other contenders as win possibilities right now. Redmayne wasn't even the most praised part of his film, which is getting a meh reception as it is.  

• Like 1

This year is so lacking in hits, Jesus. I just checked the chart and there's only been like 21 movies this year to gross over 100 million while last year had 33 and 2013 had 35.

If American Sniper was counted as 2015 then it would've been the #5 top grossing film this year. Star Wars can't get here soon enough.

This year is so lacking in hits, Jesus. I just checked the chart and there's only been like 21 movies this year to gross over 100 million while last year had 33 and 2013 had 35.

If American Sniper was counted as 2015 then it would've been the #5 top grossing film this year. Star Wars can't get here soon enough.

Yeah, this honestly is a pretty shitty year for the box office. The success of JW and IO and OW records just makes it look prettier. 

Edited by WrathOfHan
  • Like 1

I guess the general lousiness of the last month has clouded our perspectives. Seems this actually is a pretty good year so far.

In terms of total BO, yes. But this is the top-heaviest year I can recall, and the only one where two studios combined took over 40% of the market.

And I was born in 1987; this is the most top-heavy, disproportionate-studio-market share year I've ever seen. Even the early/mid-90s had mid-level hits (that didn't need to make a fortune to be successful).

This really does feel like we're heading into the doomsday scenario Spielberg and Lucas foretold, doesn't it? And I thought it was a crazy scenario when they said it (in 2013, the last year which was both huge AND "balanced").

Edited by TServo2049
  • Like 1