Slow West (2015)  

5 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

This is definitely worth a watch, it's an intriguing and slow moving western (albeit the name).  It doesn't necessarily climax as well as you'd like it to, but it's fairly original and satisfying.

It's like Coen Brothers meets John Wayne, very artsy and stylish, but it also has a fair bit of grit to it.  It's an enjoyable and brief watch.  Id compare it to Blue Ruin from last year, but it's not quite as suspenseful.

B

Edited by The Panda

Slow West has one accurate title. Despite an 80 minute runtime, I was bored for a majority of it. Don't get me wrong, the acting was good and the cinematography was downright gorgeous at points, but the film has only two characters, neither of which are developed past archetypal backstories. There's a sequence in it where Jay (Kodi Smit-McPhee) stumbles onto a camp of travelers and someone there tells a story much more fascinating than the film itself. The only standout part of Slow West is the ending shootout, which is captivating and beautiful. Too bad the movie squanders it away with an outright awful denouement. Slow West has a lot of potential but manages to just be average thanks to... well, the slowness of its filmmaking. C

I was actually pretty engrossed in it the whole time, and it never felt particularly slow to me. But the vistas were giving me a half-chub so that might just be a me thing.

I'm still struggling to come to terms with Mendelsohn's coat. I'm so glad they let him keep it. Guy looks so snug in it.

sundance-benm-slowwest.jpg?token=ghr7EkE

• Like 1