Impact

2012 Best Picture Thread

At this point, no nom for Spielberg and maybe no nom for picture.

Picture is locked, with the 1% rule, there's enough Spielberg worshippers, and Sentimental people to get it maybe even in the top 5 for BP nominations, but it's not winning, nor is Spielberg getting nominated.It'd take a unmitigated disaster, similar to the scale of one needed for Hathaway to loose BSA, for Lincoln to miss a BP nom. Edited by riczhang
  • Like 1

Yeah, Cloud Atlas is not happening. Too divisive and not AMPAS thing cause they`ll have to use their brains to follow it. Life of Slumdog Pi should be more up their alley. The book is apparently great but the trailer is trying hard to evoke Slumdog which is a big No-no in my book.

The important thing to remember with Cloud Atlas - as Nathaniel Rogers put it over at The Film Experience - is that voters can't vote against a movie. So even though it will be divisive, it has a shot if enough people love it. The passion-based nominations for The Tree of Life and Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close last year prove that point.

Also, in the wake of something like District 9 making the cut with the Best Picture field expanded, it doesn't seem so hard to wrap my head around a sci-fi flick like Cloud Atlas getting nominated. It just needs enough passion behind it.

Still pulling for a Moonrise Kingdom nomination, though with this 6 minute trailer I'm now a Cloud Atlas fanboy.

I think Moonrise's buzz has faded now, and that a BP nom is in serious jeopardy, but with some critics love it can pull back. And, Cloud Atlas isn't gonna happen, just no. I know sci-fi's have been nominated before, but this is kinda out there even for a sci-fi movie, and I just don't see it. It'd be nice if it did though. Just hoping for Amour, and i'm fairly confident it will, it just needs a lot of love from a few people, and I think it will prevail.

Having 10 BP nominations is so stoopid.Other categories have 5,6 nominations tops.

10 is only the max, it can be as low as 5 under the current rules now. Last year under these rules it was 9 BP nods. Edited by 4815162342

But we don't know how well this new system works. Perhaps the way it's set up means there will always be like 9-10 noms and therefore they should make the 5% rule or whatever it is 10% or something.

They probably should, I did the math a few months back, and it's actually so much easier for films with a lot of passion to get nominated.
  • Like 1

Having 10 BP nominations is so stoopid.Other categories have 5,6 nominations tops.

The idea was for Top 10 to allow blockbusters like TDK to get a nomination. Which DH2 snub despite being one of the best reviewed movies of 2011 pretty much exposed as smoke and mirrors. They`ll still nominate ELAIC type of shit despite inferior critical reception.