AndyLL

***SPOILERS*** The Force Awakens Spoiler Thread ***SPOILERS ALLOWED*** You have been warned! DO NOT ENTER if you don't want to be spoiled

7 hours ago, Orestes said:

After the Star Tours ride and reading EU stuff, Starkiller was already like Death Star #5 for me at least.

The Jedi Academy Trilogy gave us the Sun Crusher and the original Death Star prototype.

• Like 1

The "this movie had lukewarm reviews" in its day argument is flawed.

Now we are accustomed to have metrics about a movie's reception.

So people can dig up 5,10 bad reviews from 1980 and say hey " ESB" had mixed reviews, hum NO.

I am sure the majority of critics & people understood how great Empire was in 1980, especially for a movie like Empire that is streamlined, efficient storytelling with so many memorable moments & characters it hurts.

3 hours ago, The Futurist said:

The "this movie had lukewarm reviews" in its day argument is flawed.

Now we are accustomed to have metrics about a movie's reception.

So people can dig up 5,10 bad reviews from 1980 and say hey " ESB" had mixed reviews, hum NO.

I am sure the majority of critics & people understood how great Empire was in 1980, especially for a movie like Empire that is streamlined, efficient storytelling with so many memorable moments & characters it hurts.

I posted that link just as a sample. 10 bad reviews is like 2% in a movie's tomatometer today but it was close to half the reviews a movie released in 1980 will get. I think it's common knowledge that ESB had mixed reviews when it came out.  You can search on the internet for old reviews if you don't believe me. Kubrick's The Shining  got nominated for multiple razzies in 1980 and today is in every "best horror films of all time" list. The Matrix had the usual "splosions no substance" reviews back in 99 and now it's a huge milestone in sci-fi cinema.

It seems absurd today with decades of hindsight but movies that are ahead of their time often get misjudged initially. 

• Like 1

On 1/1/2016 at 1:24 PM, Joel M said:

Death Star 3.0  is definately the most obvious weapon for people who are in the "TFA is just a rehash of ANH" camp. But this isn't the only problem these people have with the movie. I don't think it will be a dealbreaker to anyone else who liked the movie even if they didn't need to see another Death Star.

I also didn't like it, I would prefer to be anything else but a death star, but in the Starkiller base part of the movie we have 3 of the best/most memorable scenes that completely overshadow the "Ugghh, another Death Star, how original" sentiment.

-Kylo Ren interrogating Rey

-Han's Death

-Lightsaber duel

These are my 3 favorite scenes from the entire movie and all of them happened in the last act. 

My big problem with the movie is how Rey defeated Ren with no training whatsoever. Hard to care about Rey training with Luke Skywalker when she beat the main villain already. Kylo Ren looked terrible, reminded me of Napoleon Dynamite under there. I also hated how he casually unmasked, not once, but multiple times. It's like what's the point of the mask to begin with. 

1 minute ago, Sagemode87 said:

My big problem with the movie is how Rey defeated Ren with no training whatsoever. Hard to care about Rey training with Luke Skywalker when she beat the main villain already. Kylo Ren looked terrible, reminded me of Napoleon Dynamite under there. I also hated how he casually unmasked, not once, but multiple times. It's like what's the point of the mask to begin with. 

The reasons for all your issues have been hashed and rehashed over and over in this thread.

If you haven't read/understood them then you will not

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Darth AndyLL said:

The reasons for all your issues have been hashed and rehashed over and over in this thread.

If you haven't read/understood them then you will not

Whether they were explained or not, the way it was presented felt rushed to me. 

2 minutes ago, Sagemode87 said:

Ok, we understand that. For over a week now you made sure we all saw that and read it :lol:

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Sagemode87 said:

Just because you don't understand it, doesn't mean the answers aren't there.  Your mind is like a parachute, it works if you open it.

There's nothing rushed about it.  She's obviously been trained before.

2 hours ago, Ethan Hunt said:

“How did Rey beat Kylo's ass without training" should be the new “How did Bruce Wayne get to Gotham"

This isn't even close to that scene in TDKR.  There's logic behind Rey's ability.

• Like 1

Sorry Ethan, my bad.

I guess it all looks pretty clear to me.  They really basically tell you all you need to know, you just have to be open to possibilities and not deal in absolutes.

• Like 1