WrathOfHan

Weekend Estimates (pg49): Mockingjay 101M | Spectre 14.6M | Night Before 10.1M | SITE 6.63M

3 minutes ago, Jayhawk said:

Plus the theme parks. Which is really weird considering the content of the franchise. Not exactly family-friendly.

I feel it will fail, a theme park MUST be family-friendly, THG is not that, it's not even watched by kids...I can't wait for a real Nintendo park by the way, can't believe it's still not done!

Edited by Fullbuster
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Fullbuster said:

I feel it will fail, a theme park MUST be family-friendly, THG is not that, it's not even watched by kids...I can't wait for a real Nintendo park by the way, can't believe it's still not done!

Universal bought the rights a few years ago I believe.

Edited by Jayhawk
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Jayhawk said:

Universal bought the rights a few years ago I believe.

Never heard of it, but a Nintendo park in the US would be so cool, I hope it will not be in California or Florida though they have enough of that, New York or Texas would be great for a change (and competition).

I haven't seen the movie or read the books, but it is possible that a bleak, more downbeat conclusion just isn't something that interests people as much? What these preview numbers indicate to me is that the absolute THG diehard fanbase was smaller than we generally thought, and while the series was successful in luring more casual viewers in for the immediate first shows for THG and CF, those viewers drifted away for the last two segments.

Anecdotally, my family experience matches grim's. My wife and I saw THG and CF on opening weekend. There was less interest in catching MJ1 immediately (though I think it was the second weekend when we saw it), and there's even less interest in seeing MJ2... even though my wife enjoyed reading the books.

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, Fullbuster said:

Never heard of it, but a Nintendo park in the US would be so cool, I hope it will not be in California or Florida though they have enough of that, New York or Texas would be great for a change (and competition).

Texas? That would be weird, it's not a state I usually associate with theme parks.

10 minutes ago, Fullbuster said:

I believe it's going to be in Orlando. At least a few years away though, last I'd heard.

40 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

I just want to point out that OS grosses never mattered to Lionsgate. Whether it does 300M os or 500m os doesn't change a thing for them.

They don't distribute those films OS, they sold the rights everywhere and we don't have those numbers.

Only the dom gross matters to them.

Just a friendly reminder.

To follow up on this, selling off the foreign territories means their production budget is probably mostly covered. That, combined with their general frugality on marketing (and the fact they only have to worry about domestic marketing), means (at a guess) Lionsgate is only on the hook for 80-100m with production/marketing combined.

So even a "disappointing" performance is going to be extremely profitable for them.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, lab276 said:

Texas? That would be weird, it's not a state I usually associate with theme parks.

Well, Shanghai neither as well but it will still have a Disneyland :P It's about population : Texas is the second most populated US state and the fastest-growing one among the big states. That would make sense, plus that would attract people from Mexico, Louisiana and Oklahoma, it would be quite a big deal given there is no big competitor in the state. Just sayin'

Edited by Fullbuster

6 minutes ago, Jayhawk said:

I believe it's going to be in Orlando. At least a few years away though, last I'd heard.

Why would they put it there with such a huge competition, it's cannibalism...

Edited by Fullbuster