Cmasterclay

2015 Awards and Precusors (PGA NOMS ON PG. 10)

1 hour ago, PenguinHyphy said:

Straight Outta Compton is surely in before Sicario. It got an ensemble nomination at SAG and will probably get a WGA nomination for original screenplay. Room is also a sure thing as well. 

Sicario got an editing nod from the EDDIES, plus critics choice, plus I can't see SoC getting any other nods.

If Carol and Room aren't nominated at the Oscars this really is going to be strange. I can't understand how stuff like Ex Machina, Sicario, and SOC could make it over those two? Such a bizarre year. 

Though I'm more convinced now then ever BoS will end up getting in. I was always hesitant to exclude and now I for sure am not excluding it in my predictions. 

Edited by MovieMan89

6 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Though I'm more convinced now then ever BoS will end up getting in. I was always hesitant to exclude and now I for sure am not excluding it in my predictions. 

Agreed, I was trying to think of reasons why it could miss and couldn't come up with anything.

• Like 1

As for the remaining guilds, predicts:

WGA - ORIGINAL

Bridge of Spies

Sicario

Spotlight

Straight Outta Compton

Trainwreck

WGA - ADAPTED

The Big Short

Carol

The Martian

Steve Jobs

Trumbo

DGA PREDICTIONS

Adam McKay, The Big Short

George Miller, Mad Max: Fury Road

Ridley Scott, The Martian

Alejandro González Iñárritu, The Revenant

Tom McCarthy, Spotlight

Edited by Alpha

Speaking of Room, I find this fascinating:

Adam B. Vary ‏@adambvary 
Surprised that Carol is missing from PGA nods, but not Room. The I-don't-want-to-see-kids-in-peril factor is high on that film, I'm afraid.

Well, at least we'll know why the film misses Best Picture on nomination morning if it does.

On precedent over the years with 10 nominees, every year 1-2 films that the PGA didn't nominate got an Oscar nom.  In most cases one.

So of Carol, Room, Inside Out, and Star Wars, at least one of them will get a nomination.  Maybe two.

Due to Star Wars getting an Eddie nod, I'd think that'd place it over Carol and Room.

3 minutes ago, The Panda said:

On precedent over the years with 10 nominees, every year 1-2 films that the PGA didn't nominate got an Oscar nom.  In most cases one.

So of Carol, Room, Inside Out, and Star Wars, at least one of them will get a nomination.  Maybe two.

Due to Star Wars getting an Eddie nod, I'd think that'd place it over Carol and Room.

I think Star Wars missing here when they even nominated Star Trek '09 seems pretty telling of its likelihood of getting nominated. Only case you can really make is that it was revealed too late (btw I'm still laughing at BFCA retroactively adding it as an 11th nominee all because they didn't see it in time for when voting was done. Shameless.).

21 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

The only movie that has gotten nominated for PGA, SAG, and WGA and missed a BP nomination this millennium is Bridesmaids, this bodes extremely well for SOC

Yeah, and Bridesmaids well - that is the definition of a film the Academy would never nominate in the Picture category - no matter how well it did elsewhere. SOC is as near a lock at this point as Spotlight and The Big Short are.

29 minutes ago, narniadis said:

Yeah, and Bridesmaids well - that is the definition of a film the Academy would never nominate in the Picture category - no matter how well it did elsewhere. SOC is as near a lock at this point as Spotlight and The Big Short are.

I wouldn't go that far but it's definitely ahead of Brooklyn, Carol, and Room.