AndyLL

***SPOILERS*** The Force Awakens Spoiler Thread ***SPOILERS ALLOWED*** You have been warned! DO NOT ENTER if you don't want to be spoiled

4 minutes ago, BKB IS CAPTAIN AMERICA said:

I'm with Baumer on this.. Seeing Luke brought tears to my eyes.. Seeing Han Solo get killed brought tears to my eyes and was like watching a little part of myself die inside watching him die.. Still fantastic movie and who knows how many times I'll see this when I get the opportunity...

I can't accept Han is gone, i just can't.

I felt a bit better when i read on the SW Subreddit that apparently it was Ford that wanted the character killed off. I was annoyed that it was just Abrams being Abrams but if it was Fords choice then so be it.

5 minutes ago, BKB IS CAPTAIN AMERICA said:

I'm with Baumer on this.. Seeing Luke brought tears to my eyes.. Seeing Han Solo get killed brought tears to my eyes and was like watching a little part of myself die inside watching him die.. Still fantastic movie and who knows how many times I'll see this when I get the opportunity...

Same here. Right in the guts. No shame saying that I've actually cried during that scene, and the only time that I've cryed in a movie theater before was the epic battle of New York scene in The Avengers. 

11 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

I could ramble about Aliens all day you have no idea how bad it is.

I think the movie is as important in sci fi history as Star Wars & the first Alien.

The world building Cameron did for that movie is insane.

The Alien Queen is my favorite movie monster ever and both Giger & Stan Winston were geniuses.

Its the best sci-fi and best war film ever made imo. I literally have never met anyone who didn't like it (que incoming posts saying they don't like it lol). Its also one of the most quotable films of all time.

Anyway this isn't the place but i'm with you there bud.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jayhawk the Hutt said:

Also, don't know if this has been talked about, but the silence for the Lucasfilm logo was perfect. They knew they couldn't recreate anything close to the Fox fanfare, so it was a really nice touch that they went with the SW theme being the first thing heard.

I'm so glad they didn't have the Disney logo in front. Just the Lucasfilm logo.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GirafficPark said:

No scifi makes sence from a physics point of view, but most at least have their own rules, even star wars. What JJ does in his films is just plain stupid and illogical. That scene could have been handled a lot lot better with no loss to the story or spectacle. Quite the reverse.

If these are the things you are complaining about in Star Wars, then you are missing the whole point of it.  I'm not saying that to be snobby, but it's true.  It's a movie, not a science documentary.

• Like 3

I had a really a good time with several nagging caveats. It bothered me how well Finn and Rey fought Kylo. Didn't Luke have to spend a whole movie training to fight (and lose to) Vader. How are they so good with a lightsaber? That also ties into Rey's effortless use of the Force. How much training does she actually need from Luke? She seems way ahead of the game.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Baumer Fett said:

If these are the things you are complaining about in Star Wars, then you are missing the whole point of it.  I'm not saying that to be snobby, but it's true.  It's a movie, not a science documentary.

Couldn't agree more. And I'd add that the fairytale space opera aspect of Star Wars is key here. It's not really a science fiction movie. They are set in space, but they never were "adult" science fiction films. 

• Like 1

Watched it last night at 7pm at AMC Mercado in Santa Clara.  Private screening so was not 100% full.  

7-7.5/10 good-very good movie, couple gripes were the scale of the battles, only sending 12-15 XWing fighters (which constitutes half the fleet?!) to take out Starkiller base, and only sending 1 pilot to pick up such important information?  

A few random thoughts:  Lots of scenes seem out of the ANH palybook.  Han Solo was great in the movie, Leia does not move lips, loved the chemistry between the new characters (esp Rey, Finn and Poe, even BB-8).  I would have taken the 60 rations, wonder how she had such a quick attachment to the droid, like not selling that helpless Dodo bird you found wandering the streets, a rare find and worth a pretty penny, but you know it would be poked at and prodded.   Luke needs to run up and down the stairs a little more.  Never seen a blaster fire stopped in mid-air, only deflected before, and need not even concentrate to do so.  

Having said all that above, would probably watch again in theaters at least 2 maybe 3 more times.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, RichWS said:

I had a really a good time with several nagging caveats. It bothered me how well Finn and Rey fought Kylo. Didn't Luke have to spend a whole movie training to fight (and lose to) Vader. How are they so good with a lightsaber? That also ties into Rey's effortless use of the Force. How much training does she actually need from Luke? She seems way ahead of the game.

I take it that Kylo was overconfident/full of rage. Also he was shot in the stomach. :D

Edited by Jayhawk the Hutt
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, RichWS said:

I think thats why thye kept making it obvious that Kylo Ren was injued. Plus we get a lengthy shot in the middle of the fight that seems to show Rey's 'awakening' with the force.

It doesn't explain why she could use the lightsabre so good but i suppose we had already been shown that she could use a staff really well which is kind of the same thing.

• Like 1

Just now, RichWS said:

While I can see where your coming from Ren got hit by Chewy's gun which we saw numerous times throughout the movie destroy people. And Finn got a few hits on him as well. So he wasnt at full strength. Also we can assume from what we heard throughout the movie that he has not fully completed his training. Both are extremely powerful characters. And we have to remember Vader is the standard for strength as far as force users go. So its not really fair to compare to Luke vs Vader to Ren vs Rey.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RichWS said:

This didn't bother me, for a couple reasons. Firstly, Kylo Ren is not nearly the fighter Vader was. Secondly, Finn didn't really fight him that well... he basically got his ass kicked in a couple of minutes. Rey is obviously quite strong in the Force, so she was able to hold her own better (and we already saw her fighting much earlier in Jakku, so she at least knows her way around a street fight, whereas Luke had never done anything like that at all).

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, RichWS said:

Yoda:  Agree with this I do.  Kylo Ren many years training he had.  Lightsaber, Finn/Rey never wielded before.  Force is strong with this one  ---> Rey.

3 minutes ago, Baumer Fett said:

Those things are just as much part of the canon as any plot point, especially when they are actually a plot point. Sorry you cant see that.

Its besides the point anyway, there is a lot more wrong than just that, but i need to see it again to be sure. Its quite possible i just dont like JJs style.  For what its worth none of the guys i went with liked it that much either, so it may be cultural since we arent American

10 minutes ago, Baumer Fett said:

Agreed it is sci fantasy

7 minutes ago, RichWS said:

He was injured and Luke blow the Death Star in episode IV with no training.  She could have had some training. Luke could have wipped her mind when Ben went to the dark side. Didn't the film say Luke trained more than one jedi?

• Like 1

I do think that there's a lot more than meets the eye with Finn. Rey is Luke's daughter and I do think she HAD trainment as a kid before. Also I think that she's as much powerful as Anakin if not more, somehow Luke or someone else made her forget about happened to her and her parents. She thinks that Luke Skywalker is just a myth, but it's clear by the end of the film that she got flashbacks from things from her past that hints that she should remember who her father is. My guess is that she was one of the kids being trained, and Ben Kenobi was moved out of jealousy of Luke's way more powerful daughter when they were younger, that's what starts his descent to the dark side. 

I love the idea that Finn can tap into the force, but I still feel there's something about him that it's just not clear enough. I just love these new characters to death, and remember what Snoke said: "there has been an awakening", and right afterwards he indicates that something else has happened. My guess that's Finn. How he tapped into the force I still don't have a single clue, but I do think he does. 

• Like 2