grim22

BOF's Top 25 movies of 2015. Full list on Page 13. The forum is shiny and chrome.

6 minutes ago, ThatOneGuy said:

deadpool and kingsman should push #25 off the list and mad max and star wars into #3 and #4

Deadpool is a 2016 film, patience.  

Edited by Kalo

1    Mad Max: Fury Road    521 - A skillfully made action movie. But not the best film of the year.

2    Star Wars    513 - My criticisms of this have probably been made by many others, but I just can't get past the "A New Hope"-ish feelings. Lack of originality isn't necessarily a killer for me, but I do think it's harder to excuse when it's your own franchise you're borrowing from. There's a lot of fun moments and I loved BB-8, but I'd be lying if I said I wished it wasn't something more.

3    Inside Out    504 - I have no issues with anyone who loved this film. I too love to see Pixar try odd premises like this, and indeed certain scenes really do work for me on an emotional level. But overall I just think they strained too much to make it fit their house-brand "buddy adventure" mold. The script makes me go "Wait, what?!" too many times to really connect with the story and characters on a scene-by-scene basis. The Good Dinosaur got a lot of flack for being "unoriginal", but I felt it was at the very least more consistent in its worldbuilding, even if it wasn't the urban dinotopia people wished it had been.

4    Creed    312 - Really surprised me with how skillfully it balanced entertaining boxing action with a truly touching romance. Ryan Coogler is a force to be reckoned with.

5    Room    237 - Favorite film of the year. Beautifully made all around. 

6    The Martian    219 - Treats its premise with too much of a light touch, imo. I think I wanted less of the media circus aspect and more of the day-to-day survival. Found certain stylistic flourishes questionable too.

7    Kingsman: The Secret Service    216 - Haven't seen in full. Need to get around to it.

8    Ex Machina    206 - Masterwork in low-key sci-fi. The interplay between the three characters is always engaging and the score by Portishead is vastly underrated.

9    The Big Short    205 - I get why people think this film is important and/or necessary, but personally I found it too much of the same old aimless cynicism that has been the norm when talking about Wall Street bankers for as long as I can remember. I want a film that tries to explain why this stuff happens without demonizing anyone so we can figure out possible solutions.

10    Sicario    177 - Great film that put Denis Villeneuve on my "free pass" list. I actually liked Benicio del Toro in a role for once. Cannot wait for Story of Your Life.

11    Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation    158 - I found this movie to be pretty disposable. It strives for classiness but lacks both the humor and the memorable setpieces that made Ghost Protocol such a breath of fresh air for the franchise.

Spotlight    158 - Terrific. Great pacing and screenwriting and I really appreciated the sensitivity they treated the subject matter with when they could've easily been more lurid or didactic. Slightly annoyed by the neutered profanity, though, especially considering it got an R rating anyway

Bridge of Spies    158 - Breezy, educational Spielberg. He does as much as he can to make what might've been too stuffy in any other director's hands into an entertaining film.

14    Jurassic World    136 - Cheesy fun. Probably doesn't deserve to be this high but I hold nothing against this film. 

15    Steve Jobs    126 - Didn't see.

16    The Revenant    122 - Liked it when I watched it, but it's faded away relatively quickly. Don't know if I really took anything away from it.

17    It Follows    120 - Overrated film of the year, imo. An interesting idea marred by a not-very-scary monster and a climax/resolution that abandons all internal logic

18    Brooklyn    109 - A pleasant 2 hours. Loved Julie Walters and Ronan makes a good protagonist but resolution didn't feel earned

19    The Hateful Eight    104 - Didn't see

20    Spy    103 - Didn't see

21    Mockingjay Part 2    82 - No. Too faithful to the risible love triangle and it really detracts from whatever intrigue there is in its social commentary.

22    What We Do In The Shadows    79 - Didn't see

23    Straight Outta Compton    78 - I was very entertained by this. Would put it higher

24    Furious 7    65 - Decent, with a nice tribute to Paul Walker. Guess with 25 spots it was too big and not bad enough to not be on the list

25    The Man From U.N.C.L.E    62 - Didn't see

Edited by tribefan695

Just going through the list and Wow, My short review for IO was among the two used! Yayy! But just at number 3 :( !?! I wanted it at first. Didn't watch enough movies to submit a list or it'd have been number 1 and Mad Max would definitely have been number two. I just hope I find out Mad Max to be the top ranker now in a few seconds.

P.S I seriously shouted out loud when I saw AOU at #7. Thank God that was a prank :lol:

Edited by Infernus

On 2/7/2016 at 3:59 PM, grim22 said:

Thanks for following along everyone. Here is the 2015 mashup trailer

And here are the standings

1 Mad Max: Fury Road 521
2 Star Wars 513
3 Inside Out 504
4 Creed 312
5 Room 237
6 The Martian 219
7 Kingsman: The Secret Service 216
8 Ex Machina 206
9 The Big Short 205
10 Sicario 177
11 Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation 158
Spotlight 158
Bridge of Spies 158
14 Jurassic World 136
15 Steve Jobs 126
16 The Revenant 122
17 It Follows 120
18 Brooklyn 109
19 The Hateful Eight 104
20 Spy 103
21 Mockingjay Part 2 82
22 What We Do In The Shadows 79
23 Straight Outta Compton 78
24 Furious 7 65
25 The Man From U.N.C.L.E 62

Our top 25 ranked based on Rotten Tomato scores: 

1) Inside Out - 98%

2) Brooklyn - 98%

3) Mad Max Fury Road - 97%

4) It Follows - 97%

5) Room - 96%

6) Spotlight - 96%

7) What We Do In The Shadows - 96%

8) Creed - 94%

9) Mission Impossible 5 - 93%

10) Spy - 93%

11) Sicaro - 93%

12) Star Wars - 92%

13) The Martian - 92%

14) Ex Machina - 92%

15) Bridge of Spies - 91%

16) Straight Outta Compton - 88%

17) The Big Short - 88%

18) Steve Jobs - 85%

19) The Revenant - 82%

20) Furious 7 - 81%

21) Kingsman - 75%

22) Hateful 8 - 75%

23) Jurassic World - 71%

24) Mockingjay pt 2 - 70%

25) The Man From U.N.C.L.E - 67%

(I only ranked the movies that made our top 25)

Edited by grey ghost

By Metacritic score:

1. Inside Out- 94

2. Spotlight- 93

3. Mad Max: Fury Road- 89

4. Brooklyn- 87

5. Room- 86

6. It Follows- 83

7. Creed- 82

Steve Jobs- 82

9. The Big Short- 81

Bridge of Spies- 81

Sicario- 81

Star Wars: The Force Awakens- 81

13. The Martian- 80

14. Ex Machina- 78

15. The Revenant- 76

What We Do in the Shadows- 76

17. Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation- 75

Spy- 75

19. Straight Outta Compton- 72

20. The Hateful Eight- 68

21. Furious 7- 67

22. The Hunger Games: Mockingjay- Part 2- 65

23. Jurassic World- 59

24. Kingsman: The Secret Service: 58

25. The Man From U.N.C.L.E.- 56

That's right, our #7 was 24th by Metacritic!

Edited by WrathOfHan
  • Like 1