Impact

2012 Best Picture Thread

Wow! Time to change up my predicts again!http://hollywood-els...ning_setbac.php

I'm hesitant to kick Wallis out of my simply because it'll mean either moving Streep, or Riva up to #2, and that's really not likely they're #2, but then again Wallis would be the first person to get nommed for an Oscar without picking up a major televised awards nom since Djimon Houson for In America in 2002. I was already predicting her to miss GG-Drama, and BAFTAs, but I think now with her fading buzz, and this bad news, she'll miss BFCAs as well.

Wallis will still get her nod; I'm not so sure anymore about it getting in for Picture. I really hope it does.

5% rule ensures it, Actress I've already been losing confidence by the day, and I'm close to taking her out now. Henry's been taken off my list for Supporting Actor now though because of this.
  • Like 1

Revised Nominees Prediction:

1. Les Miserables (Predicted Winner)

2. Argo (The Academy ate this baby up :P)

3. Life of Pi

4. Lincoln

5. Amour

6. Silver Linings Playbook

7. The Master

8. Zero Dark Thirty

9. Beasts of the Southern Wild

10. Best Exotic Marigold Hotel.

Rapidly loosing faith in The Master, and Beasts, considering kicking both of them out now. My theory with the master is that even if it gets 5% of number 1 votes, there will be 10 other movies with more #1 votes which will prevent it from getting nommed.

• Like 1

Agreed. If Les Mis connects it's an instant home run, because the source stage musical is that good. That, plus the innate emotion, a desire to reward another musical, probable box office success, etc will all combine to make it the frontrunner.

If it's good, which so far seems to be the case.

I have to agree. Les Mis seems like a sure fire BP winner. I just don't see anything standing up to it. And, I do think a sweep is very possible with it potentially getting somewhere around 8 to 10 awards. However, I do think a BD split is possible if for no other reason Hooper was awarded just two years ago.

• Like 1

Wow. And word is getting around from a guy from Wells and O'Neill who is a the xiayun of Oscar predictions that Les Mis will sweep. Very interesting turn of events.http://hollywood-els...miz_will_sw.php

I hope he`s right. Musical is beyond amazing so if the movie is just as good it`ll be deserved monster sweep.The fall of Beasts and/or Master opens the door for the blockbuster spot. Most lists don`t have a SFX-ladden blockbuster despite TA and TDKR being well reviewed. So possibilities are:TSKR just because they snubbed TDK. No director nom.Cloud Atlas if it breaks out. No director nom.Team Bombur becasue AMPAS nominated movies form the same series. Most likely no director nom but if PTA falls too than someone will get in his place and so far all lists had him, Affleck, Spielberg and Hooper.

The thing that really excites me about Les Mis is that it has not just the potential to make the Academy go gaga, but its box office potential is also stronger than most Oscar films. I wouldn't be shocked if it ended up with 200m.

Well if God-Damn Mamma Mia did 150 million, this one better do 200.

From reading about it-Master is apparently very hard to watch and could of been easily a hour less.

I don't think it should be shorter..... But I suppose it could've been, and it is a difficult watch, but not as difficult as everyone says it is. It's a far easier watch than something like We Need To Talk About Kevin.

If Tree of Life can get a BP nod you can bet your sweet cheeks The Master will get one too. It needs the passion vote and I think enough people really love it. After the Lincoln screening it looks like it'll be nominated for almost everything including BSA (Tommy Lee Jones).