CJohn

STAR WARS TFA MONDAY ACTUAL - 40.1M, THE FORCE IS STRONGER THAN AVATAR! (pg48)

14 minutes ago, GiantCALBears said:

No one (credible) on this site had anywhere near the Monday total, & this is is quite an optimistic group here. Monday did 2/3 of Friday day business. That's just not possible at this level lol.

My stated overly optimistic prediction yesterday in the Weekend thread was 40m, does that count?

And I'd also say rth is credible, and he technically had 39-41m....

Edited by The Panda Menace

1 minute ago, smerfy01 said:

Every OT film was basically an adventure film. ANH, classic hero's journey. ESB, escape and peril. ROTJ is basically a rehash of ANH with finality/new locations.

We wanted an adventure film because that's what Star Wars IS. Not some political trade negotiation drama crap. Adventure. That's the point.

It still has to be a great film to be already having these kind of drops. If it wasn't great, I wouldn't have already seen it 3x. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

I thought we ve settled that a long time a ago.

The other comparable runs are ET, Star Wars & Jaws.

AVATAR belongs to that list. No one thought it was even possible for a blockbuster film to have 10x legs in this day and age, especially 10x legs off a 77mil opening weekend.

• Like 7

8 minutes ago, Elessar said:

Titanic is BY FAR the most impressive run in modern times.

2 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

I thought we ve settled that a long time a ago.

The other comparable runs are ET, Star Wars & Jaws.

Define modern times. I say that is post vcr 1984.  I agree, titanic is one.

Jaws was the run for 1952 (post TV) to 1984 (pre-vcr). WOM explosion among the most demos.

• Like 1

Titanic is one of my favorite films but its run is so impressive (20x legs) because it had a lot of negative press against it and its 30mil opening was the film flopping at that time. The film had great wom though and people took a chance on it and it just built up from there.

Just now, RichWS said:

How did King Bridges not make it into Stealth? I guess Cohen is allowed to drop one ball.

That was pre-Oscah Bridges, before that genie cursed him to always use his stupid fucking cowboy accent in every movie

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, smerfy01 said:

Every OT film was basically an adventure film. ANH, classic hero's journey. ESB, escape and peril. ROTJ is basically a rehash of ANH with finality/new locations.

We wanted an adventure film because that's what Star Wars IS. Not some political trade negotiation drama crap. Adventure. That's the point.

Speak for yourself. I would prefer a balance between the two. I found the first order/resistance/republic dynamic confusing. One of the bigger weaknesses of the film