AndyLL

***SPOILERS*** The Force Awakens Spoiler Thread ***SPOILERS ALLOWED*** You have been warned! DO NOT ENTER if you don't want to be spoiled

This movie is flawed.

Rey couldn't possibly defeat Kylo Ren without any training.

I think JJ should be held accountable for tarnishing the Star Wars brand forever with that glaring plot hole that only serves the modern, liberal, feminist Hollywood agenda.

Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 2

55 minutes ago, BKB IS CAPTAIN AMERICA said:

Dude, all movies are flawed.. All of them.. If you look hard enough with any movie, you will always find something wrong... And blame Kathleen Kennedy for this.. She made it clear she wanted a female hero and you can sure bet, she'd over power her if she had the chance... The whole "Girl Power" thing is a big deal in 2016 and beyond... That's probably why WONDER WOMAN will be the highlight of BvsS and no one will give 0 fucks about BATMAN or SUPERMAN...

I'll be more interested in WW simply because I want something better than that lame 70s TV show for her.    I've got lots of Supes and Bats movies.   WW is fresh.

9 hours ago, Baumer Fett said:

There's nothing rushed about it.  She's obviously been trained before.

I have heard that theory before. So you believe she has been trained as a wee kid and then for whatever reason they erased her memory? Possible, i guess. I mean if Luke is her father, why didn't she recognize him? Or perhaps he isn't, or she never knew he was (or it's too long ago). Hundred possibilities... As for her faring well against Ren, considering Fin was no slouch either despite never having wielded a light sword before (which was maybe the bigger wtf; with Rey it was at least established that she was good with a staff) and Ren was injured, it falls within the suspension of disbelief territory even if she hadn't been trained before.

That training thing is, as someone pointed out, the " How Wayne got back to Gotham in TDKR ? " moment of 2015.

God forbid they don't address the issue AT ALL in Episode 8.

This would be fucking hilarious like, she s just a bad ass.

Move the fuck on please.

Nothing to see here.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, The Futurist said:

This movie is flawed.

Rey couldn't possibly defeat Kylo Ren without any training.

I think JJ should be held accountable for tarnishing the Star Wars brand forever with that glaring plot hole that only serves the modern, liberal, feminist Hollywood agenda.

It's more than clear to me that she has had training before.  I realize this is a big thread and I don't expect you guys to read every post, but I've touched on this three times now.  The awakening in the title refers to her, her ability has been awakened.  Luke was training a new breed of jedi.  When Ben turns into Kylo and slaughters them all, Luke, who had obviosuly been training her as well, puts her in hiding for several reasons.  One is that he wants her protected from Kylo and two is probably that he feels that if his nephew can turn to the dark side, then what's to stop his own daughter from going there as well.  I don't know how you wipe someone's memory but in the movie universe you can.

When she is being interrogated by Ren, and he is trying to extract the information from her, he cannot do it and this is the beginning of her understanding of her powers.  Kylo even says it...."she is strong in the ways of the force, she just doesn't know it yet."  He also freaks out when he is told that a girl helped them escape from Jakku.  He knows her, somehow he knows her.  They were kids together and my guess is she has more natural ability than he does because Luke is the most powerful jedi alive.  

On 12/29/2015 at 2:23 PM, Baumer Fett said:

Here's the post.

On 12/29/2015 at 9:17 PM, Baumer Fett said:

I've explained this several times, I realize it's a big thread...so one more time.

Luke trains a new breed of Jedi.

Leia wants Ben trained.

Luke, assuming he has a child, wants her trained too.

Ben turns to the dark side, seduced by Vader's memory

He forms the Knights of Ren.

He takes out all the Jedi, with the exception of Rey and obviously Luke

Luke holds himself responsible, thinking he could train Jedi like Yoda, fails and decides that like Yoda and ObI Wan, he must seek exile.

He fears for his daughters life and that she too might have her grandfather's tendencies.

He erases her memory.  How?  I have no idea, I'm not Lawrence Kasdan.

He takes her to Jakku and drops her with Plutt.  He helps raise her and keeps an eye on her.

She is also probably watched over by Tekka.....he tells Poe that he has seen too much, he is also on Jakku and he obviously knew Ben as a young boy.

Plutt is the one holding her hand when she is young.  She looks to be about 4 or 5, which is old enough to have Jedi training.

Kylo/Ben would be strong with the force no doubt, but if Rey had any training as a youngster, she would probably have more natural ability because of who her father is.

Also, the awakening is her ability with the force.

When Kylo tries getting the map from her head, he awakens it in her.  He can't get it out and she can now get into his head and realize that he is a scared, petulant kid who so desperately wants to be Vader, but isn't that strong and probably won't be until he kills his dad.

She has been using elements of the force all through the movie, like maneuvering the Falcon, like Anakin did in the pod race.

When she is in Maz's basement, that sabre calls to her.  Also, Kenobi's voice does say something like follow your father's footsteps.

Maz asks Han, "Who's the girl?"  I think she has an idea who she is.

And Luke, according to Snokes is the last Jedi left.  So if that is true, then she has to be someone's kid or kin.  

All roads lead to her being Luke's kid.

