#ED

Star Wars The Force Awakens: Opening Weekend | Actuals In 1st Post | $247,966,675 | The Force Awoke... and it's not sleeping anytime soon | 119, 68, 60

Just now, mikeymichael said:

So, it looks like most people are thinking that this is gonna be a close battle with Avatar's final run. What kind of weekday/2nd weekend numbers would TFA have to get to look like it might take a run at 850, 900, or more? 40 mil weekdays? 55 mil Xmas? 165 2nd weekend?

It wouldn't really need any of those to hit 900M.  For example, something like

250M OW

35M Mon

35M Tue

35M Wed

25M Thu

50M Fri

60M Sat

40M Sun

20M Mon

20M Tue

20M Wed

20M Thu

30M Fri

40M Sat

30M Sun

would be 710M after 17 days, then another 200M would certainly be feasible.

• Like 1

Alright I'm home (NYC and back again is always fun).  

Some confusion: 

Breaking down that 3D number we see 28% traditional 3D, Imax at 12% and 3D PLF at 7%. RealD 3D accounted for an estimated $78M of Force Awakens’ weekend at the bulk of its 14K screen supply. Of that RealD PLF hubs made $15M. Force Awakens in Imax stateside beat JW, $30.1M to $20.9M, at 391 sites. Per screen was $77K with 7 of the top 10 and 15 of the top 20 domestic locations being IMAX engagements.

Those grosses don't match those percentages.  12% IMAX, but 30.1M is 12% of 250M, so it doesn't work with any of the given estimates (238 or 241-246).  7% PLF, but 15M is 7% of 214.3M.  

Also, this makes me question the attendance record.  See the bolded.

Of all the demo stats and audience scores that we’ve gone through over the last three days, the most telling were those from Rentrak’s PostTrak indicative of repeat business in the days to come: 88% responded that they would recommend Force Awakens to a friend while  54% said Episode VII exceeded their expectations while 42% said it met their expectations. Of those that watched the film earlier this weekend, 95% of those polled said they knew five people who were going to come out and watch Force Awakens in the days to come. Force Awakens denizens also spared no expense to see the movie: 38% spent between $13-$15 to see the film, while 29% shelled out $16-$18 a ticket

Uhh, that's REALLY high.  Even if the last 33% spent $5 to see the film (obviously super duper low), that's an average price of $11.90, and there's no way >22M occurred at that price.  Also, more likely the last 33% spent about ~$10.00, which would put the average price at $13.55.  At 250M that's only 18.5M tickets.

The other side of the story would be that this is probably the norm for mega-openers; I HIGHLY doubt that they were running at the average ticket price on their OWs (TA/TDK/SM3/JW/AOU/etc.).  This means that it may be the case that no film has ever actually cracked 20M tickets on OW...but as long as we use the same scale, we should have at least a decent grasp of how they make rank relatively.

Edited by spizzer
  • Like 4

Okay I see low multiplier (low for winter) predictions being thrown around, between 3.1-3.4.

Is there any reason to believe this will have worse legs than the first Hobbit movie.

The WOM seems damn good then you have strong reviews and fans watching it 3-6 times.

Is there any eveidence that the legs will be weak or average for a winter blockbuster?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Okay I see low multiplier (low for winter) predictions being thrown around, between 3.1-3.4.

Is there any reason to believe this will have worse legs than the first Hobbit movie.

The WOM seems damn good then you have strong reviews and fans watching it 3-6 times.

Is there any evidence that the legs will be weak or average for a winter blockbuster?

There isn't atm…but when a movie has such a huge OW, some can't fathom a $800m+ dom total so they have to assume legs will be worse, etc.

Edited by FTF
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, grey ghost said:

Is there any eveidence that the legs will be weak or average for a winter blockbuster?

The only reason legs would be worse is that it opened that much bigger. There's never been a film like this in December so it's a bit of a wildcard, but I do think it'll be Avatar in the end. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, spizzer said:

Uhh, that's REALLY high.  Even if the last 33% spent $5 to see the film (obviously super duper low), that's an average price of $11.90, and there's no way >22M occurred at that price.  Also, more likely the last 33% spent about ~$10.00, which would put the average price at $13.55.  At 250M that's only 18.5M tickets.

The other side of the story would be that this is probably the norm for mega-openers; I HIGHLY doubt that they were running at the average ticket price on their OWs (TA/TDK/SM3/JW/AOU/etc.).  This means that it may be the case that no film has ever actually cracked 20M tickets on OW...but as long as we use the same scale, we should have at least a decent grasp of how they make rank relatively.

Yeah they aren't polling 8 year olds, which means the poll doesn't account for any child ticket prices. 

• Like 1