baumer

Star Wars Tuesday - 37.3M (Tele/baumer bet for Wednesday drop is on page 24...much to learn one of them still has)

3 minutes ago, Infernus said:

150-180m would be a reasonable expectation right now simply because the marketing has been really great (according to the people who live there) and huge enough to make people feel that this is an event. Plus Sci-Fi films, and on a more general basis- films with heavy visual effects especially where those are used for action, perform great there. Martian, which didn't even have that much action and was an original movie (for most who don't even know of the book at least) with a quarter of marketing this has, made above 90m. Only thing against it is that if it sticks to its current release date it would be facing pretty heavy competition. Of course, the WOM it would generate will be a major factor too. If it's loved it may easily reach the high end of expectations and may even cross 200m.

If TFA does around 250m-300m ( generous predictions) in china then $2bn will be a piece of cake. 

1 minute ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Based on what Disney reported for previews vs. the Friday total. Same as we did on TDK, Avengers,DH2, JW, and many others. This is not a new thing at all. 

So you do not consider DH2's previews to be part of Friday when calculating week to week drops?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, VenomXXR said:

Current estimations from Chinese theater chains range from $200 million to $330 million. It's really a shot in the dark at this point. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for $400 million though :ph34r:

As much as I would love to see $400m, it seems way too much at this point but as you said fingers crossed 

2 minutes ago, Darth AndyLL said:

So you do not consider DH2's previews to be part of Friday when calculating week to week drops?

How else would you calculate or predict? DH2 had a ton of showtimes from midnight to 6 AM that weren't there for its second Friday. The preview numbers are built in to the overall drop but you can't use the opening Friday total to reasonably predict. Throws off everything if we do it that way. 

Edited by redfirebird2008

Assuming TFA pulls at least $32 million today, it will leapfrog Minions, Inside Out, and Furious 7 to become #3 for the year (dom).

ETA: I love the Millennium Falcon backdrop on the site. It's a visual metaphor for the movie soaring past records.

Edited by ChiSoxRox
  • Like 3

Just now, Vadermort said:

If TFA does around 250m-300m ( generous predictions) in china then $2bn will be a piece of cake. 

Its not impossible. Very very unlikely though. With a 900m DOM gross though, I believe 150-200m in China should be enough for this too get to 2B WW. Many other markets are performing on record levels. 2 markets especially - UK and Aus, are giving absolutely insane numbers while many others - Germany, Brazil, France, Japan, Scandinavia, Russia etc are giving 1st tier blockbuster numbers too.

• Like 2

Still going great guns here in the UK. There are sell outs at my local tonight, and those that aren't sold out are 90%+ full. It already has the biggest ever single day, fri, sat and Sunday, but wont take the Monday from Spectre. It also has the biggest 'real' 3/4 Day opening weekend almost double Jurassic World. (Spectres was actually counted as 7 days, but TFA will take more over its first 7..).

Tomorrow is also really busy, sell outs already showing. Weekend drop will be big though because most cinemas arent open Christmas day in the UK.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

My impression about some of your posts? You try to use arrogated ability / experience to discourage others, via implying a disagreement with your POV means the other has no clue like in this example.

Another POV is another POV, even if wrong, can still be done by someone who knows his / her stuff.

No need to add so often such kind of formulations.

In my experience people who behave so are too often not as secure feeling with their experience... as they want to appear.

It's not my POV though. I for sure didn't invent Friday proper. I remember it was

all people on here were talking about with DH2s OW because of how huge midnights were in OD. So I'm not sure why all of a sudden we want to pretend it's not a thing? And my comment wasn't directed at anyone in particular nor did I even insult anyone. I just said to argue with facts makes you look like you don't understand box office, because you're arguing with facts. And the fact is Friday proper has always been Friday minus midnights/previews. Again, I didn't invent this. Its been discussed here and on industry sites for years.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Baumer Fett said:

Me and Tele just made a bet.  I say it drops 5% or less....he has it at 17%, the middle number here is 11%.  Whoever is closer is declared the winner and the loser will donate $25.00 to the site towards the 2016 goal.

Much to learn you still have, Tele.

Who will win: #teamtele or #teambaumer? Choose your side!

• Like 1

Can someone who has been following the box office for a longer time than me explain why is today expected to drop from yesterday? Isn't the fact that many people are already off work, and that tomorrow very few people are working going to cause it to increase?

Enviado de meu XT1097 usando Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, Infernus said:

Its not impossible. Very very unlikely though. With a 900m DOM gross though, I believe 150-200m in China should be enough for this too get to 2B WW. Many other markets are performing on record levels. 2 markets especially - UK and Aus, are giving absolutely insane numbers while many others - Germany, Brazil, France, Japan, Scandinavia, Russia etc are giving 1st tier blockbuster numbers too.

If it does insane business in china, will it get anywhere close to Avatars WW gross of $2.7bn ? 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ThiagoMaia said:

This actually made me want to post for the first time, so I downloaded tap-a-talk just to say: Unforgiven deserved Avatar's gross.

:welcome:

Just now, MovieMan89 said:

It's not my POV though. I for sure didn't invent Friday proper. I remember it was

all people on here were talking about with DH2s OW because of how huge midnights were in OD. So I'm not sure why all of a sudden we want to pretend it's not a thing? And my comment wasn't directed at anyone in particular nor did I even insult anyone. I just said to argue with facts makes you look like you don't understand box office, because you're arguing with facts. And the fact is Friday proper has always been Friday minus midnights/previews. Again, I didn't invent this. Its been discussed here and on industry sites for years.

Please reread my post and think before trying to answer about a complete other theme

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ThiagoMaia said:

Can someone who has been following the box office for a longer time than me explain why is today expected to drop from yesterday? Isn't the fact that many people are already off work, and that tomorrow very few people are working going to cause it to increase?

Enviado de meu XT1097 usando Tapatalk

It's tricky. Discount Ticket Tuesday usually leads to a big drop Wednesday but the holidays will help offset it. Normally we would see a Wednesday drop of 25-30% but I'm hoping for 10-12%. 

• Like 1

A few numbers, not complete!

Star Wars: The Force Awakens    $37,361,729    -7%    4,134    --    $9,038    $325,438,146    
Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Road Chip    $4,035,816    37%    3,653    --    $1,105    $21,273,977    
Sisters    $2,887,950    14%    2,962    --    $975    $19,343,280    
The Good Dinosaur    $1,522,302    33%    2,755    -851    $553    $99,331,046    
Creed    $1,095,249    19%    2,433    -1069    $450    $89,846,653    
Krampus    $947,285    13%    2,371    -548    $400    $36,933,370    
In the Heart of the Sea    $816,352    31%    3,103    0    $263    $20,060,171    
Spectre    $417,599    20%    1,225    -1415    $341    $194,674,955    
The Night Before    $318,365    7%    1,235    -1439    $258    $42,077,601    
Spotlight    $276,174    16%    825    -264    $335    $23,317,474    
The Peanuts Movie    $261,348    24%    771    -1882    $339    $126,794,793    
Brooklyn    $247,833    23%    614    -333    $404    $16,944,409    
The Martian    $144,466    16%    493    -548    $293    $224,147,998