Impact

2012 Best Picture Thread

Lincoln-ZDT-Les Miz.Les Miz is squarely back in the race IMO, RT-score be damned. Box office is enormous, and AMPAS is likely lapping it up as we speak.

Argo is just as much a frontrunner as these films are. Just because it came out months ago, doesn't mean it is forgotten. Remember Silence of the Lambs, Crash?

Again, I'll tell you what I think should be nominated and then I'll tell you what I think WILL be nominated.Think:ArgoSLPZDTLes MizLincolnShould (IMO)ArgoSLPLincolnPerks of Being a WallflowerBest Exotic Marigold HotelEither way, I think Argo is winning it this year.

Argo has definitely been overshadowed by all the heavy hitters released in Nov-Dec, I'm sure nobody has exactly forgotten about it but its peak has come and gone. Lincoln is a powerhouse no matter from which side you look, Les Mis is right in the center of attention, and ZDT, not Argo, turned out to be the Middle East-set, based-on-a-true-story thriller of the year to collect the majority of critics' awards. Argo is locked for nominations, but as far as wins go, it's more of a dark horse now than a frontrunner or even a runner-up.I also agree that Argo doesn't deserve to win anything. It was a perfectly fine film, but other than the final act, nothing truly stood out for me. Affleck's best film is still Gone Baby Gone.

I think Argo just wasn't a personal and sharp enough piece of filmmaking for me to truly fall in love with it. The period detail is immaculate, the tension in the final act is spectacular, the actors, especially those playing the diplomats, all hit the mark (although I can't stand the blow-job Arkin is getting from the critics and the industry for more or less playing himself again). But it felt more like a history lesson than a movie at times - very pedantic and encyclopedic - and didn't really take any storytelling or dramatic risks, aside from focusing on people who weren't held in the embassy, but were hiding in the ambassador's house and forced to behave like guests (yet it was something the movie almost never cared to explore). So yeah, it was very well done, but seemed more professional and calculated rather than personal. I want to hear the creator's voice when I see a movie (especially such a high-profile one), not just have him do his job professionally and then leave having hardly said a word. Which is kinda what Affleck did.

• Like 1

I think Argo still has a solid chance- I haven't met anybody in real life who didn't love it. Got ovations mid scene both times I saw it. The Academy should remember it, but it isn't the frontrunner. The main problem is that it isn't a showcase for acting at all (and Arkin does not deserve a nom.)

• Like 1