Even the look at the end when Luke sees her, it kind of looks like he is shocked that she is there, but he knows her and the force told him that eventually she would complete her destiny.

Here's the post.

7 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

I was making fun of "some" Star Wars fans.

Sorry Baumer & others.

:(

But there still are a lot who don't see it Futurist :)

• Like 2

Well I can't speak for everyone but from the way I understand it if you were my age or maybe even a generation before me and you saw Star Wars as a kid or a young adult or as a teenager, you would literally never seen anything like that before. And when I mean never seen anything I mean never seen anything. It did things that hadn't even been invented yet. So it's a series that just became part of the fabric of who you are. It kind of help define my youth. So in a way, those three films were much more than just movies to so many of us. Allowed us to dream big. It showed us that there are endless possibilities that are out there. It made me discover films like Raiders of the Lost Ark and jaws and then rocky and ET and so on and so on. Star Wars first kind of introduced me to movies. I saw those films before I saw the ones that I mentioned. So when you say you don't understand it, that is understandable seeing as you were not around when they came out.

8 hours ago, John Marston said:

I assume that Rey is Luke's daughter and maybe even has some repressed memories. If she is just some random chick, I agree she seemed to use force abilities too quickly.

She isn't Luke Skywalker's daughter, but she does have repressed memories.  Repressed memories from a previous life. 

These movies are about Anakin Skywalker.

She's a reincarnated Anakin Skywalker / Chosen One.  Another immaculate conception by the Force.

That's why she's so skillful at fixing things, is deeply connected to Anakin's lightsaber, has flashbacks to Cloud City in which she hears Vader's breathing, Yoda and Obi-Wan.

Think about her wearing the helmet at the beginning of the movie at the foot of the AT-AT.  She evokes a young Ani / Jake Lloyd.

She's here to fulfill the prophecy of the Chosen One, and Jakku was her purgatory for her prior life's crimes.

She's Korra.

I've watched this movie five times now, and each time I feel more certain this is Rey's story.  I think it's sort of beautiful, operatic, and emotionally resonant.  It gives Episodes VIII and IX enormous narrative potential.

Edited by LinksterAC

6 hours ago, LinksterAC said:

She isn't Luke Skywalker's daughter, but she does have repressed memories.  Repressed memories from a previous life. 

These movies are about Anakin Skywalker.

She's a reincarnated Anakin Skywalker / Chosen One.  Another immaculate conception by the Force.

That's why she's so skillful at fixing things, is deeply connected to Anakin's lightsaber, has flashbacks to Cloud City in which she hears Vader's breathing, Yoda and Obi-Wan.

Think about her wearing the helmet at the beginning of the movie at the foot of the AT-AT.  She evokes a young Ani / Jake Lloyd.

She's here to fulfill the prophecy of the Chosen One, and Jakku was her purgatory for her prior life's crimes.

She's Korra.

I've watched this movie five times now, and each time I feel more certain this is Rey's story.  I think it's sort of beautiful, operatic, and emotionally resonant.  It gives Episodes VIII and IX enormous narrative potential.

I disagree with all of this.  she is Luke's daughter and she  has been trained by him before.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Baumer Fett said:

I disagree with all of this.  he is Luke's daughter and she  has been trained by him before.

Next time you watch the film, have this theory in mind.  There are a lot of beats that resonate more powerfully if you come from the standpoint that Rey is Anakin, sent back to fulfill a prophecy. 

We've had immaculate conception in this saga.  Why not borrow a theme from Eastern religion this time with reincarnation? (I suppose Christianity has it too)

Rey being Luke's daughter just seems 1) too obvious and 2) in conflict with Luke's devotion to the Jedi.  

4 hours ago, LinksterAC said:

Next time you watch the film, have this theory in mind.  There are a lot of beats that resonate more powerfully if you come from the standpoint that Rey is Anakin, sent back to fulfill a prophecy. 

We've had immaculate conception in this saga.  Why not borrow a theme from Eastern religion this time with reincarnation? (I suppose Christianity has it too)

Rey being Luke's daughter just seems 1) too obvious and 2) in conflict with Luke's devotion to the Jedi.  

It doesn't fit.  There are plenty of obvious hints in the film that she is Luke's daughter.  And why would reincarnation be introduced now?  It's never been mentioned before in the SW universe.  And Anakin did bring balance to the force like the prophecy said, he killed the emperor.

• Like 1

• Community Manager
3 minutes ago, Baumer Fett said:

It doesn't fit.  There are plenty of obvious hints in the film that she is Luke's daughter.  And why would reincarnation be introduced now?  It's never been mentioned before in the SW universe.  And Anakin did bring balance to the force like the prophecy said, he killed the emperor.

I like to believe he did fulfill the prophecy in the prequels. He brought balance the force: 2 Jedi and 2 Sith. ROTS was him fulfilling the prophecy.

5 hours ago, Darth Water Bottle said:

I like to believe he did fulfill the prophecy in the prequels. He brought balance the force: 2 Jedi and 2 Sith. ROTS was him fulfilling the prophecy.

Lucas said bringing balance to the Force was killing the Emperor and ending the Sith, whose experiments with midichlorians and life were throwing the Force out of balance.