druv10

Star Wars TFA 2nd Wknd Actual: 149.2M !!!

Just got back from seeing it again in IMAX. The entire theater was nearly as crowded as opening night and the actual showing itself only had the first 2 rows open. What's pretty crazy is there were less open seats then on the 17th scattered everywhere else. I imagine it's going to be big tonight. And yes, enjoyed it just as much.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, TStechnij said:

Thoughts?

It's actually very in line with yours surprisingly. Like I thought I didn't like it much at first, but now I think it could've been O. Russell's masterpiece if it had a little bit more time in the editing room and some reshoots. Definitely better than AH, on par with SLP (SLP is a more consistent film but Joy has a lot more interesting stuff going on).

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Blan Solo said:

When I saw Joy today, the audience was talking more about Star Wars than Joy before the movie started lol. Probably because the next three showings had already sold out by the time I arrived for Joy (a half hour before showtime)

My gf gave it a C- (shes just being nice). Said it was very monotone and slow, and never clear. She said 4 people got up halfway through and said "this isnt worth it", and she noticed a ho hum look on peoples faces walking out.

Its anectodal, yes I know.

2 minutes ago, #ED2-D2 said:

So the only thing I like about the new SW album is pretty much the music from the originals.

You're crazy, The Scavenger is fantastic and Rey's theme is great. 

• Like 2

Just now, Blan Solo said:

It's actually very in line with yours surprisingly. Like I thought I didn't like it much at first, but now I think it could've been O. Russell's masterpiece if it had a little bit more time in the editing room and some reshoots. Definitely better than AH, on par with SLP (SLP is a more consistent film but Joy has a lot more interesting stuff going on).

I've been saying that it works so much better if you watch it as a fairytale about a woman's impowerment. You can turn the other way about the messiness if you think of it as a bare-bone archetypal, almost mythish story. I'm glad you liked it, it is the feel good movie of the year for me. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, #ED2-D2 said:

So the only thing I like about the new SW album is pretty much the music from the originals.

Yeah, the soundtrack is the only aspect of the film I'm genuinely disappointed on. Nothing new has clicked at all after 3 viewings. Even the prequels all had at least one incredible new composition that could stand up to the OT classics (Duel of the Fates, Across the Stars, and Battle of the Heroes). I actually will not be that upset now with Williams not doing VIII. Maybe it is time for some new blood with the music just like it was time for it in regards to directing. 

3 minutes ago, MrPink said:

#ED.

Papa Manning. These accusations.

What's happening? He be putting some special pizza sauce in his recovery regimen?

Bullshit. They were his wifes. I have proof.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, jandrew said:

My gf gave it a C- (shes just being nice). Said it was very monotone and slow, and never clear. She said 4 people got up halfway through and said "this isnt worth it", and she noticed a ho hum look on peoples faces walking out.

Its anectodal, yes I know.

Hmm, interesting. It's a bit more dense than the typical DOR, but her comment about the crowd is weird. My crowd was near sold out and had a lot of laughs throughout it. I think it'll have good WOM despite its oddities.

9 minutes ago, TStechnij said:

I've been saying that it works so much better if you watch it as a fairytale about a woman's impowerment. You can turn the other way about the messiness if you think of it as a bare-bone archetypal, almost mythish story. I'm glad you liked it, it is the feel good movie of the year for me. 

I think it's interesting to look at it more as a deconstruction of a soap opera (and I believe that's what Russell's aiming for), but whatever made you like it is still good. I think it'll be under-appreciated around here.

• Like 2