Cmasterclay

2015 Awards and Precusors (PGA NOMS ON PG. 10)

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

It's likely gonna take home nothing on Oscar night. The Wolf of Wall Street 2.0, pretty much.

I still think it has a good enough shot- three way race, IMO- but all the people that have been giving the hot takes about it being "a lock" are looking a bit unwise. 

Just now, Cmasterclay said:

I still think it has a good enough shot- three way race, IMO- but all the people that have been giving the hot takes about it being "a lock" are looking a bit unwise. 

At this point I'm inclined to think The Revenant is going all the way. According to Pete Hammond (in a podcast that was later taken down and re-uploaded with those comments taken out but since it was out there on the Internet in the first place it's there forever), The Big Short's PGA victory was by a whooping...3 votes (he wouldn't disclose what the runner-up was). So yeah, the people who were championing it as a lock were doing so prematurely.

• Like 1

Say what you want about The Revenant and Inarritu and whatever, but the fact that a "minority" director could pull off back-to-back Best Picture/Best Director wins (with his latter movie also being a considerable box office hit to boot) is a huge win for the whole "Diversity!" movement that has become especially noticeable in this year of #OscarsSoWhite.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, ladyevenstar22 said:

do people realize what it took to produce this movie let alone direct it and act in it 

Yes. But "it was so haaaaard, you guys!" shouldn't earn you an Oscar. And if that's what the voters are impressed by, it's even dumber that the awards aren't going to Miller, who spent as much time in the desert as Inarritu did chasing snow and the result was a brilliantly directed movie and not a beautiful mess. 

ugh jake , sorry i guess i didn't follow my thoughts to their rightful conclusion , what i should have said is that given all that they were able to produce such a gorgeous and beautifully directed and acted movie that was in my opinion quite the cinematic experience and i saw a screener on my flatscreen and i'm impatient as hell to go see it on the big screen , i understand some criticism after all opinions are opinions and you feel what you feel we are each individuals receptive to different stimulii.

i always knew i would see this movie because of leo , i wasn't particularly interested in the subject but i do trust he has taste in projects he choose to go forward with , frankly i think leo should have won for wolf i thought he had hit a high with that one but after seeing it i was like wow he just went a whole other level for his craft !

i wasn't on inarritu bandwaggon last year because not impressed by birdman at all so i do understand people who feel that way about the revenant but you know the saying give to caesar what belong to caesar , well inarritu is caesar / leo is caesar and lubesky is caesar ! the sound was gorgeous too 

maybe they win maybe they don't but i think by now its more likely than not they all get their statuette , what is still in doubt is the best pic award but if you're going to give them that much why not add in best pic , best supporting actor too and a few techs , i've read they might get up to 6-8 awards 

we' ll see ...

now for my 5sec fangirling moment:

what has me excited is thought of that cray photo op should both leo and kate win just imagine from titanic to Oscar finally together again awwwwwwwwwwwww

I did a rundown of the big 5 industry awards (PGA, DGA, GG, BAFTA and SAG) for the last 4 years to try to assess this year's film chances. Interesting that all the BP winners last years needed at least 3 wins of the big 5:

GG: Argo, 12YAS, Boyhood, Revenant 
BAFTA: Argo, 12 YAS, Boyhood, Revenant
PGA: Argo, Gravity/12Yas, Birdman, Big Short
DGA: Argo, Gravity, Birdman, Revenant
SAG: Argo, Hustle, Birdman, Spotlight
Totals:
Argo - 5/5 - won
Gravity - 2/5 - lost
12 YAS - 3/5 - won
Birdman - 3/5 - won
Big Short 1/5 - ??
Revenant 3/5 - ??
Spotlight 1/5 - ??
Hustle - 1/5 - lost
Interesting to look at these. Not sure if they mean anything or not. But interesting to the look at the 5-piece combo.

Weird, either Revenant wins BP or Theres a BD BP split again.

Id say 

40% - Revenant BP/BD

40% - Big Short BP/Revenant BD

19% - Spotlight BP/Revenant BD

1% - Some other combo

PGA is the only one with a perfect record since the expansion, so it makes it hard to ignore Big Short.  It's also hard to ignore Revenant's 3 wins.

Spotlight is the dark horse

Edited by The Panda

4 minutes ago, The Panda said:

Weird, either Revenant wins BP or Theres a BD BP split again.

Id say 

40% - Revenant BP/BD

40% - Big Short BP/Revenant BD

19% - Spotlight BP/Revenant BD

1% - Some other combo

PGA is the only one with a perfect record since the expansion, so it makes it hard to ignore Big Short.  It's also hard to ignore Revenant's 3 wins.

Spotlight is the dark horse

The Big Short's chances of winning are slim to none now, momentum is bleeding quickly if not already completely lost. Also, as has already been pointed out, its PGA victory was by a mere 3 votes so clearly it isn't that strong of a player.

9 minutes ago, filmlover said:

The Big Short's chances of winning are slim to none now, momentum is bleeding quickly if not already completely lost. Also, as has already been pointed out, its PGA victory was by a mere 3 votes so clearly it isn't that strong of a player.

Slim to none?  3 votes or not it still won the PGA.  Revenant can easily be seen as a makeup for Birdman at the BAFTAS and Globes.

You can make an argument for either, but neither have a slim to none chance.

6 minutes ago, The Panda said:

Slim to none?  3 votes or not it still won the PGA.  Revenant can easily be seen as a makeup for Birdman at the BAFTAS and Globes.

You can make an argument for either, but neither have a slim to none chance.

Yeah, but The Big Short does not have a 40% chance of winning Best Picture still. Like come on now. It's more likely to win nothing than take home Best Picture.

But this whole season has been wacky so who knows. Inarritu's back-to-back DGA wins was definitely an interesting turn of events.

8 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Yeah, but The Big Short does not have a 40% chance of winning Best Picture still. Like come on now. It's more likely to win nothing than take home Best Picture.

But this whole season has been wacky so who knows. Inarritu's back-to-back DGA wins was definitely an interesting turn of events.

Except the Big Short is a near lock for adapted screenplay and a dark horse for editing (if it wins BP I think it takes editing from Mad Max)

It has a decent shot at BP, as does Revenant.  I think Big Short has a better narrative as a "more important" feature but Revenant has more major wins, then again Big Short has the PGA and a SAG nod while Revenant lacks a screenplay and a SAG nod.  Then again Big Short is very quirky for the Academy and the Revenant is a technically impressive drama with the most Oscar nods, but Alejandro also recently won (where he hadn't at the Globes and BAFTAS, so those could easily be discounted).

Theres an equally long pro and con list for both.  I think it's either films game.

• Like 1