kayumanggi

Weekend estimates: 15.90 M THE MARTIAN | 15.50 M GOOSEBUMPS | 11.37 M BOS | 10.83 M TLWH | 9.00 M HT II | 8.20 M PA: TGD | 7.27 M STEVE JOBS

Is Jem possibly under $1,000,000 not interesting enough then?  Until Jem, Universal had avoided a place in the Top 10 "worst very wide opener" list.  And unlike the other members of that list like Oogieloves, Jem and the Holograms is a known brand.  That is what separates it from the others.  People knew about this movie before its release.

I read that the makers fooled fans pretending that casting would be done through fan submitted YouTube videos. And then they used those videos in the movie to explain why people love Jem. Hilarious backfire on them.

All of Jem's budget went to getting Chris Pratt, The Rock, and Ariana Grande to cameo (not Fallon though, he's a Comcast shill).

The Rock? Chris Pratt? :kitschjob: They are in the movie? I am shocked they didn't throw them into marketing at the last minute.

I read that the makers fooled fans pretending that casting would be done through fan submitted YouTube videos. And then they used those videos in the movie to explain why people love Jem. Hilarious backfire on them.

Mess. So the movie is half made by youtube videos? C'mon. 

The Rock? Chris Pratt? :kitschjob: They are in the movie? I am shocked they didn't throw them into marketing at the last minute.Mess. So the movie is half made by youtube videos? C'mon. 

This explains a lot about how they screwed fans over. http://www.indiewire.com/article/how-the-jem-and-the-holograms-movie-manipulates-its-biggest-fans-20151022

It seems only right that the long-rumored live-action "Jem and the Holograms" feature was announced by way of a YouTube video. In March of 2014, the film's creative team — including director Jon M. Chu and producers Jason Blum ("Paranormal Activity") and Scooter Braun (best known as Justin Bieber's manager) — took to the Internet to share that, not only was the film finally in the works, but that they were seeking fans of the original series to make their story rock.

"We want to invite you into our process and help us make our next movie, from writing music to designing costumes to even casting," Chu said, holding a Jem doll up to the camera as proof. "Whatever it is, we want you to be part of our creative team."

Chu's request for fan involvement was a wise one, considering how devoted Jem fans still are to the television series, a Hasbro-created cartoon that ran for three seasons from 1985 to 1988.

Yet here were were three well-established Hollywood men announcing their intentions to create a feature-length version of a beloved property that tends to lean towards a female audience, an inspirational rock star who frequently touts a desire for people to shine and be unique in their own ways.

Just a little over a month later, Chu's "Jem and the Holograms" had found its star: Aubrey Peeples, a professional actress best known for her turn on TV's "Nashville," who presumably didn’t use a YouTube video to submit her audition. As the rest of casting announcements for "Jem" started rolling in, however, it became clear that the film's leading roles would only be populated by professional talents, not newbies or rising stars culled from a video cattle call (even the film's supporting roles are filled by such big names as Molly Ringwald and Juliette Lewis).

No movie star in the making was going to be found, even if that was the intention in the first place, but that the video casting call was barely in place for month by the time Chu cast Jem and all her Holograms doesn't make it seem as if the creative team spent that much time wading through solicited submissions.

Instead, the request for fan-made videos became exactly what Chu initially said it was not: A contest.

That's perhaps why so many of the submitted videos in the final cut of the film feature fans wearing vintage "Jem" gear, dressed and made up like the original Jem and talking about the original character. Asked to address Jem's inspirational value, Jem, most fans talked about the character they knew, original Jem, the creation that's inspired them for an upwards of two decades, the imagined character that they know and love. Yet that adoration for Jem, old Jem, original Jem, doesn't have any place in a feature that's been "reinvented," which explains why all those fawning videos have been edited into the film to appear as if they are addressed to the new Jem, who watches them all, teary-eyed and bolstered by the outpouring of love from "her" fans.

This gets more hilarious the more you read. The fans abandoned this movie early.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 5

That's a disaster for Steve Jobs. The wide OW is going to be right around Jobs, except this one cost 3x more. All of the other openers are probably losing money too. This really has been the banner year for bombs. We've had all kinds of worst wide openings ever.

Mid-level hits are disappearing pretty fast. Shit nowadays either breaks out big or bombs spectacularly. 

• Like 2

This explains a lot about how they screwed fans over. http://www.indiewire.com/article/how-the-jem-and-the-holograms-movie-manipulates-its-biggest-fans-20151022

This gets more hilarious the more you read. The fans abandoned this movie early.

I am dying. :rofl: 

I wonder if the epic bombage for SJ will wipe out a lot of its Oscar chances? It's not like it's an indie darling or anything, it kinda needed to be at least moderately successful to continue awards season momentum. On the bright side, if Fass is out for best actor frontrunner, this could finally, FINALLY be Leo's year. Though I won't hold my breath on that.

Weird.  Why bother trying to get fans input for such a relatively "cult" interest and then not use it in good faith or...taste? 

Also surprised John Chu went for this...I'm sure he had better bigger opportunities after the last G.I. Joe (which I still haven't seen). 

Including the docs, there are 4 Steve Jobs movies in the last 4 years. All 4 may combine for about a whopping 40m DOM. 

This is crazy.  Maybe people just feel like they "know" Jobs well enough through everything else that's been published/produced about him...and the man himself?

• Like 1

I wonder if the epic bombage for SJ will wipe out a lot of its Oscar chances? It's not like it's an indie darling or anything, it kinda needed to be at least moderately successful to continue awards season momentum. On the bright side, if Fass is out for best actor frontrunner, this could finally, FINALLY be Leo's year. Though I won't hold my breath on that.

Matt Damon will swoop in and take it from Leo :ph34r:

• Like 3

All of Jem's budget went to getting Chris Pratt, The Rock, and Ariana Grande to cameo (not Fallon though, he's a Comcast shill).

They show up in this??  Bizarre.(Well, not so much for Grande, perhaps, but...)

Matt Damon will swoop in and take it from Leo :ph34r:

Oh I wouldn't even be surprised. I'm sure someone will in the end. Though it'd be nice if it were Cranston...

Watch it be Redmayne again, for what I'm sure is the most Oscar pandering performance of the year. Kinda like his one last year. Sensing a theme with him.

Edited by MovieMan89

Who are the other frontrunners?

Johnny Depp seems to be a lock for nomination but he won't win. 

Who are the other frontrunners?

Johnny Depp seems to be a lock for nomination but he won't win. 

He'll probably still get nominated (Fassbender), but I don't see the movie taking any big awards now. There's always Leo if they finally come to their senses, Redmayne if they want to be pandered to again, Depp since he should've won at least once back in the 90's, Caine if they want to go the older "career achievement" route, Damon because he'll probably be the populist pick, and maybe even Cranston if he's really great. So plenty of options really. 

Edited by MovieMan89

Jobs' reviews aren't that glowing anyway, so yeah, it's probably out.

Seems Universal is falling back to earth a bit after their ridiculous summer