AndyLL

***SPOILERS*** The Force Awakens Spoiler Thread ***SPOILERS ALLOWED*** You have been warned! DO NOT ENTER if you don't want to be spoiled

Can someone explain to me what the relationship is between the Resistance, the Republic, and the First Order? From what I understand, the First Order is the remnants of the Empire and the Resistance is the new Rebel Alliance. How does the Republic play into this (or did, considering they got obliterated)? The First Order destroyed the Republic with the Starkiller Base because they were supporting the rebels, but they supposedly had a substantial fleet of their own.

Was the Resistance a third faction or more like a terrorist group in the eyes of the First Order?

I had to explain that to a guy walking out of the theater, that Rey had to be Luke's daughter.  He said something like, "fucking awesome movie but Rey being able to beat Kylo was kind of stupid."  I explained to him and his friend that she has the force in her and it's strong, which means that she has to be the offspring of one of the greatest Jedi's to live.  

• Like 2

Just now, Jayhawk the Hutt said:

I know. It's inevitable that it's going to happen. It just doesn't need to be that way. There are plenty of force sensitive people in the SW universe.

Maybe she s just her Padawan and she has a serious case of Michelle Rodriguez in the F&F franchise.

When, where & with who Luke became a Man ?

How I met your mother anyone ?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Akiraptor said:

Can someone explain to me what the relationship is between the Resistance, the Republic, and the First Order? From what I understand, the First Order is the remnants of the Empire and the Resistance is the new Rebel Alliance. How does the Republic play into this (or did, considering they got obliterated)? The First Order destroyed the Republic with the Starkiller Base because they were supporting the rebels, but they supposedly had a substantial fleet of their own.

Was the Resistance a third faction or more like a terrorist group in the eyes of the First Order?

Terrorist group. The Resistance was an organization that operated inside the systems controlled by the First Order. But the Resistance received their support from a faction of worlds which had broken away from the First Order. Those worlds being the Republic.

Edited by Wrath

4 minutes ago, Bonenash said:

Baumer how do you like Stroke (the leader) i found him very good and menacing better than ultronbullshit ^^

Did you like it more than JW or the same?

I like it more than JW.  I liked JW a lot, but this is another level imo.  Don't ask me to rank this one right now compared to the other 6.  Can't do it yet.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Maybe she s just her Padawan and she has a serious case of Michelle Rodriguez in the F&F franchise.

When, where & with who Luke became a Man ?

How I met your mother anyone ?

05.jpg

• Like 5

1 hour ago, dashrendar44 said:

You don't have to be a geek about any movie subject to judge said movie as a movie. It's the director's task to make it entertaining and compelling to the audience whether the audience knows the technicality of an "hyperdrive" or not. SW is visual storytelling at the core so the mumbo jumbo is not really needed to get the crux of the story. So if some critics get bored by it, the mumbo jumbo is not actual reason, it's that the story and the presentation are not entertaining enough because knowing what is a Bantha or the difference between a T-67 and a T-71 won't change that.

You nailed it, Dash.

5 minutes ago, Jayhawk the Hutt said:

I know. It's inevitable that it's going to happen. It just doesn't need to be that way. There are plenty of force sensitive people in the SW universe.

Like who?  Luke is the last JEDI.  He tried to train others but to have the kind of skills Rey does so quickly, she has to have a very high mitichlorian count, and a lot of JEDI DNA.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Bonenash said:

Baumer how do you like Stroke (the leader) i found him very good and menacing better than ultronbullshit ^^

Did you like it more than JW or the same?

I'm undecided on him.  He really wasn't given much to do.  Is he emperor strong?  If so, how?  Where did he get his training from?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Chewy said:

That was a hella awkward pause at the end if she's not his daughter :lol:

Not at all. Luke's been in hiding for *decades* and someone shows up out of the blue and hands him his lightsaber? She could be Rhea Perlman and it'd be an incredibly dramatic moment.

I think the reviews were spot on. Its not as good as ESB, but its about as good as A New Hope and miles better than everything else. Hmm, A New Hope might be a tiny hair better, but they're within rounding of each other. Its really good.

There's no suggestion Luke's got kids, but he certainly has cousins who are also presumably very mitichlorian-gifted.

Edited by Wrath
  • Like 3

For me, gun to my head, right now, this is the second best SW.  But I can't say that definitively until I can process it a bit more.  But right now:

ESB:  10.5

TFA:  10

ROTS:  10

ANH: 10

ROTJ: 9.5

Clones: 9

TPM:  8.5

• Like 4