grim22

BOF's Top 25 movies of 2015. Full list on Page 13. The forum is shiny and chrome.

2 hours ago, CoolioD1 said:

creed = smart way to reinvent a franchise. not afraid of stylistic change.

force awakens = jj abrams is a big pussy or the lazy way to reinvent a franchise.

I think you drank too much Irn-Bru over the years

2 hours ago, grim22 said:

Before the reveal of the Top 3, here are the numbers 26-35

26 The Good Dinosaur
27 Ant-Man
28 The Gift
29 Carol
30 Peanuts
31 Pitch Perfect 2
32 Magic Mike XXL
33 Avengers: Age of Ultron
34 Shaun the Sheep
35 Paddington

The top 3 was a horserace from the very beginning, as with a different deadline, any of them could have been #1. In the end, the difference between #1 and #3 is just 17 points i.e. one additional list putting one of them at #3 while omitting the other 2 would have given us a different #1. 

Peanuts was so close. If I would voted I could have gotten maybe in the top 25. 

Not a bad Top 5, for once. I'll admit I found Room fairly overrated*, but the other top four were deserved, IMO.

Then again, it's hard to get all that angry at this list compared to last year's. I've still not forgiven the forum for voting Interstellar as No1. Or TDKR as No1 in 2012. Or inevitably Dunkirk as No1 in 2017.

*(I'll save you the time, Tele, and make the face myself.)  :kitschjob:

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Goffe said:

BOF's Top 5 in 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015. 

2015 - 58 lists received
1. Mad Max: Fury Road     
2. Star Wars     
3. Inside Out 
4. Creed     
5. Room     

2014 - 43 lists received
1. Interstellar
2. Boyhood
3. Grand Budapest Hotel
4. Whiplash
5. X-Men Days of Future Past

2013 - 42 lists received
1. Gravity 
2. Frozen
3. Catching Fire
4. Pacific Rim
5. Wolf of Wall Street

2012 - 29 lists received
1. Dark Knight Rises
2. Skyfall 
3. Django
4. Argo
5. Life of Pi

In my opinion, 2014 had the best top 5

The number of lists doubled in 3 years :) 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Baumer said:

Just got off work. Trying to read everything.

Great work Grim

love chohns quips

875live is my alter ego

no likes yet, so you still get it in written form :P 

but someone had to take your side when you weren't here ;) 

Edited by 75live

On 2/6/2016 at 3:32 PM, grim22 said:

103 Me & Earl & The Dying Girl

really that low? it almost made my top 10. 

btw I completely forget that this countdown was happening last weekend. :P but not too bad so far. back to reading.

On 2/7/2016 at 2:57 PM, grim22 said:

Hide contents

Avengers: Age of Ultron

u0kkjhT.png

sr5peQt.png

The Avengers returned to action after a 3 year break and brought this amazing movie with them. My favorite part was definitely how they showed that the team saved literally every single civilian during the finale for sure. The Hulkbuster sequence was cool as well

BOF User Reviews

So... is it any good? Of course it's good - this is the golden goose of the MCU, people! Is it better than the first one? Nope, but it's still pretty damn good. If anything, this film will make you appreciate the lightning-in-a-bottle quality of the first Avengers. The closest comparison I can think of is Star Trek Into Darkness v ST09. It has a noticeably darker tone than the first Avengers, and definitely feels a bit overstuffed. The set pieces too (as impressive as they are) don't quite have the clarity that they did before. On quite a few occasions, I didn't know what was happening (and I say that as someone who is moderately versed in MCU-lore). And it lacks the same sense of zip & whizz that the first film had - it just doesn't quite move along at the same pace.

All that being said, the more one tries to compare back to TA, the more disappointed you'll be. Taken on its own terms, it's a damn fine piece of blockbuster film-making. Ultron is a worthy and credible foe (James Spaders voice.... :wub: ) and the film is a technical marvel, forgive the pun. The final set piece in Sokovia is spectacularly well staged and realised.

Other random thoughts:

- The opening/pre-credits sequence is great. Joss Whedon has probably got a great Bond film in him somewhere based on that.

- MVP - Hawkeye (whoda thunk it?). Although BW & Hulk are a close joint second.

- LVP - Aaron Taylor Johnson - Hollywood please stop now. To be honest, none of the new additions to the team made much of an impact (including Vision sadly). 

Overall this delivers exactly what you'd want it to - massive (and massively entertaining) action sequences, and quips galore (although the Cap / 'Language' running joke gets tiresome pretty fast). From a BO point of view, I can't see this having quite the same repeat value as the first so I'm thinking slightly higher OW, slightly lower total (from a US Domestic point of view anyway). Internationally this is going to do silly numbers.

-Solaris

How did that happen? I'm a pretty big marvel fan and even I'll admit it was pretty mediocre. I loved Ant-Man and I don't even think that should be this high lol  nevermind.

Edited by Kalo

On 2/6/2016 at 2:59 PM, grim22 said:

#21 - THIS IS NOT A JOKE or MISDIRECTION 

Hide contents

The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 2

ydjX3dk.png

I8i69oi.png

Since I haven't actually watched the movie, I cannot write anything concrete here. 

BOF User Reviews:

Slow burn but immensely great. This and P1 together are an altogether different beast to CF, while that was more fun and fast paced, this is a slow burn war film, I found this especially poignant and altogether the way they did it makes sense (minus long gap between the two parts), I don’t think a CF type film would be worked for this story, it’s not that type of film at all. Brilliant and fitting end. Temper expectations in terms of epic explosive conclusion because this is a slower and more thoughtful conclusion.
JLaw: fantastic but wasn’t expecting anything but. Hutch was great, Gale is probably my main nitpick, too obvious about his principles, talks a bit too much rhetoric at start, which is an odd characterisation change from P1 . Core supporting cast (Harrelson, Banks, PSH, Malone, Claflin, Sutherland) were a joy to watch, not too sure on Moore though (although one scene early on is fantastic) but we’ll see when I see this again tomorrow night.

Other points:
- trailers featured too many major lines and that took away from their impact in the film, especially with one scene early on.
- Squad 451 cast - underused but damn Henson (Foggy from Daredevil) was a standout, wish there was more Ali.
- Coin (Moore) unintentionally funny? Drew a few chuckles from the audience.
- Credits song and suite are beautiful, bravo JNH and JLaw.
That’s it for now, more tomorrow after rewatch.
8.5/10 CF>MJ2>HG>MJ (CF>MJ1&2 together as one>HG)

-Antovolk

Adored this

10/10!

-Films

i find it hilarious how this has like straight 7/10s across the board lmao

• Like 1